Lexus LC Convertible to be Released by 2020?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-12-20-lexus-lc-convertible.jpg

An All-Wheel Drive variant is also a possibility.
View the original article post

Reactions: Den

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
^I personally think RC-C is dead at this point, with the dramatic shift to SUVs.

LC-C would be even lower volume, but might make more sense from a "halo product" standpoint.

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
Interesting - however on a perhaps more boring point what news of the CT replacement? It is another Lexus model overdue for attention. The GS is due a replacement with in the next twelve months and of course the LS is still to revealed.
Disappointing for loyal owners opposition produces new models like clockwork but with Lexus we have rumours and possibilities but new models no! Let's face it as good as the LC appears - it is purely a halo car and most countries possibly will not even ever see one.

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
Interesting - however on a perhaps more boring point what news of the CT replacement? It is another Lexus model overdue for attention. The GS is due a replacement with in the next twelve months and of course the LS is still to revealed.
Disappointing for loyal owners opposition produces new models like clockwork but with Lexus we have rumours and possibilities but new models no! Let's face it as good as the LC appears - it is purely a halo car and most countries possibly will not even ever see one.

Amen. Existing Lexus owners should know if/when replacements are coming or they may look elsewhere.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I have the sense that the development of TNGA, GA-L and next gen powertrains has delayed the introduction of some other forthcoming models.

LC will come first
LS reveal in 3 weeks, but not sure on market introduction
ES - maybe in 2017...?
GS - I assume early 2018 as a 2019
IS - maybe late 2018 as a 2019?

Lexus does a famous job of smashing up all of their vehicle redesigns over a short time span, thus having 3-4 years when everything is stale and there's nothing new in the lineup. Think of 2006-2008 and 2012-2013... same thing is going to happen for 2017-2018 unless Lexus has plans to space things out. As painful as that would be, it might be a good plan for them long term.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Honestly, the cars I am most looking forward to are a luxury high performance BEV and the next Land Cruiser Diesel.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Wish Lexus would bring the RC convertible to compete with the 4 series convertible. It won't sell in droves but would bring more options to the RC line and awareness so when the 2RC comes it will be improved upon.

RC 200t
RC 300 awd
RC 350/350 convertible
RC 300h (bring to U.S.)
RC F/ RC F convertible

Reactions
I don't know about the American population. I've been looking around and lots of people are already turned off by how heavy she is. Luckily, the Lc has already exceeded the BMW 6 series (and specifically the 650i) in sales figures as well as driving dynamics. Lexus just has to make people believe that the LC is a great success before properly selling it in the U.S; filled with 12-year-old BMW fanboys (as well as adults) that wouldn't look any further than the 0-60 times. After all, it is shown that your typical 12-year-old audience is more likely to influence the car industry than any other age group.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Yes, Just do it Lexus...bring a convertible LC 500, convertible LC 500h and convertible LC F...

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Lexus LC Convertible Reportedly 2 Years Away, LC F Still LIkely

This pair of models would give Lexus challengers against BMW and Mercedes' grand tourers.
Lexus is close to having a convertible in its lineup again because the Japanese premium brand intends to slice the roof off the LC. The prospects look quite good for a more powerful variant of the coupe, too.

An unnamed insider tells Auto Express the LC convertible is a "done deal" and already has a green light for production. However, the model is still around two years from actually arriving at dealers.

Company execs aren't ready to confirm the drop top officially, though. "I hope that we will have a convertible in the near future. We know the luxury market requires a convertible," Yoshihiro Sawa, Senior Managing Officer of Lexus, told Auto Express.

The LC convertible's most direct competition would likely be BMW's recently spied 8 Series drop top. However, its more adventurous styling might lure a few customers away from the S550 Cabriolet, too.

Contrary to previous reports, Auto Express' insider claims that the rumored LC F doesn't yet have production approval, but execs are seriously considering building one. Prior rumors out of Japan indicate that the LC F would use a new biturbo 4.0-liter V8 with 621 horsepower (463 kilowatts) and make extensive use of carbon-fiber reinforced polymer to lower the coupe's weight. Despite the high performance upgrades, the interior would allegedly remain quite luxurious.

Judging by these reports, the LC F would be a closer competitor to AMG-tuned variants of the Mercedes S-Class, rather than a hardcore followup to the LFA supercar.

Lexus filed for a trademark on the LC F moniker in February 2017, indicating the company has been mulling over this idea for quite a while. Rumors even hinted that the model might have debuted at the Tokyo Motor Show in November, but it didn't show up there.

https://www.motor1.com/news/227557/lexus-lc-convertible-confirmation-rumor/