2016 Lexus RX to be Offered with 2.0L Turbo Engine in Select Markets

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-04-20-lexus-rx-200t-2016-400x200.jpg

The Lexus RX 200t was announced alongside the updated 2016 ES today at the Shanghai auto show.
View the original article post

Reactions: CIF

RDS

Fan
Reactions
RX200t is made to replace RX270 , no ?
200 makes more sense , because in most country , 2.0-litre have way cheaper tax than 2.7-litre .

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
No surprises on the RX 200t being available for other markets and not N.America (hint hint on the 350 and 450 h only unveil in New York). The NX 200t fills that "lower" tier nicely here.

With a 228 -235 hp, based on my experience with the NX 200t, the performance may be questionable on the expected 400-500 lb heavier RX unless somehow the gearing and power mapping are changed for quicker off the line acceleration compared to the NX's rather hesitant launch.

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
I dig these two pictures of the RX. Really shows the depth of the design and styling.
Every inch a chance to add that thang!
BD

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
No surprises on the RX 200t being available for other markets and not N.America (hint hint on the 350 and 450 h only unveil in New York). The NX 200t fills that "lower" tier nicely here.

With a 228 -235 hp, based on my experience with the NX 200t, the performance may be questionable on the expected 400-500 lb heavier RX unless somehow the gearing and power mapping are changed for quicker off the line acceleration compared to the NX's rather hesitant launch.

The press release hints there may be more power, but we shall see. Lexus did say in the past that the engine is easily tunable, and most certainly the RX could use more power compared to the NX.

Reactions

The RX270, equipped with a 2.7L L4 engine making 185hp, is ok for normal driving. Given that the 2.0L turbo produces 235hp and 35.7kgm, it should be more than enough for the RX.

Tinhinnh

Follower
Reactions
How come they don't put wider tires at least on the F Sport? atm its narrower than the Highlander's

rayaans

Fan
Reactions
How come they don't put wider tires at least on the F Sport? atm its narrower than the Highlander's
Simple really.

Using wider tyres would mean more contact with the road which leads to more drag and hence lower fuel economy. Also, due to greater road contact, there would be more road noise not to mention replacement tyres are generally speaking more expensive due to bigger sizes.

Tinhinnh

Follower
Reactions
Simple really.

Using wider tyres would mean more contact with the road which leads to more drag and hence lower fuel economy. Also, due to greater road contact, there would be more road noise not to mention replacement tyres are generally speaking more expensive due to bigger sizes.
I dont mean Viper-wide tires, just slightly wider for the sport trims like 245 or 255 which I dont think will significantly increase road noise, lower FE or greatly higher tire cost.

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
Perfect pictures of a new Lexus, that's not always the case !
But what if we see this in real ?
Normally, seeing a Lexus in real life is always better than the pictures...

rayaans

Fan
Reactions
Simple really.

I dont mean Viper-wide tires, just slightly wider for the sport trims like 245 or 255 which I dont think will significantly increase road noise, lower FE or greatly higher tire cost.
Just to put it into perspective, the IS300h F-Sport in the UK has 225/40 tyres up front and 255/35 tyres at back and claims 61.4mpg. The IS300h SE on the other hand with 205/55 all around claims 67.3mpg. And thats just down to a 2cm increase in front and 5cm increase in width on the back.

Tinhinnh

Follower
Reactions
Simple really.

Just to put it into perspective, the IS300h F-Sport in the UK has 225/40 tyres up front and 255/35 tyres at back and claims 61.4mpg. The IS300h SE on the other hand with 205/55 all around claims 67.3mpg. And thats just down to a 2cm increase in front and 5cm increase in width on the back.
Thats a considerable difference, from big/wider 18's to smaller/narrower 16's, its no wonder. What I suggested is just slightly wider from 235 to at least 245 but still on same wheel size.