Updated 2016 Lexus ES Debuts at Auto Shanghai

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-04-19-2016-lexus-es-update-hero-400x200.jpg

The 2016 Lexus ES debuted at Auto Shanghai just moments ago, here’s the full press release along with the first photos of updated model.
View the original article post

Brian

Founding Member
Reactions
Nice! I've been waiting for the article. Thanks Krew.

I am actually in the middle of shopping for a new car. I've always loved the ES design and interior size and was about to pull the trigger on a NGP 300h with LG interior this past week, but wanted to take a step back to think about it. I am also looking and almost signed for a 450h, but I think I'll wait for the redesign for the extra interior room.

Decisions, decisions, regardless, the new ES looks spectacular. I love the new front end and lights. Wasn't concerned about road noise on a 300h, but my wife has mentioned her 350 gets a little noisy. The extra stability is also nice - especially for a long car.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
The exterior updates are great, gives it more of a mini-LS vibe.

I expected just a tad more in terms of the interior updates, but overall I am fairly happy at the interior changes. New steering wheel, more leather and more wood in parts around the cabin, and overall much more new colors offered. Also Shimamoku wood option, that is a great addition! Some of the weaker parts of the interior still remain. I now expect the next-gen ES to be a BIG step up in interior, similar to how the new RX was.

Overall a nicely done refresh.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Little touches like the new steering wheel (like the new RX's), padded trim along the console, new gauges, new shifter, window switch plates seem to address the current ES' cheap elements. Interior looks upscale. Bravo Lexus!

Oh, and as expected, an RX 200t launch for non N.American markets.

Reactions
I really was hoping for the 2.0l turbo to be part of the engine lineup in the refresh. But maybe it will come when the whole redesign happens.
A couple of things:
The front is something I like but don't like at the same time. The way the spindle grille is structured, it reminds me of the way the HS looks. But I like the change in the headlights and the tail lights. I was looking at an ES during a stop and I couldn't help but notice that the ES is the only model (sedan wise) in the lexus line up that doesn't have a L-shaped style taillights.
Back to the 2.0l turbo, I think when or if the 2.0l turbo is available on the ES, that is the time when the ES will have a available F-sport as an option which would really open the model up to more buyers I believe

GuoxJason

Fan
Reactions
The ES DESPERATELY needed that finish around the window switches! The taillights FINALLY show form in the dark with those L-shapes. The DRLs FINALLY have a distinguishable L-shape that should be visible from wide angles and FINALLY do not look like they're hanging far below the main bulbs at night.

Reactions
Hmm. They ever-so-slightly managed to make the exterior look more like the Avalon, especially that rear chrome strip.

Interior is a whole lotta win though.

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
Nice! I've been waiting for the article. Thanks Krew.

I am actually in the middle of shopping for a new car. I've always loved the ES design and interior size and was about to pull the trigger on a NGP 300h with LG interior this past week, but wanted to take a step back to think about it. I am also looking and almost signed for a 450h, but I think I'll wait for the redesign for the extra interior room.

Decisions, decisions, regardless, the new ES looks spectacular. I love the new front end and lights. Wasn't concerned about road noise on a 300h, but my wife has mentioned her 350 gets a little noisy. The extra stability is also nice - especially for a long car.
Lexus noticed that too, and has added more sound deadening to the 2016 front end.
BD

Reactions
Looks like a good evolutionary update to bring the ES in line with the design cues of the rest of the line up .....still tho, that rear end looks too similar to the new Camry rear end imo

mikeavelli

Reactions
Loving the interior...there are now 4 wood options and the interior will feature nu-luxe, leather and semi-analine leather....

Considering most ES buyers feel the car is fast enough and it uses regular gas, I guess there is no reason to add another engine besides the 3.5 V-6 and the ES 300h

D

DDas

I think it looks excellent! If I was to be disappointing in anything it would be with Toyota. I do not understand why they felt the need to slap a spindle like grille on the Camry and give it ES like taillights. It just makes Lexus look bad when they're trying to distance themselves from Toyota looking products. Oh well. The ES looks good either way. I love that new steering wheel like the RX's.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Yeah, I wouldn't expect a new engine until the next-gen ES model. Also surprising that the press release did not mention availability for the refreshed ES, unless I missed it?