Lexus March 2018 Sales Report

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Lexus March 2018 Sales Report

18-04-03-lexus-ls-march-sales.jpg

Sales down 6.7%, but LS sells 1k in its first full month.
View the original article post

Last edited:

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
One broader trend worth watching is General Motors' decision, announced today, to publish U.S. sales on a quarterly instead of monthly basis. Thus, after their March 2018 report, we won't see reports until June, September and December.

At present, only GM and Tesla follow this pattern, but other carmakers (Including Ford) are said to be considering it as well. Will Toyota follow suit?

Axel

Fan
Reactions
Lexus car sales are going to struggle for so long lexus don't change the spindle grill into something loveable and the styling. Conservative styling on this new platform would look fantfantas sometsome only a good stance will do the job

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Lexus car sales are going to struggle for so long lexus don't change the spindle grill into something loveable and the styling. Conservative styling on this new platform would look fantfantas sometsome only a good stance will do the job

I basically agree, but that still doesn't explain why the Lexus SUVs, with generally the same spindle grilles, are selling. And the spindle grille on the new RX, a perennial hot-seller, is arguably the largest and most garish one of all....more so than on any of the Lexus sedans.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
As expected, Lexus LS is doing really well in sales, with 1000 sold, basically their monthly allotment.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
GS number is wrong.. I think it should be +1.3% ?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
GS number is wrong.. I think it should be +1.3% ?

Percentages are based on Daily Selling Rate -- March 2018 had 28 selling days, March 2017 had 27.

Axel

Fan
Reactions
I basically agree, but that still doesn't explain why the Lexus SUVs, with generally the same spindle grilles, are selling. And the spindle grille on the new RX, a perennial hot-seller, is arguably the largest and most garish one of all....more so than on any of the Lexus sedans.

Lexus cars look kinda fuzzy looking like melting metal then they abondon what they good at the box design. About spindle grill I'd say keep it but cut it in half, now the Toyota front grills have matured and look better then lexus grills the SUVs are much clear. Spindle grill have failed to mature into something we love

Reactions
I don't think the grill is the main problem. A buyer going into the Lexus showroom is wanting a Crossover or SUV is; or the fact that the Germans are also as competitive.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Lexus cars look kinda fuzzy looking like melting metal then they abondon what they good at the box design. About spindle grill I'd say keep it but cut it in half, now the Toyota front grills have matured and look better then lexus grills the SUVs are much clear. Spindle grill have failed to mature into something we love

Toyota's hottest vehicle right now is new Camry, not only best seller but also with low inventory. And it has huge grille.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I was checking Lexus and Toyota inventory levels and it is interesting:
- RX L is almost nonexistent, seems to be selling out, not enough inventory. RX is also doing well on inventory, they need more.
- Still not enough NX's.
- LS is selling out, low inventory numbers.
- RC and GS have well managed inventories. Not a big surplus. I can understand RC with winter and facelift coming, but GS? Obviously they decided this is sales target.

On Toyota side, we have Camry with low inventory levels as well as Tacoma thats hot, despite new factory output coming online. I wonder what would be possible sales for Tacoma if they had enough inventory.... more than 350k per year? 250k is given this year. C-HR is also limited in inventory, they seem to have about 5k per month.

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
Lexus car sales are going to struggle for so long lexus don't change the spindle grill into something loveable and the styling.

Lexus car sales are going to struggle as long as people want SUVs and CUVs over standard sedans.

I really wish people would stop and really think about a market as a whole before imposing their personal preferences over said entire market. Changing or tweaking the spindle isn't going to surge sales.

I was at the Angels game today where Lexus sponsors the club level and has ads everywhere. The New LS F Sport is present and had many admirers. The car has great proportions, designed well, highly desirable and has presence. Its something you'd be proud of a valet pulling up for you, for sure.

Last edited:

GoHuskers

Fan
Reactions
Lexus car sales are going to struggle as long as people want SUVs and CUVs over standard sedans.

I really wish people would stop and really think about a market as a whole before imposing their personal preferences over said entire market. Changing or tweaking the spindle isn't going to surge sales.

I'm 100% agree with the statement above. Both @Axel and @mmcartalk opinions are solely based on their personal "feelings" and they may NOT even own a "current" Lexus. We have 5 current Lexus with the "darth vader" grill and love them. The problem is they are all SUVs. I have 10 siblings on both sides of my family (blood and in-laws) and we currently have 19 vehicles of which we have 1 car (IS250), 2 trucks (Tundra, F150) and the rest are SUVs.

So, as long as gas is under $3/gal, trucks and SUVs will be sold in droves.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I'm 100% agree with the statement above. Both @Axel and @mmcartalk options are solely based o their personal "feelings" and they may NOT even own a "current" Lexus. We have 5 current Lexus with the "darth vader" grill and love them. The problem is they are all SUVs. I have 10 siblings on both sides of my family (blood and in-laws) and we currently have 19 vehicles of which we have 1 car (IS250), 2 trucks (Tundra, F150) and the rest are SUVs.

So, as long as gas is under $3/gal, trucks and SUVs will be sold in droves.

Lexus has plenty of SUVs too, and more are coming... so just like everyone else, they have to produce more SUVs, less cars and try to lose as little money on cars as possible.

Reactions

I was at the Angels game today where Lexus sponsors the club level and has ads everywhere. The New LS F Sport is present and had many admirers. The car has great proportions, designed well, highly desirable and has presence. Its something you'd be proud of a valet pulling up for you, for sure.
Cool, you saw Shohei's first home run :thumbsup:

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Lexus has plenty of SUVs too, and more are coming... so just like everyone else, they have to produce more SUVs, less cars and try to lose as little money on cars as possible.

Yeah, I'd really like to see the production LF-1 sooner rather than later for that reason.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I don't think the grill is the main problem. A buyer going into the Lexus showroom is wanting a Crossover or SUV is; or the fact that the Germans are also as competitive.

Agree. Lower sales have nearly nothing to do with the spindle grille. It's because SUVs have taken over, and Lexus doesn't have enough inventory or product.

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
Cool, you saw Shohei's first home run :thumbsup:

He was quite popular with the crowd, the fans have high expectations from him and he delivered. I believe it was a home run and bases were loaded, giving the Angels 6 points in the 2nd inning.

With that being said, the anti-spindle sentiment is getting weaker and weaker. At this point it all just sounds like grandpa not understanding that odd screen all the kiddos are fiddling around with all day. Get with the times, people! I'm even seeing more and more women in F-sport now.