CarAdvice Comparison: The Lexus NX 200t F SPORT vs. BMW X3 xDrive28i

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-04-15-lexus-nx-200t-f-sport-bmw-x3-xdrive28i-400x200.jpg

In a CarAdvice comparison test between the Lexus NX 200t F SPORT and BMW X3 xDrive28i, reviewer Matt Campbell found the contest too close to call.
View the original article post

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
This part was particularly interesting to me:

Lexus claims the all-wheel-drive NX200t Sports Luxury has a fuel use rating of 7.9 litres per 100 kilometres, while also stating the SUV can dispatch with a sprint from 0-100km/h in 7.1 seconds.

[The BMW's familiar] outputs of 180kW and 350Nm have a slight power edge in this test (by 5kW), and its performance time is superior to its Japanese rival, with a claimed sprint from 0-100km/h in just 6.5sec. Fuel use is claimed at a more frugal 7.3L/100km, too.

Drumroll please...
On our test, however, it was the Lexus that posted a more impressive fuel consumption figure: the NX used an average of 10.1L/100km, while the X3 used an average of 11.2L/100km. It might not be enough to change your mind about a car in the short term, but that savings will add up over time.

Nice work, Lexus!

Dreski

Fan
Reactions
A lot more luxury for the $buck, tis NX is...

I get grossed out by the X3, X1 and any baby X5 wanna be's... BMW people actually look down on them. Bleh LOL

Reactions
The absolute best part about the fuel consumption tests is that the NX trumps its closest rivals with a 6 speed gearbox as opposed to the rest using 8 or even 9 speed. The chief engineer Kato-san and his team did an excellent job with getting the best efficient packaging for the NX. Well thought out gear ratios, compact and light 6 speed gearbox proves sufficiently up for the task for this class. Lexus will probably drop in the 8 speed for the NX facelift in time to come and by then, i am sure it will take this up another notch!

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Tires probably had a lot to do with fuel consumption difference.

Neither of these cars excites me one bit.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Tires probably had a lot to do with fuel consumption difference.

Possible, but more likely aerodynamics. The BMW is more squared-off/traditional SUV in its styling, and almost certainly produces more air drag.

RAL

Reactions
Just looking at photo of the two basically the same color . . . IMHO the NX styling is just so far superior!

Reactions: CIF

DFGeneer

Fan
Reactions
The Lexus engine can switch to the more efficient Atkinson cycle under light to moderate load. I think this is one of the main reasons for the better real-world fuel economy.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
The NX needs better looking wheels!! =)
Easily fixable :D

As for the article, the comparison was with a non-F Sport NX.

If they did compare apples to apples, NX F Sport with AVS set to S+ might have equaled or beat the X3 M Sport in the "Sporting" equation of SUV. I can vouch for how composed and comfortable the AVS transforms the NX in Eco, Normal, and Sport S modes, yet becomes firmer (not harsh) with near-flat cornering in Sport S+ mode. :)

Reactions: RAL

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Easily fixable :D

If they did compare apples to apples, NX F Sport with AVS set to S+ might have equaled or beat the X3 M Sport in the "Sporting" equation of SUV. I can vouch for how composed and comfortable the AVS transforms the NX in Eco, Normal, and Sport S modes, yet becomes firmer (not harsh) with near-flat cornering in Sport S+ mode. :)

Yeah, this definitely was not an apples to apples comparison in terms of having the right model variants for handling and sport driving testing. This is of course nothing new for many publications, and for comparisons Lexus is involved in.

Chris Harris did a very fascinating article years ago on the ugly truth of auto reviews and auto comparisons, which if I remember correctly, got him banned for several years from reviewing any Ferrari models.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions

My mistake -- should have realized from the photo this was a standard NX 200t and not the F SPORT model. Thanks for the correction!