Lexus January 2018 Sales Report

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew

Lexus January 2018 Sales Report
18-02-01-lexus-nx-sales-usa.jpg

Lexus NX up 36.2% for best-ever January sales in the USA.
View the original article post

Reactions: Den

mikeavelli

Reactions
Lexus up 10% great start to the year. Cars actually didn't fall off the face of the earth. NX and RX are amazing.....

If the LS can hit 800-1000 units a month that would be awesome. The LC will hopefully jump back up with warmer weather. There are some other special editions coming but I don't think its going to bump those cars up to much.

The LUV's don't need much help but the 7 seat RX will add some conquest sales..

Demetrius

Founding Member
Reactions
I think there was a post last year saying there would be 14 new models shown this year. Seeing as its now down to 10, I assume the 4 we've seen are LS500, LS500h, LC500 Special Edition, and LF-1 Limitless. 10 to go.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I think there was a post last year saying there would be 14 new models shown this year. Seeing as its now down to 10, I assume the 4 we've seen are LS500, LS500h, LC500 Special Edition, and LF-1 Limitless. 10 to go.

Lexus is off to a very strong start this year. The NX, both gas and hybrid, had their best January ever, and the all-new three-row RXL is just now starting to hit dealership showrooms,” said Jeff Bracken, group vice president and general manager, Lexus division. “Combined with the launch of our fifth-generation LS and LS hybrid this month, along with the Limited Edition LC Inspiration Series and two-row LX, we're very optimistic about the year ahead. These new models will be followed throughout the year by 10 additional new models.”

14 does not count concepts... so I guess has to be cars coming on sale and not revealed before. So it ES would likely be at least 2 of these... then UX certainly another 2?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions
Wow, trucks accounted for almost 72% of sales from only 4 models, 2 of which should have been refreshed years ago. They could really use the UX and LF-1 in their lineup!

Reactions: CIF

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions

14 does not count concepts... so I guess has to be cars coming on sale and not revealed before. So it ES would likely be at least 2 of these... then UX certainly another 2?

The 14 were gradually increased, first to 15, then to 17. The most current count appears towards the end of this thread.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Amy Wilson of Automotive News brings us this overview of the January 2018 luxury brand sales race in the United States:

LUXURY: Mercedes starts 2018 with clear lead over BMW
After winning two straight annual luxury sales crowns, Mercedes-Benz USA is kicking off 2018 with a clear-cut lead in the U.S. luxury market despite a small skid in January.

The segment's other top brands mirrored last year's annual results, with BMW and Lexus finishing in the second and third spots.

Mercedes' U.S. sales fell 0.9 percent in January to 25,307 vehicles, excluding the brand's commercial van sales. Mercedes called out the GLC compact crossover and the flagship S class for helping the brand in January.

The GLC "is doing extremely well with customers," Mercedes-Benz USA CEO Dietmar Exler told Automotive News last month. "We were outsold a couple of times last year, so we increased supply to the dealers drastically."

BMW rode the strength of a 5 percent jump in volume to the No. 2 luxury spot, selling 19,016 vehicles. It was helped by gains for the redesigned X3 compact crossover and 5-series sedan.

Executives are optimistic the brand can achieve a slight increase in U.S. sales in 2018, BMW of North America CEO Bernhard Kuhnt said in a January interview.

"Why am I positive about it?" Kuhnt said. "We are going to launch in March the X2. We have a full year of X3. We have a full year of the 5 series, which we didn't have last year. And we will change to other X models.

Lexus' U.S. deliveries soared 15 percent for the month to come in at No. 3 with 17,914 vehicles. The strength of the NX compact crossover and the new three-row RXL helped it make up ground on what had been a terrible start to 2017. The brand's U.S. sales dropped by more than 25 percent in January 2017.

Total U.S. luxury sales rose 1.8 percent in January to 133,642 vehicles. Rounding out the segment's top five were Audi, with sales of 14,511 vehicles, up 9.9 percent, and Infiniti, with deliveries of 10,635 vehicles, down 8 percent.

Other luxury brands with gains for the month were Land Rover, Volvo and Porsche. The biggest decline among came from Lincoln, whose sales dropped 27 percent in January.

In summary, then, here are the U.S. luxury brand sales rankings for January 2018 (with % changes vs January 2017):

1) Mercedes-Benz: 25,307 (-0.9%)
2) BMW: 19,016 (+5%)
3) Lexus: 17,914 (+15%)
4) Audi: 14,511 (+9.9%)
5) Infiniti: 10,635 (-8%)

Last edited:

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Good job, still with the LS , RX-7seaters , LX-4seaters and the UX entering the showrooms and with this good start , I believe Lexus may take the top spot again

Reactions
Good job, still with the LS , RX-7seaters , LX-4seaters and the UX entering the showrooms and with this good start , I believe Lexus may take the top spot again

I say they need to first revolutionize the ES, then release the UX, bring ACP standard models to the lineup, and potentially bring in a few surprises to their lineup to really fire up their sales. The RX L, the NX refresh, and of course the flagship LC/LS helped too, but I believe when they release these, they will destroy the rest of the pack, like they always did. Keep going Lexus! <3

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I say they need to first revolutionize the ES, then release the UX, bring ACP standard models to the lineup, and potentially bring in a few surprises to their lineup to really fire up their sales. The RX L, the NX refresh, and of course the flagship LC/LS helped too, but I believe when they release these, they will destroy the rest of the pack, like they always did. Keep going Lexus! <3

with UX, RX-L, ES , LS they will certainly be able to add a lot more sales but keep in mind that some of these are coming later in the year and their impact will be more limited... in the end, 300k-350k is their natural territory, being first or 2nd doesnt matter too much imho.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Lexus' lead over Audi continues to get smaller. I think that within 3 years, they could meet or pass Lexus in USA sales volume.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Lexus' lead over Audi continues to get smaller. I think that within 3 years, they could meet or pass Lexus in USA sales volume.

It actually grew larger in January, not smaller.since Lexus grew 15% and Audi 10%.. but sure, in general Audi should see uptick in sales since they are full lineup manufacturer and have vast lineup, currently much larger than Lexus. They should join the 300k club in next 7-8 years.

Their main problem is that their parent company is doing so bad in the USA, forever.

Reactions
Their main problem is that their parent company is doing so bad in the USA, forever.
I wouldn't call this bad news
Volkswagen of America's auto sales in January beat the overall market with the Chattanooga-built Atlas SUV making up more than 17 percent of the company's U.S. results last month.

The automaker's total sales of 24,744 climbed 5.2 percent in January over a year ago on the strength of the Atlas and the redesigned Tiguan SUV, VW reported on Thursday.

SUVs accounted for 52 percent of total volume for the Volkswagen brand last month. Atlas posted sales of 4,303. The 2018 Tiguan sales hit 6,336 in the month. Tiguan Limited recorded 2,034 in sales.
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/breakingnews/story/2018/feb/01/vws-us-sales-rise/462661/

For an embattled company, they did all right for the month thanks to new SUVs, scandal or not. Cars is a different story...

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

mikeavelli

Reactions
VW in a year became a SUV brand. It just shows it doesn't matter the brand or how good or bad the thing is, people buy SUVs. You cannot blame any company for going that route. It is what it is.

I think Mazda barely outsold VW as well. Its crazy to think Mercedes sold as much!

Reactions
That's horrible numbers for largest manufacturer in the world... They are easily outsold by Subaru that sells 12x less cars worldwide.
True, they're still more niche in the US unlike in Europe...Subaru OTOH is a darling here, thanks to their marketing and good understanding of their target demographic buyer base.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
It actually grew larger in January, not smaller.since Lexus grew 15% and Audi 10%.. but sure, in general Audi should see uptick in sales since they are full lineup manufacturer and have vast lineup, currently much larger than Lexus. They should join the 300k club in next 7-8 years.

If you look back at previous years - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 - Audi is slowly narrowing their gap with Lexus overall. To your point, Lexus doesn't sell anything comparable to A3, Q3 and some of their cheaper models that essentially compete with Toyota, so over time, I actually expect them to surpass Lexus. I'm totally OK with that and agree with Lexus' strategy to stay above $30k.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Another factoid: Lexus' 15% increase in U.S. sales in January 2018 vs January 2017 is the 4th-highest such percentage increase among all car brands (tied with Mazda). The only brands achieving a higher percentage increase in sales are Toyota (+17%), Mitsubishi (+31%) and Volvo (+61%).