Reactions
krew

The Lexus LC Reimagined as a Mid-Engine Supercar
18-01-29-lexus-lc-mid-engine-thumb.jpg

Pure fantasy, pure fun.
View the original article post

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Agreed that this rendering looks really good. But here we get into one of my automotive picayune pet peeves. Lexus makes (or has made) a number of mid-engined regular production cars. The LFA, definitely, and the LC and 5LS sort of qualify as well. The definition of mid-engine is that the engine sits inside the wheelbase, towards the center of the car. But you need to specify whether it's front-mid-engine (engine just behind the front axle) or rear-mid-engine (engine just head of the rear axle). Thus, that rendering reimagines the LC as a rear-mid-engine supercar. It is already mid-engined, albeit front-mid-engined, especially as a V6 LC 500h. (The V8 LC 500 "cheats" by having more of its engine hanging ahead of the front axle line). And it's not just me that has this hangup. Jason Torchinsky of Jalopnik once brilliantly wrote about this. I'm 100% with him on this.

Then again, if you think about it literally, only one truly mid-engined car has ever been mass-produced, the "engine smack in the middle of the car" Zundapp Janus from the late 1950's.

011.jpg

jannus-dwg.jpg

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
That rendering looks great, but let's see the production LC F first before deciding if it needs to go further.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
a more mid engined LC sounds nice, but I doubt it. it will take a lot of engineering and that pretty well totally removes the back seat, which has value for insurance rates. it sounds nice though! and I really do love the rendering. Mid engine cars are much more agile on corners.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Honestly when I saw the link I went back in my wild dreams of why Lexus do not buy any maker of those 3 (Aston Martin, Lotus, McLaren)

Now Lotus taken by Geely
Lexus still have 2 varieties, anyone of them will give it the mojo it needs in Europe and make it penetrate more in this brandy market

Lexus Cohen

Follower
Reactions
Honestly when I saw the link I went back in my wild dreams of why Lexus do not buy any maker of those 3 (Aston Martin, Lotus, McLaren)

Now Lotus taken by Geely
Lexus still have 2 varieties, anyone of them will give it the mojo it needs in Europe and make it penetrate more in this brandy market
Thank you! Aston Martin would be ideal!

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Aston Martin is already "taken" by Mercedes. Interior is terribly cheap looking with Mercedes bin parts, worse than Maserati. McLaren is independent.

Not taken by shares , just taken by supplies contracts

The fact that A.Martin also had the Previous Lotus chassis engineering stuff is amazing thing , plus it was one of the few companies that was interested in the Lexus V10 engine, also with A.Martin "Lagonda" branch it will be easy to compete with the best from Bentley and Rolls-Royce

GTG

Fan
Reactions
I am new to site , what's up everyone . I think that a mid engine LC should be the next LFA , pushing 700 to 750 horse power .

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
I am new to site , what's up everyone . I think that a mid engine LC should be the next LFA , pushing 700 to 750 horse power .

welcome @ GTG! I am looking forward to the LC F. while I was skeptical above about whether it would be a mid-engine car, a mid-engine LC F would be awesome. Forget the back seats! if you're going to spend the money that this will cost, higher insurance rates because you have no back seats won't matter. Not only that, but the back seats in the LC 500 are really useless for adults and, well, I'm not driving kids around in my LC.

I was speaking with the GM at my Lexus dealership (Tom Wood Lexus) earlier and he said there WILL BE A LC F, but it won't be until 2020 at least, and the car will definitely be a car for the track. I'm waiting b/c I want one. mid-engine would be fantastic!

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Agreed that this rendering looks really good. But here we get into one of my automotive picayune pet peeves. Lexus makes (or has made) a number of mid-engined regular production cars. The LFA, definitely, and the LC and 5LS sort of qualify as well. The definition of mid-engine is that the engine sits inside the wheelbase, towards the center of the car. But you need to specify whether it's front-mid-engine (engine just behind the front axle) or rear-mid-engine (engine just head of the rear axle). Thus, that rendering reimagines the LC as a rear-mid-engine supercar. It is already mid-engined, albeit front-mid-engined, especially as a V6 LC 500h. (The V8 LC 500 "cheats" by having more of its engine hanging ahead of the front axle line). And it's not just me that has this hangup. Jason Torchinsky of Jalopnik once brilliantly wrote about this. I'm 100% with him on this.

Then again, if you think about it literally, only one truly mid-engined car has ever been mass-produced, the "engine smack in the middle of the car" Zundapp Janus from the late 1950's.

011.jpg

jannus-dwg.jpg
lol isn't that car one of the characters from the Cars 2 film? I think its name was Professor Zundapp or something similar.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
lol isn't that car one of the characters from the Cars 2 film? I think its name was Professor Zundapp or something similar.
Yes, you are correct. He's also referred to as "Professor Z", or, simply, "The Professor" for short, while his full name is Wolfgang Otto Zündapp, according to Disney and Pixar Wikis.