This Weekend: Lexus Racing at the Rolex 24 at Daytona

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
This Weekend: Lexus Racing at the Rolex 24 at Daytona

18-01-25-lexus-rc-f-gt3-daytona.jpg

Lexus Enthusiast in Daytona to watch the race.
View the original article post

Last edited:

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Just spent the day at Daytona Speedway talking with the drivers and team members. Had a hot lap around the track in a GS F, also had a Pedialyte Mimosa.

Great start to the weekend, and I can see why people are so crazy about racing. It's been a real eye-opener.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
Just spent the day at Daytona Speedway talking with the drivers and team members. Had a hot lap around the track in a GS F, also had a Pedialyte Mimosa.

Great start to the weekend, and I can see why people are so crazy about racing. It's been a real eye-opener.

jealous! did you know that the fastest time for the Lightning lap at the VIR (virginia international raceway) was set by a Lexus RCF GT3 prototype which is essentially what they are driving at IMSA. that's impressive since the competition is the Ford GT.

This year I have developed a real love for track driving. I saw the Lexus team at Watkins Glen last year, and will see them again this year as well. Must be a blast doing a hot lap in a GS F at Daytona. Enjoy! and thanks for reporting on the event

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
so far things look great, at least at my last viewing. lexus was running 2nd and 3rd; looking very very fast! -- i edited out my other comments RE how well Lexus is doing compared to AMG etc. we have fallen back considerably; now in 9th - its a touch competition; there is still time. GO LEXUS. Scott Pruett now driving

Last edited:

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
I was wondering what happened that dropped them from 2nd and 3rd. I was watching the race, they were right at the top, then I had to take a break, then #15 was down to 10th. I was looking at fastest lap times, and Lexus was right up there.

I'm not sure what a "software mapping issue" is or the precise "timing" rules that led to their having to delay or wait. Unfortunate! Nonetheless, given their final placing and this big glitch, they did well.

Can anyone explain what this 'software mapping issue' is or means in the context of this race?

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
From my understanding each regulatory body no matter what racing series has strict rules about what ECU is allow to do and what it is not like how to limit engine RPM, fuel usage, fuel-air mixture, etc. Constructors have to work within the legal bounds to make the most out of the car so many working modes or maps are applied to the ECU through software mapping. This gives drivers the ability to change maps during the race like qualifying mode, fuel saving mode, etc. Lexus must have glitched out somehow and this has affected the car's performance somehow.

On a side note Acura/Honda has done such a great job on their second try with NSX GT3!

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
From my understanding each regulatory body no matter what racing series has strict rules about what ECU is allow to do and what it is not like how to limit engine RPM, fuel usage, fuel-air mixture, etc. Constructors have to work within the legal bounds to make the most out of the car so many working modes or maps are applied to the ECU through software mapping. This gives drivers the ability to change maps during the race like qualifying mode, fuel saving mode, etc. Lexus must have glitched out somehow and this has affected the car's performance somehow.

On a side note Acura/Honda has done such a great job on their second try with NSX GT3!

thanks, makes sense, but I must admit that I thought it was simply all out racing within a category without limitations apart from basic engine and car specs. Complicated! you are right, Acura NSX GT3 really did well!

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I'm sure it's been obvious that things have slowed down since the Rolex 24 -- should have been smarter and not stayed up for nearly the whole race. Got sick :expressionless:

Feeling about 70% now, and should be getting back to normal.