Next-Generation Lexus ES Sedan Arriving Fall 2018?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-10-16-lexus-es-sedan.jpg

A Japanese newspaper reports the sedan will go on sale by the end of next year.
View the original article post

Reactions: Den

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
Why wouldn't it arrive next fall?

The Toyota Camry is redesigned, the Lexus ES is based upon the Camry platform, and the Lexus follows King Camry to market a year later.

This is the way its always been done.....
BD

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I figured as much -- looks like we're in the final days of the GS after all. No way Lexus sells two mid-size sedans in Europe.

keep in mind that GS currently sells in hundreds in Europe, so it is as if it does not exist... if they morph it into something like A7, it will likely sell better in EU than now... at higher price.

Just like LC currently outselling RC.

Europe does not care about cookie cutter vehicles (bland) from non-domestic brands... it has to be something that nobody else offers for it to sell well. Thats why NX and RX sell well, and why LS600h sold well 10 years ago. But if they want fleet, they have 5, A6 and E at low fleet prices and Lexus cant match them by long shot in pricing.

Yuan

Fan
Reactions
If Lexus only want to outsell Germans, losing GS is nothing, but if they really want to become more prestige than Mercedes, they need to reinvent the GS into a four door coupe, and not just four door coupe-ish (like the LS with a "coupe" like sillouette). They need a real four door coupe like the A7, or even the Paranama (a wagon-ish coupe).

I dont think Lexus will kill the GS since they are even making yacht prototypes and is atually planning to make one in production. Toyota has like 20 billion dollars of cash reserve, and the new modualr platforms won't cost as much for Toyota to make a completely different GS.

Lasse J. Nordvik

Follower
Reactions
I figured as much -- looks like we're in the final days of the GS after all. No way Lexus sells two mid-size sedans in Europe.
But at the same time;there was a Lexus exec (from Australia,was it?) who claimed the GS would continue with the next one having a design style similar to the new LS.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
If Lexus only want to outsell Germans, losing GS is nothing, but if they really want to become more prestige than Mercedes, they need to reinvent the GS into a four door coupe, and not just four door coupe-ish (like the LS with a "coupe" like sillouette). They need a real four door coupe like the A7, or even the Paranama (a wagon-ish coupe).

Well said - this sums up my thoughts on GS/ES very well. ES can be "good enough" but "good enough" is not really a premium approach - that is where they need GS.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@Lasse J. Nordvik

Yes ! Australian manager say this fastback 4 doors coupe and a sport cross with the same outback / allroad style as high off-road yet fastback end station wagon may both enter production soon

Which makes me think of both LFS & LFX

Reactions
Nice looking car. If GS is face out due to ES then ES needs to become better. Today Toyota Camry has tons of new tech including a HUD , even the Avalon has a terrific design for charging phones, plus a much better noise reduction and handling. So the ES needs to be upgraded with all the Avalon and Camry features to support higher price plus needs to improve road noise and features to fit the space of GS Plus needs to have folding mirrors in order to take GS space, a few inches in length will help.

Money space between ES and LS is too large with not offering a better product the competition can take advantage.

Today BMW, Mercedes and others are getting into the 40 to 55 K taking sales from Lexus and they are not doing enough including Toyota Avalon with better features options and ride can be get for less that 8 K than a ES.

Lexus needs to justify that gap and a GS space.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeavelli

Reactions
It's going to be a big change for the ES and yes it doesn't bode well for the GS. Hopefully the GS lives on in another body style.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
keep in mind that GS currently sells in hundreds in Europe, so it is as if it does not exist... if they morph it into something like A7, it will likely sell better in EU than now... at higher price.

But at the same time;there was a Lexus exec (from Australia,was it?) who claimed the GS would continue with the next one having a design style similar to the new LS.

Thanks dudes -- I should have been more clear in my post. I don't think the GS can survive as it exists today, but if Lexus switches it up and embraces the GS as a four-door coupe/mini LS :heart_eyes: