Lexus Renames Turbocharged IS & GS Models

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-08-30-lexus-is-f-sport-2018.jpg

Gone: IS 200t & GS 200t Now: IS 300 RWD & GS 300.
View the original article post

Reactions
I don't get it...why not making both the IS300 rwd & awd 2L turbo?? Instead of working on an IS covered with LED & hot sauce edition they Should've worked on putting the 2L with the AWD system in the IS...

mikeavelli

Reactions
Love that the 300 nameplate is back on the IS/GS like this.....
The first 300 Lexus cars
ES 300 had a 3.0 V-6 for 185hp
GS 300/SC 300 had a 3.0 I-6 for 225hp
RX 300 had V-6 for 220hp (I might be wrong on that one)
IS 3oo had I-6 for 215hp

Technically even back then both were 300 and had different engines and HP figures. This just occurred to me lol.

2018 GS/IS has 2.0 I-4 turbo with 260hp....

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
Well this makes sense and I'm glad they acknowledged the mistake they made while transitioning to turbo. Displacement made sense in NA era since the actual size of the engine translated into power but with turbo you either put horsepower on the badge or you just name the tiers in the lineup. 300 for midrange and 500 for high end models. There should never be IS/RC/ES500, that exclusive 500 badge most likely will be reserved for LS/LC/upcoming FSSUV and perhaps repositioned GS. Even if IS/RC come up with turbo V6 they should still be named 350 or 400

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I don't get it...why not making both the IS300 rwd & awd 2L turbo?? Instead of working on an IS covered with LED & hot sauce edition they Should've worked on putting the 2L with the AWD system in the IS...

Let this be the last time the Sriracha IS is ever mentioned on the forums. :mad::joy:

Agree that this whole "300 AWD / 300 RWD with different engines" thing is way too confusing, but it's better than keeping the 200t designation. Sounds wimpy in my opinion.

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
Wonderful pic of the IS in red really stunning. The name change is somewhat interesting but confusing why call a 2 litre car 300? Not the brightest move i think however regardless cars look very good.
Any news on the CT200 replacement? Gone quiet on this now earlier had news of the crossover and a rendering of a smart look hatchback type of car but suddenly all quiet?
The new LS also looks stunning in Red but probably not the right colour for this prestigious vehicle.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Wonderful pic of the IS in red really stunning. The name change is somewhat interesting but confusing why call a 2 litre car 300? Not the brightest move i think however regardless cars look very good.
Any news on the CT200 replacement? Gone quiet on this now earlier had news of the crossover and a rendering of a smart look hatchback type of car but suddenly all quiet?
The new LS also looks stunning in Red but probably not the right colour for this prestigious vehicle.

because everyone else does it so IS200t looks like it cant merge on the highway.

As to the CT, nothing new yet.