Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-07-31-lexus-twin-turbo-v6.jpg

News from Down Under.
View the original article post

Reactions
"... it would only be logical, that it will also be placed into the upcoming GS F."

So there will be a new GS after all and will not be cancelled? It's so confusing.

LDeleuran

Fan
Reactions
With the LS moving up in size (longer than the current long wheel base version) and the IS being as compact as it is (I seriously barely feel a difference between it and the CT) there would be a huge void without the GS. The FWD ES might be the same size, but there is no substitution for the RWD (relatively) high powered GS.

That being said. "Exciting news" could be anything. It could be the 7 seater RX since that would be very exciting for the general public who likes SUV's.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Just a matter of when, not if.... For the sake of economies of scale the more products this engine is in, the better.

While all the focus is on the twin-turbo, will a N/A V-8 also debut? That would be fantastic...

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
as an aside, I hope that they have a dry sump oil system in this engine. If you have a high performance engine (vehicle) then it should be completely prepared for serious track events. Without a dry sump oil system, you risk some issues (poor oil circulation) when driving hard on a track through difficult corners (like hairpin etc). So, let's see this detail addressed. the current V8 NA engine in the LC, RC F and GS F does NOT have a dry sump system.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
"... it would only be logical, that it will also be placed into the upcoming GS F."

So there will be a new GS after all and will not be cancelled? It's so confusing.

I can't even keep track of the GS rumors right now, though I'd say the look of the new ES spells the end of two midsize sedans in the Lexus lineup.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
It is nice, but I hope Lexus is late. Having tasted the forbidden fruit (electric car), I am not excited be internal combustion engines. IMO all great engines have been made, and there is nothing new to add. More interesting is energy storage development to have a world wide full transition to BEVs. As a stepping stone, I am more interested to see focused range extenders, rather than the huge bulky and complex I3/I4 cylinder engines.

Side note: Porsche's top range models are now PHEVs. Same with up-coming Ferrari and McLaren cars. Not to forget the Mercedes AMG-GT4 is rumored to be an 800 PS hybrid V8 Twin-Turbo. So Lexus is late, just a BMW was late in the supercar game. At least Lexus had the LFA (best ICE ever made), and will be on par with BMW with the Toyota "Supra".

RichieRich

Founding Member
Reactions
Hmmm, I thought they would do something like this, on a message I posted, in the LS thread, back on Jan 9th. Way to go Lexus (if it's true) didn't think you would just release a 6 cylinder only option on Your Flagship Vehicle. It Only makes sense.

From my Jan. 9th thread:
"I'm just wondering if Lexus showcased that V6TT engine in the 2018 LS500 because it's their Newest Engine. We don't know for sure they won't put out an Optional V8 in this Vehicle. They made some changes (in power) to the original LC500 after they showcased it. Maybe they wanted to get some feedback first. It's not like they can't drop The LC500 V8 5.0 in that body. Hmmm

You have to admit though, power, torque and 0 to 60 numbers are Very Very Impressive on that V6TT engine. Maybe they have a V8TT in the making to really rival the Germans. IJS, JMTwoCents"

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
It is nice, but I hope Lexus is late. Having tasted the forbidden fruit (electric car), I am not excited be internal combustion engines. IMO all great engines have been made, and there is nothing new to add. More interesting is energy storage development to have a world wide full transition to BEVs. As a stepping stone, I am more interested to see focused range extenders, rather than the huge bulky and complex I3/I4 cylinder engines.

Side note: Porsche's top range models are now PHEVs. Same with up-coming Ferrari and McLaren cars. Not to forget the Mercedes AMG-GT4 is rumored to be an 800 PS hybrid V8 Twin-Turbo. So Lexus is late, just a BMW was late in the supercar game. At least Lexus had the LFA (best ICE ever made), and will be on par with BMW with the Toyota "Supra".

not really I think the LS600h did that already. Although Lexus had no plan of making it a performance engine.

Lasse J. Nordvik

Follower
Reactions
Toyota has recently commented on the Dynamic Force technology used in the new Camry that improves power,fuel consumption and emissions saying that they're already working on v6 and v8 engines with this new technology.

mikeavelli

Reactions
The thing I don’t understand is Lexus recently announced 3.5 TT V6, why are they working on almost similar displacement V8? I expect this V8 TT to be 5 Liters

Audi has a 4.0 V-8 that is a monster... it powers the S8 and makes 605hp now.. .and can go for more with a tune...

Benz also uses a small 4.0 V-8 now....

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
"I'm just wondering if Lexus showcased that V6TT engine in the 2018 LS500 because it's their Newest Engine. We don't know for sure they won't put out an Optional V8 in this Vehicle. They made some changes (in power) to the original LC500 after they showcased it. Maybe they wanted to get some feedback first. It's not like they can't drop The LC500 V8 5.0 in that body. Hmmm

You have to admit though, power, torque and 0 to 60 numbers are Very Very Impressive on that V6TT engine. Maybe they have a V8TT in the making to really rival the Germans. IJS, JMTwoCents"

I don't know that the 5.0L V8 is a great fit for the LS without significant tuning to the engine & transmission. Outside of the LS 600h, that engine has been loud and high-revving -- not what you want in a flagship sedan.

I don't know why Lexus would be building an LS F ahead of an LC F, but I also don't know why they would waste resources modifying a rapidly obsolete engine.

Have to think this is the twin-turbo V8 -- there's so many rumors about it now, it might as well be fact.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
The thing I don’t understand is Lexus recently announced 3.5 TT V6, why are they working on almost similar displacement V8? I expect this V8 TT to be 5 Liters

They kept 3.5l displacement because Toyota didn't really develop engine from the scratch, they just called it brand new which is technically true. Regarding the 4.0l V8 displacement let's just say I hope I'm wrong and it will not turn out to be what I'm thinking as how they got to that number. Instead it could turn out to be a real new V8 engine family indeed or at least genuine 4UR.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
They kept 3.5l displacement because Toyota didn't really develop engine from the scratch, they just called it brand new which is technically true. Regarding the 4.0l V8 displacement let's just say I hope I'm wrong and it will not turn out to be what I'm thinking as how they got to that number. Instead it could turn out to be a real new V8 engine family indeed or at least genuine 4UR.

What are you talking about?

The 3.5L TT V6 in the 5LS is BRAND NEW. As in, a brand new engine code, V35A.

There's all sorts of rumors regarding this TT V8, but the rumor of two AR 4 cylinders put together makes zero sense. The TT V8 is supposed to be a Dynamic Force engine, which means it has to be a brand new engine design.

If you actually read Toyota's literature about Dynamic Force, it's a different (than current) philosophy in engine design for Toyota. Existing engine designs cannot simply be re-used, or tweaked. Dynamic Force engines fundamentally differ from their predecessors.

The only way the rumored TT V8 is a "reused" engine is if it is not a Dynamic Force engine, which would be absurd and extremely unlikely.

RichieRich

Founding Member
Reactions
I don't know that the 5.0L V8 is a great fit for the LS without significant tuning to the engine & transmission. Outside of the LS 600h, that engine has been loud and high-revving -- not what you want in a flagship sedan.

I don't know why Lexus would be building an LS F ahead of an LC F, but I also don't know why they would waste resources modifying a rapidly obsolete engine.

Have to think this is the twin-turbo V8 -- there's so many rumors about it now, it might as well be fact.

I'm good with a TT V8, in a 4.0L or 5.0L. I haven't driven there turbo engines yet, so not sure how smooth and nice sounding they are.
Lexus will undoubtedly make sure the engines in The New LS are smooth and silky as possibly. Going Back to 1989 and after as a reference.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions

There are good reasons for choosing 3.5L and 4.0L. But not what you are thinking of. The Dynamic Force engines are highly undersquare (~0.8 bore/stroke ratio) while the GR/UR series are oversquare. In that sense the block needs to be completely redesigned. Also the internals need much better metallurgy to cope with the extra stress caused by a long stroke. Dynamic Force engines do not trade rpm for stroke, instead they are both high revving and long stroke. The combustion chamber are also completely redesigned to promote turbulent flow. They are also the first family of engines to combine the entire technology package Toyota has developed in the past decade, sans Valvematic. They left that alone since many Dynamic Force engines are designed with turbocharging in mind, which doesn't benefit from variable valve lift as much as NA.

The reason to choose 3.5L and 4.0L is because of taxes. In Japan and China, Toyota's two major markets, cars are taxed based on engine displacement, in 500cc increments starting from 999cc. 3.5 and 4.0 are two "sweetspots" for two respective markets since going up (3.6/4.2, for example) in displacement will result in significantly more tax burden for buyers. That's why you don't see intermediate displacements like 1.8, 2.4, 3.2, or 4.4 in these markets because they just don't make any sense. All new engines designed after 2012 by major manufacturers are multiples of 0.5L to maximize power while staying in the lowest tax bracket possible.