Next-Generation Lexus ES & ES F SPORT Prototypes Spotted!

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-08-02-lexus-es-f-sport-front-1024x576.jpg

The next-generation is finally here.
View the original article post

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
A few notes:

- The car is much curvier... the profile reminds me a bit of the Volkswagen Passat CC. Overall, it looks a lot like a mini-LS, which isn't shocking.

- Look how big the car looks compared to the A6. I know part of it is the angle, but the ES looks much chunkier than the A6... in a good way.

2019-lexus-es-spy-photos.jpg

- The fact that there is clearly an F Sport model and the car is testing alongside the E Class and A6, to me, seems like bad news for the GS unless they have a complete change of strategy planned for that car.

- Overall, it really looks very nice. The car is so curvaceous that it's pretty easy to make out the shapes and details.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Wow, I called this! (said it will be late July to early August window, like RC, LC, and LS) Toyota Motor Co. favours introducing camouflaged vehicles to the public during the last week of July. I am going to expand on this in a little bit.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
it would be interesting to learn about the type of engine and how the interior looks. To me this strongly suggests that the GS is going to go. However, I cannot see Lexus dropping the GS F since it is a critical part of the F performance line up that they are heavily promoting. Interesting nonetheless

supra93

Expert
Reactions
I take back my earlier comment. It probably is the ES seeing how they also included the current ES in the test group. This is a sad day in Lexus history. Looks like Akio got want he wanted.

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
Interesting but still very unclear as to what is going on sales of the IS and the GS most disappointing.
The waterfall grille must go and all cars should have a refined mesh grille and the ES in its current form does not look agile enough tending to be a barge. Work to be done Lexus.

LexusTechSA

Founding Member
Reactions
Does anyone think this could actually be the GS and not the next ES?
Judging by the front overhang its ES. Front wheel drives usually have a longer front overhang, with rear wheel drive it can usually be made much shorter.

RDS

Fan
Reactions
I wish this is the new ES instead of new GS, I'd rather have GS died instead of live of misery of FWD... and I don't know about you guys, but the new ES seems to have lower window position than current ES, kinda reminds me of how the new Camry is compared to outgoing Camry, basically looks more sleek.

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
The ES is expected next year in Western Europe, finally. Possibly as a replacement of the GS?

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
Argh! I am getting mental whiplash from rumours of the GS being cancelled, then not cancelled, then this. Please Lexus, no ES F Sport. It's a horrible sell-out of the "F" brand and everything it stands for.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
Since the current GS is more tuned for driving enthusiast than for comfort I can see why they would bench mark the E300 and the A5. As long as it's not an AMG or S5 there's still hope for the GS. Also since Toyota is trying to distance the Lexus brand. It's only fair to benchmark the entry level sedans of Mercedes and Audi since the ES is that to lexus also. So, IMO I don't think the GS is out. Comfort mode for new ES bench mark E300 sport mode benchmark Audi. That's what I think is going on in this picture

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Let's be honest - all the ES really needs is an active AWD system that can split the power delivery between the front and rear wheels for consumers who want either more power or better driving dynamics... and the case for building a GS becomes approximately zero. This is what Audi has done for years with every sedan in their lineup: you can buy the plebeian FWD model if you don't care and just want an appliance, or you have the option of AWD, sports packages, larger engines, etc. It works for them and it can work for Lexus, and this method would represent a major risk aversion for Lexus when sedan sales are tanking dramatically month by month.

Judging from the spy pics, this is a good looking car... much more svelte and interesting than any ES before. If they offer 300+hp ES F-Sport that looks this good, they probably will be able to keep ~50% or more of GS buyers, all of their current ES audience and eliminate significant cost and risk.

If there is a small displacement turbo V6 put into an ES F Sport with active AWD and it produces, say, 350hp, very few people will care about the death of the GS.

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
ES spindle grille appears toned down if cross bar is real ... even on F-Sport model. I wonder if bottom corners of base model spindle have been shaped like the spindle on the coming LX refresh? ... picture courtesy of UZJ100GXR ...

Another LX facelift?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Two other notes about these mules:

The F Sport car has the Lexus signature triple LED headlights and the standard one seems to have traditional projectors:

Note that the headlight design for ES seems to have an integrated DRL like RX. This is kind of surprising to me because if any car was going to have an integrated DRL, I'd have thought for sure it would be the LS. Not sure why they seem to be stepping back to safer territory with this new ES.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
ES spindle grille appears toned down if cross bar is real ... even on F-Sport model. I wonder if bottom corners of base model spindle have been shaped like the spindle on the coming LX refresh? ...

oh, I like this grille! n fact, the massive grille on the recent LX didn't impress me. I like this one though.