Automobile Magazine Reviews the Lexus LC 500: "Feel Quick While Looking Good"

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-07-24-lexus-lc-automobile-review.jpg

Another strong review of the new Lexus coupe.
View the original article post

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
There are consistent complaints about the transmission in this car... I hope they have a plan to fix it. Why bother with a 10AT when its geared like a 5AT with 5 more gears for overdrive? 1-6 should be very short, IMO.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
IDK about the complaints about the transmission. I just took mine to the track at the National Motorsports Museum. no issues with that at all, and driving that 3.2 mile track with many many corners involves a lot of decelleration, braking, and acceleration. Maybe there is something that could be improved with the AT, but this LC driver / owner has not noticed anything issues and has no complaints. Now, I am clearly biased, but these are my 2 cents worth

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
There are consistent complaints about the transmission in this car... I hope they have a plan to fix it. Why bother with a 10AT when its geared like a 5AT with 5 more gears for overdrive? 1-6 should be very short, IMO.

From what I can see, two basic reasons. First, the tall Overdrive gears help in the cruise-MPG department for the EPA, and, Second, too many gears bunched up at the bottom would probably mean too much shifting and wear on the transmission in stop and go driving.* Lexus drivetrain warranties are generally 6/70, and I'm sure the factory doesn't want to be dealing with prematurely replacing a bunch of worn-out gearboxes.

* GM, in its new 9-speed FWD transverse-engine gearbox, gets around at least part of that problem by programming the tranny to by-pass certain gears on the shift if engine/throttle loads permit it.

Last edited: