Akio Toyoda & His Path to Becoming Lexus Master Driver

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-05-23-lexus-president-akio-toyoda.jpg

An excellent profile of Akio Toyoda from Hans Greimel of Automotive News.
View the original article post

Dreski

Fan
Reactions
I always liked that about him. Passion for motorsports.

He needs to hammer his minions on refocusing and doubling efforts to create cashable models. Toyota played their cards wrong. The decline is pretty substantial. Not offering DIESEL on their trucks is also imo gross negligence. Nobody gives a crap about a million mile Tundra. Its so outdated & compared to rivals & their upcoming 2018-2019 models. Toyota is last place. Their truck product is pretty ancient. Creature comforts are lacking & options for other powertrain is non-existent. Toyota plagued with lack of insight & complete disregard/ignorance to consumer demands.

Hoping that this fumble in the mothership does not contaminate the Lexus brand. They've churned out some great new models but i still feel they are playing catch up. Always late to the game and lack a proper M, AMG, rival.

mordecai

Follower
Reactions
“Everybody says I’m the racer-president, or they call me master driver,” Toyoda, 61, said in an interview this month. “That’s all correct. But I see my role as being the guardian of the taste of Toyota and Lexus cars.

I truly respect Akio for his love of the Lexus brand and his passion, but boy, the new Prius design team must've snuck one past him real good.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
I also have a lot of respect for Toyoda San. rather than looking at negatives, I see the new LC and LS as harbingers for a creative and new approach for Lexus.

So, what do you think? I'm 63; I've just recently developed a strong passion for faster cars (I will have my LC next week), I am a bit late in becoming a "car guy" [not there yet, but I read all kinds of car stuff online, get MT mag, and watch lots of car videos :) ], I'm taking my LC to the track a few times this summer with my 911 owner friend (total 911 nut who goes to the track all the time). maybe I'm a late bloomer with faster cars with just like Akio, although a little later than he. :cool:. Interestingly, I drove a taxi in Montreal part time while in school in the 70s. That required a lot of creative driving, but the taxis were basic stock chevys. I'm getting pretty psyched about Experiencing Amazing! LOL For a guy who focused solely in reliability and economy in cars for so many years while in school and raising a family, the idea of driving a car like the LC on a track is quite new. I admire Akio and will try to emulate within the limitations of my circumstances, :)

Last edited by a moderator:

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
The decline is pretty substantial. Not offering DIESEL on their trucks is also imo gross negligence. Nobody gives a crap about a million mile Tundra. Its so outdated & compared to rivals & their upcoming 2018-2019 models. Toyota is last place. Their truck product is pretty ancient. Creature comforts are lacking & options for other powertrain is non-existent. Toyota plagued with lack of insight & complete disregard/ignorance to consumer demands.

The problems with the Toyota/Lexus lineups would look to have obvious fixes, and it makes me wonder what's going on behind-the-scenes. The move to the TNGA platforms is definitely some of it, but I don't think a big product blitz is a good idea either. Things should have been happening steadily over the past couple years.

I'm getting pretty psyched about Experiencing Amazing! LOL For a guy who focused solely in reliability and economy in cars for so many years while in school and raising a family, the idea of driving a car like the LC on a track is quite new. I admire Akio and will try to emulate within the limitations of my circumstances, :)

Well, we're happy to have you as part of the community! I'm still not in that phase of life where a car like the LC makes ANY sense, but I can definitely understand the appeal. I can also share some great advice, as I'm not really a track guy but have been blessed with ample experience during my time with Lexus Enthusiast -- take your time, never try to drive at 100% of your ability, and realize no one else really cares how fast you go!

:)

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
So, what do you think? I'm 63; I've just recently developed a strong passion for faster cars (I will have my LC next week), I am a bit late in becoming a "car guy" [not there yet, but I read all kinds of car stuff online, get MT mag, and watch lots of car videos :) ], I'm taking my LC to the track a few times this summer with my 911 owner friend (total 911 nut who goes to the track all the time). maybe I'm a late bloomer with faster cars with just like Akio, although a little later than he. :cool:.
I feel ya. In some regards, I'm a late bloomer myself. Although I've been a car guy for as long as I can remember, and have owned more stick-shift manual than automatic cars throughout my life, including my first Lexus (an IS 300), I didn't start autocrossing and doing the occasional track day until I got said Lexus, in my mid-40s (I'm 60 years old now).

Back to the original subject of this thread, there's more to the latest Automotive News Racing Special edition than the main article Krew commented on to start this thread. For one, there's this Q&A interview of Akio Toyoda by Hans Greimel that complements the latter's article:

Toyota driving chief learns the secret sauce

TOKYO -- CEO Akio Toyoda is Toyota Motor Corp.'s master driver and self-described "ultimate filter" of brand taste. In an interview with Asia Editor Hans Greimel, Toyoda, 61, talked about his interest in racing and how it now influences the flavor of Lexus and Toyota vehicles.

Q: You drove a Toyota Altezza, which was sold overseas as the Lexus IS, in your first Nurburgring race in 2007. What is your impression of that car?

A: Based on my current definition of a good car, on a 10-point scale, it was maybe a two or three. That was the start of my journey to create ever-better cars that make people feel safe and secure.

How did training with longtime Toyota master driver Hiromu Naruse help you understand the qualities of a good car?

The following year, I drove the regular IS. We experimented with what happens if the weight of the car gets lighter or if the tires are different, what happens when the engine is tuned one way, what happens if the suspension is replaced.

So for a full year, I had those experiences. The main chef was Mr. Naruse. He was cooking right in front of me, and he made me try the ingredients. The next leg of our journey was to really come up with the secret sauce of Toyota and Lexus. And that resulted in the LFA.

How can you replicate that secret sauce in more mainstream offerings?

It's all about the atmosphere. When it comes to horsepower or performance, it may be a different story. But there should be something the driver can pick up in the five senses.

It could come from things like once you place yourself in the driver's seat, you sense the actual distance to the instrument panel or the physical locations of the gauges. Or when you press the accelerator and hear the noise of the exhaust.

It won't exactly equal the secret sauce of the LFA, but from time to time, even if you are driving a Yaris, you can pick up on it.

Before a car is approved for production, do you personally test drive each one?

I can't drive all the cars. Usually, [it's] the sporty types. For the Lexus LC, for example, the chief engineer aggressively approached me for my input. I personally drove that car from the early stages of development.

Who will be the next master driver?

There are several people who are doing driving with me, and it will probably be one of them.

There are so many at the moment, about 10 or 20 working very close to me on the course. They have to be my successor, so they have to be younger people.

But as long as I can keep driving, I will be the master driver.

What ambitions do you have for furthering your racing experience?

Recently, I've become interested in participating in the World Rally Championship. I don't think I'll be able to join the races directly. But in maybe four or five years, I'd at least like to drive on the same courses.

There are different classes that may allow me. In France, Germany, Spain, there are paved courses. For example, classic supercars are allowed to take part two or three days prior to the real race. That's something I want to try out.

I think it's important to keep that kind of pressure on yourself -- that you will someday have to take part in a race. It helps me keep that filter precise and accurate.

I get older every year, and these driving senses I have get dull.

What should be the taste of the Lexus brand?

First, you'll come to feel "I want to drive this car forever." And I want it to be kind of funky.

And what should be the taste of the Toyota brand?

For Toyota, contributing to society through the auto industry has been a basic philosophy. Considering this, cars need to be embraced by society, so a reasonable volume and level of usage needs to be achieved.

The Lexus world is like a cozy restaurant, which is somewhat exclusive. But Toyota cars should have a popular taste no matter where you go in the world.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20170522/OEM02/305229971/1734?template=racing

Then, Automotive News' Texas-based correspondent Laurence Iliff penned this piece on Lexus' motorsports efforts:

Lexus tempers expectations, but says it's 'all in' with motorsports
When racing fans showed up at the Circuit of the Americas in early May to watch their favorite sports car makers go at it in the Advance Auto Parts Sportscar Showdown, some were surprised to find Lexus in the mix alongside Mercedes-AMG, Porsche and Ferrari. And that’s OK, for now, said Lexus General Manager Jeff Bracken. “I think there’s more surprise about Lexus racing than there is a fan base,” said Bracken, who stood near the pit in a show of support as the brand’s two RC F GT3 race cars took on the best from Europe and Japan in the team’s freshman season in the GTD sports car class.

For Bracken, moving into motorsports is an important part of casting Lexus as a more performance-oriented brand.

Lexus has enjoyed a sterling reputation as a luxury car maker from its founding in 1989, “but it’s just not enough” anymore, Bracken told Automotive News. Along with newer performance-oriented street models such as the RC F and the new LC 500, he said, the automaker needs a serious presence in motorsports to develop sports car credibility and draw younger buyers. “Our focus is, let’s get a competitive race car out there with a great team and get on the podium and start winning, and then we have a credible story to tell,” he said. “We’re all in, if it takes us two years, three years, five years.”

The brand’s first global racing effort also includes teams driving the RC F race car in Japan and Europe.

“We’re doing it to show the public that we can have a racing heritage and it can lead to great product in our lineup,” Bracken said in an interview.
Lexus has participated in select racing events since 2002, but hasn’t had the sustained effort of its rivals, particularly the Europeans that it competes with on the showroom floor.

Ups and downs
Its maiden season in the International Motor Sports Association’s WeatherTech SportsCar Championship series has had its ups and downs. In its four races so far, there have been two top-10 finishes, but also some car problems and mistakes along the way.

“We had a pretty rough Daytona,” said veteran racer Scott Pruett, 57, who will be inducted into the Motorsports Hall of Fame this summer. “Both our cars ran consistently top-10 in Sebring before we had some issues, [and] I finished sixth in Long Beach,” he said in an interview. Pruett, who shares driving duties with 22-year-old Sage Karam, came in ninth in this month’s Austin race. Teammates Jack Hawksworth and Robert Alon were four spots behind in the other RC F.

Paul Gentilozzi, a former racer who runs 3GT Racing, which is partnering with Lexus, said the team is preparing the foundation for future wins. “We haven’t had great karma, but we’ve shown competitiveness certainly, and that’s our objective initially,” he said.

David Wilson, president of Toyota Racing Development, acknowledged that turning the Lexus team into a serious contender is going to take some time, not unlike Toyota’s move into NASCAR a decade ago. “Generally, it takes a little bit of time for us to get our feet underneath us,” he said during an interview at the Austin race. “I tried to make sure that everybody understood that we’re going to battle with brands that have been racing for decades. Let’s moderate our expectations.”

Uphill battle
The battle on the track wasn’t the only competition at the Circuit of the Americas. High up a hill, the automakers were also battling for future car buyers. At the so-called activation area, exhibit trailers offered resting areas, virtual reality car racing, phone chargers and a few select production models to look at, such as the street version of the RC F.

Outside the garage of each team before the race, fans were able to approach the cars and the drivers who would soon battle on the 3.4-mile track. “It’s all about fan engagement, getting closer to the cars,” said Mark Egger, Lexus Motorsports manager. “When you see all these other brands, they’ve been doing it for many years. We’re the new kids on the block; we recognize that.”

http://www.autonews.com/article/20170522/RETAIL03/170529985/1737?template=racing

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
Well, we're happy to have you as part of the community! I'm still not in that phase of life where a car like the LC makes ANY sense, but I can definitely understand the appeal. I can also share some great advice, as I'm not really a track guy but have been blessed with ample experience during my time with Lexus Enthusiast -- take your time, never try to drive at 100% of your ability, and realize no one else really cares how fast you go!

:)

thanks Krew! good advice for me (someone who really wants to stay alive and healthy and keep the car undamaged). :) The good thing is that the club who sponsors these track events requires that you have a number of training runs with an experienced instructor before they will let you out on the track alone.

Also, I would NEVER have thought that I would be buying a LC 2-3 years ago. But here we are!

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
BTW: I have a bit of a sense of humor as well. So, my statement about emulating Akio is partly this weird humor (kind of laughing at myself) and partly serious because I really do want to drive the LC on a track and experience amazing :)

Reactions: RAL