Lexus April 2017 Sales Report

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-05-02-lexus-nx-sales-april.jpg

Sales were down 7.7% in the USA, Canada celebrates their best ever month.
View the original article post

mikeavelli

Reactions
Overall the industry is down and this is now an official slump.....

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...car-slump-drags-on?cciid=email-autonews-daily

That link has a chart with everyone's sales.

Lexus was down 15%..... Sales Chart here

http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/toyota+motor+north+america+april+2017+sales.htm

Lexus posted sales of 22,116 units, down 11.1 percent on a volume, and down 7.7 percent on a DSR basis.

“Thanks to continued consumer interest in luxury utility vehicles and a healthy inventory, NX achieved its best April yet,” said Jeff Bracken, Lexus group vice president and general manager. “Moving into May, we’re excited to launch our stunning new flagship coupe, the LC 500 and LC 500h.”

April 2017 Highlights:
  • Camry posts sales of 31,428 units
  • TMNA and Toyota division all post new April record for light truck sales
  • RAV4 sales rise 5.3 percent on a volume basis, up 9.4 percent on a DSR basis; a best-ever April
  • Highlander up 19.6 on a volume basis, up 24.2 on a DSR basis; a best-ever April
  • 4Runner up nearly 3 percent on volume; posts best-ever April
  • C-HR launched in April
  • NX sets new best-ever April, volume up 13.2 percent, and up 17.6 on a DSR basis
*Note: Unless otherwise stated, all figures reflect unadjusted raw sales volume

Reactions
Honestly I am not very surprised! Audi designs and produce better cars than Lexus now a days. I used to have 2 Lexus or more in my garage and now I have none and I have 3 Audis! They are all more reliable and more fun to drive and own than any Lexus! My A7 is so much more beautiful to look at and drive and own then my Lexus GS F_Sport. My A7 drives better and has less issues and does so much better in day to day gas mileage, acceleration and handling. Also it has better MMI system and navigation than Lexus. I do miss the old Lexus with their smooth and clean styling and reliability but sorry now that doesn't cut it. Even the refresh GS looks ugly as hell compared to my 2013 Lexus GS with the original spindle grill. I think Lexus needs to stop whining and step up and stop complaining that the sedans are going out. This tells me Lexus cannot step up anymore. The new LS is beautiful and it should of been on sale NOW and not 2018!!! This a is a huge mistake. Also replacing the GS with ES will be a bad idea. The new RX is good looking in the high end trim only and while it drives nice its not as good as the Q7. The NX is sexy on the other hand. The LC is coming out but they need to start advertising it more!

Last edited:

James

Founding Member
Reactions
I don't if I agree with the Audi reliability yet I have a family member and a boss that drive Audis (A5, S4, Q7, and A7) and they seem to be in the shop all the time. Now without owning one myself I can't really say for a fact but between my parents and myself we've had theee Lexus (RX, ES, NX) and besides servicing no issues at all. My parents cars both have over 150,000 miles and keep going humming along.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Audi more reliable than lexus !!!!!
Sir, you can say the Germans better than any other maker in anything except the reliablility

Drivability wise , the Audi have better straight line but the GS for example is far better in twisted roads as every reviewer said

Regarding the looks, it's a matter of taste , what you say beautiful about the Audi, i am telling about it a bland, not everyone have your same taste

So don't link the design with the reliability

Regarding the RX it was never and will not ever compete with the Q7, the RX is competing with the X5 and GL-E, where the Q7 compete with MDX & XC90, neither body style and body dimensions nor the engines and the internal dimensions are matched, the most car to go with the Q7 in Lexus lineup is the GX

Reactions
Let me clarify l. I did love my GS fsport and my 3rd generation GS no doubt. But my 2016 A7 absolutely has no issues at 30k miles now and has only has servicing done whereas my 4th gen GS had many issues in beginning and was in shop several times. We have a 2012 A8l with 135k miles and it has been extremely reliable with only 3 issues that where covered under warranty and only routine service, brakes, rotors, and tires replaced as needed. My That's my experience ok. I have several friends with a5, q5, a6 and s6 and thry have had no issues and llare extremely happy with their Audis. Reliability of the Germans have caught up and closed the gap with Lexus. Lexus just need to clean up the spindle grill on their sedans, it's too messy. The new LS on the other hand is beautiful and will sell but it should be now not next year.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
RX dove almost 1k units. Why?

GX has been so steady since 2014 that it's almost crazy. I am hearing that a significant refresh is coming within the next 10 months, so sooner is better there.

NX success is great... it's the only thing keeping Lexus ahead of Audi in 2017.

Lexus' "last to the table" timing and failure to 1) innovate and 2) anticipate market demands is going to bite them in the ass this year. The entire sedan lineup is old, and sedans are selling slowly anyway, so double whammy there.

RX L and UX are both too late to the party, just like NX was. GX should have been redesigned a year ago and not left out to die - only for Lexus to admit its success at the last minute and put together a haphazard refresh.

SMH.

I predict that Lexus and Audi will finish this year neck and neck for 3rd place with regard to US sales.

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
Surely comparing sales of the Germans and Lexus is a bit pointless - the Germans cater across a much broader spectrum in the case of Audi from the A1 up to the A8 and then there are their sport/convertible models, so you can buy any size Audi the same applies to Mercedes and BMW. This also applies to their SUV range they have one for every size required.
However i do agree that Lexus seem slow to market with new models (so in fact are Toyota and sometimes this is to their benefit, all their vehicles are trouble free and fully tested before sold to the public) - the CT and the GS are cases in point both models over five years now and no definite replacements mentioned other than the UX which is seemingly aimed at a different section of the market. Why is the new LS launched now and only available in 2018 that does not make much sense who is going to buy the existing model, not too many people i should think.
I think it important to remember to add Toyota sales into the mix then of course the Toyota Motor company is laughing all the way to the bank.
I have to agree with the comments regarding reliability have owned two Audi cars good cars however they are simply not in the same class as a Lexus from any point of view they - a good brand but not Lexus.
Referring to the next ES becoming a replacement for the GS i think this makes perfect sense currently two models being produced with similar standards of luxury and size at vastly differing prices no wonder customers are confused as to which one to choose. These are both big luxury vehicles aimed at the same section of the market, combine the strengths of each into the next new model and bingo.

mikeavelli

Reactions
It seems sedans are turning into coupes with the way their sales dive. Brands know a coupes best year is always the first year and they anticipate a nose dive after. Sedans usually were more safe.

Now it seems SUVs sell no matter what and sedans are being affected greatly. Its not just Lexus, sedans are diving all over. Old SUVs sell like crazy.

Look at how the Rav-4, CR-V, Rouge etc are overtaking the Camry, Accord, Altima for sales. Unheard of 10 years ago.

Ray99

Founding Member
Reactions
I think overall product launching in TMC is painfully slow. With its huge cash, new products deployment should not be a problem. Quality over speed might be the primary consideration for TMC to test rigorously.

Reliability and value of money are the top two reasons I choose Toyota and Lexus over other brands. I would rather wait bit longer but have reliable cars. Two months ago, I bought a 2017 Lexus LX 570. The built quality is superb. It is my second Lexus.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
Honestly I am not very surprised! Audi designs and produce better cars than Lexus now a days. I used to have 2 Lexus or more in my garage and now I have none and I have 3 Audis! They are all more reliable and more fun to drive and own than any Lexus! My A7 is so much more beautiful to look at and drive and own then my Lexus GS F_Sport. My A7 drives better and has less issues and does so much better in day to day gas mileage, acceleration and handling. Also it has better MMI system and navigation than Lexus. I do miss the old Lexus with their smooth and clean styling and reliability but sorry now that doesn't cut it. Even the refresh GS looks ugly as hell compared to my 2013 Lexus GS with the original spindle grill. I think Lexus needs to stop whining and step up and stop complaining that the sedans are going out. This tells me Lexus cannot step up anymore. The new LS is beautiful and it should of been on sale NOW and not 2018!!! This a is a huge mistake. Also replacing the GS with ES will be a bad idea. The new RX is good looking in the high end trim only and while it drives nice its not as good as the Q7. The NX is sexy on the other hand. The LC is coming out but they need to start advertising it more!

I cannot agree with you that Audi drives any better than Lexus cause I have one right now. It's a nice jack of all trades, it drives as it looks. It's not a bad thing don't get me wrong both Audi and Lexus drive better than BMW and million times better than low end MBs, now those MBs ride like pure crap.

Give it three years and Audi is overtaking Lexus in US market so we will have big 3 Germans like anywhere else in the world. I could tell few years ago that Audi is targeting Lexus in US and they freakin did it. Lexus was resting/milking for way too long, whole 3GS/3RX/2IS gen to be precise.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions

I owned my first Audi, a 2017 A4, and I got rid of it 6 weeks later! I couldn't live with the bland cookie-cutter look and feel of the drive on top of some minor issues creeping up. Took the depreciation hit to enjoy the more exciting and issue-free '17 IS. To each their own.

Rhambler

Fan
Reactions
Well obviously bland sells.

If current projections stays pat, Audi may overtake Lexus sooner than you think.

I'm getting an Audi next. I have a 2016 LS that I'm going to dump lease end unless there's some miracle 450+ HP engine that manifests itself in an LS over the next year and half.

I'm getting either the all new A8 4.0t with a reported 460 HP that will probably zoom to 60 in 4 seconds or less or the S7.

A day late and dollar short. Brand new engine with 415 HP that will be outclassed before it even sells.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Well obviously bland sells.

If current projections stays pat, Audi may overtake Lexus sooner than you think.

I'm getting an Audi next. I have a 2016 LS that I'm going to dump lease end unless there's some miracle 450+ HP engine that manifests itself in an LS over the next year and half.

I'm getting either the all new A8 4.0t with a reported 460 HP that will probably zoom to 60 in 4 seconds or less or the S7.

A day late and dollar short. Brand new engine with 415 HP that will be outclassed before it even sells.

Sad isn't it....I just don't understand how no V-8 is offered at launch, in the LS, the flagship. My current crush is the S8....new its pricey but they lose value like the Titanic so a slightly used one is very affordable.

abraxas

Fan
Reactions
Been a Lexus loyalist for a long time, own a 2013 RX 350 now and love it but it's time to move on. Lexus screwed up the exterior with that spindle attitude and such as well as the interior functionality changes. We'll be test driving and buy either an Audi Q7, M-B GLC, Volvo XC90, BMW 5 or Jag F-Pace SUV. Reliability is tops on my list of concerns and Lexus has always been reliable. Am worried about the track record of the Jag and perhaps the Audi Q7.

Have been researching this stuff for weeks on line. Thoughts or "warnings" are welcome.