Lexus March 2017 Sales Report

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-04-03-lexus-gx-march-sales.jpg

Overall sales are down, but SUV sales are booming.
View the original article post

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
As I said
This generation RX will face a lot of troubles specially after the booming CUV/SUV and fierce competition

LX & GX sales is 100% because of their Toyota twins heritage

The whole sedan / coupe lineup need complete fix, and need it soon.

Lexus choose to have very bold design to get the European and still luxurious driveability to keep the Americans, but this makes them lose both.

The solution is either complete bold driveability and performance to match the bold design or to tone down the design again to match the comfort ride and the decreasing engines.

I really hate to see in every and any head to head that lexus has no or any agility and feels little or more soft in comparison to its competitors. Or have less low torque or less hp.

Unfortunately this can be said about all the lineup excluding LX & GX.

The ditching of the V8 GS in the current generation and the V8 LS in the new generation is step backward because Toyota even didn't try to put the tech used in its well packaged and good made TS series. Only then the V8 ditching will be logic.

Who have $80K and put them in a full-size flagship will never calculate the gas cost or the mileage, he will be mostly want big numbers

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Random sidenote:

New Buick Enclave debuts this month in New York. The Enclave has been the #2 behind the RX for many months/years, and pretty close at times. With how garish and "out there" the new RX is, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Enclave close the gap a bit. I think Buick's new design language could translate nicely for a 2nd gen Enclave...

MDX is ugly, RX L is sometime off in the future, QX60 is "ok"...

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
ughh! even the ES is down. It would appear from the rave reviews that the LC should be able to lead the way with the fix to the sedans and coupes. GA-L will be the new platform for the LS too, but these 2 cars are very expensive and they need to do something for the less expensive part of the car lineup, such as the GS, IS, and perhaps the ES. Changes take time, but it would be nice to hear about some concrete plans for the GS and IS. I have been considering a sedan as a compliment for my coupe, but I find it hard to get excited about the GS and Lexus hasn't said much about its plan for the GS, such as putting it on the GA-L platform, which should improve its ride. While the GS F seems to be a nice ride (RE: the Mike Harris review), it, too, is very expensive.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@PeterF

That's what I'm talking about they are so late to take this move of upgrading to a new chassis

I hope really to hear that the LC & LS are more sporty than the competitors
This will really be the game changer
They must not be soft at all

Reactions
They need to be careful about that spindle grille, especially on the RC........I'm slightly disappointed.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
It would appear from the rave reviews that the LC should be able to lead the way with the fix to the sedans and coupes. GA-L will be the new platform for the LS too, but these 2 cars are very expensive and they need to do something for the less expensive part of the car lineup, such as the GS, IS, and perhaps the ES. Changes take time, but it would be nice to hear about some concrete plans for the GS and IS. I have been considering a sedan as a compliment for my coupe, but I find it hard to get excited about the GS and Lexus hasn't said much about its plan for the GS, such as putting it on the GA-L platform, which should improve its ride.

Neither the LC or LS is going to fix anything in regards to sales -- this is more an industry shift than specifically about Lexus. I think the days of cars is coming to a close.

Really, you should look at an RX to compliment your LC. :grinning:

LDeleuran

Fan
Reactions
The sedan sales are eye watering reading. How did GS drop 50% with the latest update!? I'm looking forward to the new GAL based GS with the 500h hybrid system, but why should Lexus bother if they don't sell?

The current RX has class leading interior - Leuxs just needs to improve on the usability infotainment system for new users. Perhaps the RX-L will come with such an upgrade?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Neither the LC or LS is going to fix anything in regards to sales -- this is more an industry shift than specifically about Lexus. I think the days of cars is coming to a close.

Really, you should look at an RX to compliment your LC. :grinning:

indeed... no sedan will do anything good for Lexus sales, industry is heading in other direction so they should rather bring small and large suvs to market asap instead of trying to do sedans in market that does not want them. This is likely why 3IS is rumored to be long generation.

As to the RX, it is doing great in sales. Small dip despite huge NX sales, huge Highlander sales and overall huge industry competition compared to 15 years ago. And new model is pricier on average so Lexus profits must be up on it. It is also vehicle that has the lowest days on lot for Lexus right now (35days vs 60 days or more for others).

Only thing that can increase sales is small C-HR sized SUV and large 3 row RX derivate. Or fire sales with Camry like leases for sedan lineup. Which they likely will simply slow down the production for until gas prices go up.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
So we have a problem
Toyota must have body on frame suv / cuv
Lexus needs to kill the ES
Enlarge the GS to it's first generation lenght which is 4:90 then enlarge the IS to 4:70 for better competition especially at the rear seats
By this they can have much competitor agile sedan lineup with their related coupe lineup
In the CUV side , turn the LX to a crossover rear wheel drive based on the same GA-L , with the GX as its younger brother as the same relation LS to GS

Upscale the Avalon as a true lineup flagship with luxurious comfort side way as SLS to Cadillac in the past, this will make the camry even more free , which will effects all the yota lineup

Keep the RX as Highlander based
The NX as RAV-4 based
The UX as CH-R based

With this lexus will have 2 main crossover lineup

LX - GX RWD based
RX - NX - UX FWD based
With only RWD based sedan / coupe lineup
LS/LC - GS/SC - IS/RC
At yota side

Avalon/Sienna/Highlander
Camry/Previa/????
Corolla/????/Rav-4/Auris
+
The Japanese and the international lineup models

That's all plus dedicated body on frame vehicles lineup

Toyota as a corp will double the sales of it's non sedan/coupe lineup, start building market name by sedan/coupe lineup, which whatever sold or not will be all sharing the same wheelbase and the engines whom will be shared also with the RWD based suv/cuv in Lexus lineup

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
So we have a problem
Toyota must have body on frame suv / cuv
Lexus needs to kill the ES
Enlarge the GS to it's first generation lenght which is 4:90 then enlarge the IS to 4:70 for better competition especially at the rear seats
By this they can have much competitor agile sedan lineup with their related coupe lineup
In the CUV side , turn the LX to a crossover rear wheel drive based on the same GA-L , with the GX as its younger brother as the same relation LS to GS

Upscale the Avalon as a true lineup flagship with luxurious comfort side way as SLS to Cadillac in the past, this will make the camry even more free , which will effects all the yota lineup

Lexus does not have a problem with ES, it is their most successful model. They should expand its availability worldwide.
As to LX and GX, I doubt anything will change... sure they will get to drive better for next gen and get turbo engines but thats as far as it goes. Putting them on GA-L does not make any money for Toyota.

Avalon can survive because Lexus ES exists... otherwise, there would be no Avalon. Together, they outsell every other Lexus car, combined. I think thats your telltale sign of what might get cancelled in the future.

MB has plenty of FWD models, BMW is getting a lot of them and Audi has always been FWD based.

Reactions
Very tired of hearing people blame car sales dip on spindle. Sedans are being over taken by SUVs industry wide.
Yes, car sales are down but not to the extent that Lexus car sales are down. It appears that there is more to the story for Lexus. As tired as you are of hearing about the spindle grill it may be that buyers are tired of seeing it.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Yes, car sales are down but not to the extent that Lexus car sales are down. It appears that there is more to the story for Lexus. As tired as you are of hearing about the spindle grill it may be that buyers are tired of seeing it.

is this why they are buying Lexus SUVs with even bigger spindle instead? If we go by that, then sedan spindle is too small :)

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@spwolf
First I want to ask you questions
1) how many FWD sedan/coupe are their on the german / british lux brands from c segment and up?

Zero , yes you may say Audi but Audi now overcome this by there AWD allroad system

2) How many car overlap and intersect with the ES?
A: Avalon, it can't be more lux. because the ES shall always be the lux. of the twin which already effect the roof
B: Camry, can't be more sporty even with the new generation Camry it will be stopped by the ES
C: IS & GS always have unfair comfort and internal size in comparison which affects there both sales numbers
D: Century, Crown & Mark may not get any replacement as they are now built on the IS & GS wheelbase

So in short ES may killed a lot of amazing products and regarding the ES is the king of Lexus sedan/coupe, I can dare to say if it's get deleted, you will see doubling or tripling IS & GS sales numbers

The ES is like an ogre something get the people around just because it's different at the moment, this is not the ES time. The sedan/coupe percentage in the international market are shrinking and keep shrinking everyday

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
I happen to really like the spindle on the LC. Whatever the case, to find out the degree to which the spindle is hurting sales one must collect data. Otherwise conclusions are simply speculations. IMHO I don't see the spindle playing a critical role in the drop in sales.

I think that in the car market Lexus is not doing a good job competing in fun/fast/sexy ride. They have always been the best in comfort, smooth ride, and reliability. It might be that those who want to buy lux cars now are more attracted by the range of fun and fast that the Germans have. Even Cadillac has an extremely fast fun sedan, CTS-V. Even though the car market is getting smaller and SUV market bigger, a little work on the fun/fast/sexy would be positive. This is why I see the LS F sport as something promising. as Ian notes, I really hope it has a TTV8. that will make the car very distinct. Also getting GS and IS on GA-L will help.

Reactions
is this why they are buying Lexus SUVs with even bigger spindle instead? If we go by that, then sedan spindle is too small :)
Large vehicle sales are up and car sales are down with out question, but the numbers for Lexus are below other manufacturers, and last month for Lexus both car and large vehicle sales were down (lexusenthusiast.com/2017/04/03/lexus-march-2017-sales-report/) . So even though the numbers were relatively better for Lexus Trucks than they were for cars, they were still down and larger than the competition. This goes against the trend for Toyota/lexus so what's the reason? The more aggressive design may have something to do with it. I'm sure some buyers like the look, although it seems many don't. Regardless of what they design and build, they will sell to a certain extent, although its beginning to appear many will buy somewhere else, or at least delay purchases until the design changes.

zeusus

Follower
Reactions

Uh no, explain why more than half of IS sales are F-Sports?

Blaming poor sedan sales on spindle has less to do with the spindle and more of people projecting their distaste of the spindle by connecting negative sales numbers to their reality.

If buyers disliked the aggressive spindle, F-sport package sales would be a very small percentage of overall sales.

It doesn't take a lot to see that buyers are into F-sport.

Last edited:

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Let's be honest
Buyers in general not hating the design, they hating the formula, me one of them.
This aggressive design must be mated to aggressive performance not the current soft performance vs the competitors