Meet New Lexus Chief Branding Officer Tokuo Fukuichi

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Among my favorite, "go-to" journalists for all things Lexus and Toyota is Automotive News' Asia editor Hans Greimel. The subject of his latest piece is outgoing Lexus International President Tokuo Fukuichi and the concept of "Lexus envy". A mix of old news with some new and even surprisingly candid insights, it is, nevertheless, a worthwhile read. Here it is:

Can this man finally deliver 'Lexus Envy'?
Toyota's luxury line turns to yachts, skyjets and coupes to catch up to Germans

March 26, 2017 - Hans Greimel - Automotive News

TOKYO -- Lexus has the quality, customer service and technology. But it still lacks one thing that its German luxury competitors have: cadres of ogling wannabes who are jealous of the driver.

"When you're stuck in traffic, people look at the driver in the Mercedes as a person who has made it in society, and they will envy you," concedes outgoing Lexus International President Tokuo Fukuichi. "We haven't fully achieved that compared with the German three."

Call it "Lexus envy." Lexus now wants to finally possess it with a new multipronged branding push to sharpen its image as a lifestyle brand and further distance it from mass-market Toyota.

The campaign starts with a newly appointed chief branding officer -- Fukuichi himself.

Fukuichi will step down as president of Lexus International Co. on April 1 and take the newly created position of chief branding officer at Toyota Motor Corp. for Lexus and Toyota brands. Yoshihiro Sawa, Lexus executive vice president, will succeed him as global Lexus boss.

In his new role, Fukuichi wants to light up the Lexus identity.

The Tokyo media launch of the new Lexus LC gave clues to a more glamorous Lexus on the way. The sexy racer sits atop the lineup as beautiful eye candy with the street cred to match. It will sell for ¥13 million (about $115,650 at current exchange rates) in Japan and $92,995 including shipping, in the U.S., which should help burnish a premium brand that has lacked a halo car since LFA production ended in 2012.

Also on display was the sleek and bronze Lexus Sport Yacht, a high-end design exercise unveiled in January in Miami that screams privilege and exclusivity. The carbon-fiber vessel harnesses the power of twin 5.0-liter V-8 engines, based on the 2UR-GSE performance engine of the Lexus RC F coupe.

So was a mock-up of the single-seat white-and-blue Skyjet -- the Lexus-branded spaceship prop that will be featured in the upcoming science fiction movie Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. The film is set 700 years in the future -- a big-screen testimony to Lexus' wager on its long-lasting luxury legacy. Clearly visible on the movie prop is Lexus' trademark spindle grille and logo.

Even the media event itself evidenced a grander Lexus branding. The reveal was a rare glitz fest for Japan's auto industry, with techno music, mood lighting and waiters serving finger foods -- a departure from the more businesslike tradition of drab PowerPoint programs.

The ever-spritely Fukuichi, 65, was decked out in a loud pink polka-dot tie and a shirt with a black-and-white tablecloth-patterned collar.

Toyota President Akio Toyoda has given Fukuichi latitude to tackle any issue related to branding in his new role, from product planning and technology to marketing and advertising.

"I'm able to do whatever I want," said Fukuichi, who will continue in the additional role of the automaker's head of advanced design.

He now will be the final arbiter of outward image for all things Lexus and Toyota.

He says it is crucial that Lexus escape the perception of being just Toyota-Plus, bemoaning people who buy aftermarket Lexus grilles to slap on their downmarket Toyotas.

The problem was partly self-inflicted, he says, with platform sharing and thinly disguised rebadging between the brands, such as the Lexus HS and Toyota Sai hybrid siblings. Lexus has traditionally been the entry point for pricey new technology that then trickles down into Toyota.

That all blurs the brands and makes Lexus less coveted.

"Let's clearly define Lexus and wait and decide that some things can only be Lexus and not applied to Toyota," Fukuichi said. "I would like to clarify that sort of distinction."

Lexus' relentless pursuit of the Germans has been hard-fought and fitful.

In the U.S., the younger Japanese challenger was long the luxury-segment sales leader. But more recently, Mercedes-Benz and BMW have dueled each other for that distinction. Their U.S. sales were up through February, while Lexus volume tumbled 23 percent in the first two months to land Lexus in a distant third place.

On the global stage, Lexus fares even worse against its storied German competitors.

"The main thing the German brands have going for them is history and a long stream of good models," says Chris Richter, an auto analyst at CLSA Asia-Pacific Markets.

While Lexus routinely tops the charts for durability and customer satisfaction, it still fetches much lower transaction prices than the Germans, according to Kelley Blue Book.

In a Kelley Blue Book shopper survey of perceived luxury, Lexus outscored BMW and Audi and was ranked alongside Aston Martin and Porsche. But it still trailed Mercedes.

"Lexus' strengths such as quality and service can't be fully appreciated unless you're in the car driving," Fukuichi said. "Better quality isn't that necessary. Better brand power is."

As a design guy, Fukuichi fully appreciates the power of presentation.

It is part of a corporate vision that sees Lexus eventually wielding a kind of snob factor on a par with the Germans.

"After you purchase a Lexus, your whole lifestyle changes. The people you meet and circulate with change," he said. "That means with just one car, your total life image will change."

The price of premium
Lexus U.S. transaction prices rose in February from a year earlier, but lag luxury competitors.

Feb. 2017 / Feb. 2016 % / change
Lexus $48,274 / $47,631 /+ 1.40%
Audi $51,973 / $49,378 / +5.30%
BMW $53,316 / $54,009 / +1.30%
Mercedes / $55,614 / $56,725 / –2.0%
Cadillac / $58,486 / $57,518 / + 1.70%
Overall industry +2.50%

Source: Kelley Blue Book

http://www.autonews.com/article/20170326/OEM03/303279980/can-this-man-finally-deliver-lexus-envy

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-03-27-lexus-tokuo-fukuichi.jpg

Fukuichi will step down as Lexus International president and pursue a different role with the brand.
View the original article post

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
MAYBE it's not just aftermarket grilles, have you seen the front end of the new Camry? The untrained eye surely cannot tell that it is a Toyota and not a Lexus from a distance. They need to separate Lexus designing from Toyota

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
MAYBE it's not just aftermarket grilles, have you seen the front end of the new Camry? The untrained eye surely cannot tell that it is a Toyota and not a Lexus from a distance. They need to separate Lexus designing from Toyota

Yes, I have noticed that as well. While it may only be a small point, but the front and rear light style in the LC is apparent on the Prius and some other toyota models. I don't know how to characterize the style, but its that tear drop, leaking eye style where the light trails downwards (like the turn signal lights on the LC

Maybe he can get someone to improve the Lexus touch pad interface with the infotainment system. that would be nice, even if its just giving the owner the option of varying the sensitivity of the touch pad. Sometimes I swear I only have my finger hovering above the pad (not touching) and it moves the cursor. I know this is far more trivial that increasing Lexus Envy or clearly distinguishing Lexus from Toyota, but its a very concrete start

Last edited by a moderator:

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Maybe he can get someone to improve the Lexus touch pad interface with the infotainment system. that would be nice, even if its just giving the owner the option of varying the sensitivity of the touch pad. Sometimes I swear I only have my finger hovering above the pad (not touching) and it moves the cursor. I know this is far more trivial that increasing Lexus Envy or clearly distinguishing Lexus from Toyota, but its a very concrete start

Maybe he stepped down from his Lexus International President role specifically to get away from being in charge of redesigning the Remote Touch interface.

:D

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
Maybe he stepped down from his Lexus International President role specifically to get away from being in charge of redesigning the Remote Touch interface.

LOL, likely! branding issues are far bigger than touch pads! :laughing: and likely easier to address

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions

Although it is not the same thing, why does this remind me of when, BMW's Chris Bangle was "promoted" from director of BMW brand design to president of BMW Group design in February 2004? He unceremoniously "resigned" 5 years later in February 2009, right before they signed off the 2012 3-Series' final design, their primary moneymaker.

Many people read it back then as BMW executives wanting to carefully remove him from to day to day operations. Perhaps the efforts of Tokuo Fukuichi the past 7 years, are now making him butt heads with the wrong execs at Toyota/Lexus? Not saying this is reality, but just a theory. As even BMW had great sales with their revolutionary design language, but too many traditional customers and the media complained loudly against them.

Axel

Fan
Reactions
Toyota is a company that knows what to do but desperation always get the better of them. At the end of the day they are always going to steal from lexus be it the grill or other style elements for some important toyota models eg. Camry. What lexus should do is move one step higher to give Toyota some breathing space this would allow Toyota to steal from lexus without hurting the image of lexus. "Step higher" get rid of the CT,ES,NX lexus don't need these cars put them under Toyota, I mean why build affordable luxury when you have Toyota for that? Lexus should focus on cars like LC,LS,RC,LX,GS,IS. For so long lexis still have the cheap luxury on their line up people will only focus on those cars and go for Mercedes for something expensive

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
I hope he will see to the re design on the grille!! Please Lexus get over this now it is making a brand a laughing stock having such a big mouth. The overall designs are generally good but the front end is another story when one compares the 2012 Lexus IS to the latest rendition one is immediately struck by the refined and quality look of the earlier design and it is the front end that needs to be reduced and refined. I believe other brands are pulling ahead due to this one design aspect which is an abject failure and the designers need to be recalled and replaced now. I am a firm Lexus devotee and will probably never leave this brand but Sales are falling dramatically and someone needs to take responsibility and look at all aspects of the cars - they are excellent motor cars with great records for reliability performance etc so what is wrong? The grille.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
I hope he will see to the re design on the grille!! Please Lexus get over this now it is making a brand a laughing stock having such a big mouth. The overall designs are generally good but the front end is another story when one compares the 2012 Lexus IS to the latest rendition one is immediately struck by the refined and quality look of the earlier design and it is the front end that needs to be reduced and refined. I believe other brands are pulling ahead due to this one design aspect which is an abject failure and the designers need to be recalled and replaced now. I am a firm Lexus devotee and will probably never leave this brand but Sales are falling dramatically and someone needs to take responsibility and look at all aspects of the cars - they are excellent motor cars with great records for reliability performance etc so what is wrong? The grille.

I am not sure that any drop in sales is due to the grille design, or solely due to the grille design. I really like the grille on the new LC as well. I have heard that there are some who hate the grille design but others who love it. If I were Lexus, I would collect some data on this issue along with considering a range of other reasons that might account for any loss of sales. I confess that I am not up on the sales numbers, nor do I know which segment of the line in which geographical location is experiencing declines (and which are experiencing gains). It does seem like a good move to focus on branding. if this issue is a problem, they should be able to identify it and look for ways of fixing it. IMHO it seems doubtful at this point that they will abandon the grille design, especially with the new LC touting a very attractive grille. of course, subjectivity in this area is huge.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I hope he will see to the re design on the grille!! Please Lexus get over this now it is making a brand a laughing stock having such a big mouth.

This would fall under the category of "trying to appease your sworn enemies", and no matter how hard Jalopnik huffs and puffs there's no sales data that actually proves any kind of mass consumer disapproval of the spindle. On the contrary, pretty much everyone else's grille has gotten larger and bolder since the introduction of the spindle. I mean, have you seen the giant chrome Flavor Flav version of the Mercedes logo that's on their new cars? The old hood ornament was much classier. Some of Audi's grilles are proportionally nearly as large as the spindle, they just aren't spindle shaped.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
This would fall under the category of "trying to appease your sworn enemies", and no matter how hard Jalopnik huffs and puffs there's no sales data that actually proves any kind of mass consumer disapproval of the spindle. On the contrary, pretty much everyone else's grille has gotten larger and bolder since the introduction of the spindle. I mean, have you seen the giant chrome Flavor Flav version of the Mercedes logo that's on their new cars? The old hood ornament was much classier. Some of Audi's grilles are proportionally nearly as large as the spindle, they just aren't spindle shaped.

well said!