Lexus Japan to Offer Made-to-Order Floor Mats for LC Coupe

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-03-22-lexus-lc-floormats.jpg

Handwoven in the Tango region of North Kyoto.
View the original article post

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
very cool. I saw a video on YouTube showing the process of making these mats.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
Ha! just checked the link. That was the video I saw. Very tempting

Yes, tempting, but really expensive

Last edited by a moderator:

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
It looks cool and really matches the inner door panels. Super expensive but not surprised as Lexus Japan options are usually overpriced.

Lexus Japan always have a thicker carpet as a dealer option for all models and it is around USD800-900. So for this highly customer, made-to-order carpets with special pattern, they charge you a premium.

http://lexus.jp/models/is/specifications/dealer_option/interior/index.html

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
But you need to do customization with more parts of the car. Lexus severely lacks in customization even in their flagship sports coupe.

I'll agree that floor mats are pretty low on the customization list, but what are you thinking specifically? Honestly curious, as I can't really think of anything outside of a full made-to-order interior.

LDeleuran

Fan
Reactions
I don't think the price is super high. I got a custom leather upgrade for my CT. Detailings like custom floor mats in high quality materials are simply expensive. These are luxury goods, after all. Take a look at what options cost for a Porsche for comparison. $500 for custom colored seat belts for instance.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I don't think the price is super high. I got a custom leather upgrade for my CT. Detailings like custom floor mats in high quality materials are simply expensive.

I agree on the price -- these are handmade by a master craftsman. It's the very definition of a luxury item, and it's going to be expensive.

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
I'll agree that floor mats are pretty low on the customization list, but what are you thinking specifically? Honestly curious, as I can't really think of anything outside of a full made-to-order interior.

I love Lexus but their problem is that they like to lock you into what they think are good packages.
For Lexus, you can't mix sport and luxury, you can't have every exterior and interior color combination. I'm not asking for full customization but even this basic level of customization is not available. If I wanted F-Sport exterior styling and performance, I can't have an interior of some of the beautiful wood Lexus creates (shimamoku and the like), I must conform to the aluminum/carbon fiber trend. I can't even have a power rear sunshade.

Very disappointing. I'll admit, I may be a different type of consumer compared to mass market and I do like differentiation and being unique.

I'm still considering the LC500h towards later 2017 and would like the Structural Blue on Blue/White/Orange interior.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I'm not asking for full customization but even this basic level of customization is not available. If I wanted F-Sport exterior styling and performance, I can't have an interior of some of the beautiful wood Lexus creates (shimamoku and the like), I must conform to the aluminum/carbon fiber trend. I can't even have a power rear sunshade.

Every time I bring up interior customization to executives, the pushback is always about the delay between ordering and delivery. The L-Select program offered with the LS in Japan is available strictly because of its proximity to the manufacturing plants.

I have always disagreed, believing that the type of customer that wants this level of customization would be happy to wait the 2-3 months for delivery as it's not their only car in the stable and personalization is the ultimate luxury.

I believe an LFA-style customization program should be offered for the LS/LX/LC -- it doesn't have to be a giant marketing role out, they could just send out brochures to the dealerships and offer a phone or video consultation.

Just spitballing here.

LDeleuran

Fan
Reactions
I believe an LFA-style customization program should be offered for the LS/LX/LC -- it doesn't have to be a giant marketing role out, they could just send out brochures to the dealerships and offer a phone or video consultation.

That would be amazing. Especially for countries where import tarifs, local taxes, dealer markups and poorly negotiated prices make Lexus products at least 50% more expensive than the Germans. I had to pay $85.000 for my CT and will have to shed out $275.000 for a base LC500. For this price I wouldn't mind waiting a couple of months to get mine made-to-order.

Reactions: RAL

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
That would be amazing. Especially for countries where import tarifs, local taxes, dealer markups and poorly negotiated prices make Lexus products at least 50% more expensive than the Germans. I had to pay $85.000 for my CT and will have to shed out $275.000 for a base LC500. For this price I wouldn't mind waiting a couple of months to get mine made-to-order.

Wow, where are you based if you don't mind me asking?

LDeleuran

Fan
Reactions
Denmark. We import Lexus cars from Germany. LC500 starting price is roughly €100.000. I get 7% German VAT reduction, but have to add the 25% Danish VAT. Then 108% of the price of the first €10.000 followed by 150% of the remainder of the price, resulting in €276425 or $298539 US.

There is a reason why the yearly lexus sales can be counted on a single hand, even though the German competitors sell in the thousands.

RAL

Reactions
Denmark. We import Lexus cars from Germany. LC500 starting price is roughly €100.000. I get 7% German VAT reduction, but have to add the 25% Danish VAT. Then 108% of the price of the first €10.000 followed by 150% of the remainder of the price, resulting in €276425 or $298539 US.

There is a reason why the yearly lexus sales can be counted on a single hand, even though the German competitors sell in the thousands.

We are pleased to be hosting a foreign exchange student from Denmark. His father owns a Ford-Hyundai-Mazda-Subaru dealership in Viborg. He attests to the taxes of which you speak. While the Danish are reportedly among the happiest, most amiable people on earth ... their tax rate on vehicles especially is among the highest! ... ;)

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
Every time I bring up interior customization to executives, the pushback is always about the delay between ordering and delivery. The L-Select program offered with the LS in Japan is available strictly because of its proximity to the manufacturing plants.

I have always disagreed, believing that the type of customer that wants this level of customization would be happy to wait the 2-3 months for delivery as it's not their only car in the stable and personalization is the ultimate luxury.

Just spitballing here.

The cost of universal health care, folks.

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
They should have a full-on BMW-style "pick up the car at the factory while touring Japan" thing.
This would be really cool, maybe make it available for F/flagship models. Plus being able to visit the Motomachi plant would be incredible as a Lexus fan.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
They should have a full-on BMW-style "pick up the car at the factory while touring Japan" thing.

I have been very vocal about this very thing, but it falls on deaf ears. I really wonder how many people would participate -- I bet it would much higher with the LC.