Officially Official: Lexus RX 350L and RX 450hL Debuts in LA

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-02-27-lexus-rx-long-wheelbase.jpg

Chinese site CarNewsChina uncovers new details.
View the original article post

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
Lexus does not manufacture any cars locally, even this China-only model will be made in Japan.
Great news. I definitely don't think the it will be a "China-only" model though. Not when the Americans love the RX and 3-row LSUVs so much, and not when expanding the hybrid line-up is so important to Lexus' success in Japan and Europe.

Last edited:

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
For the record, the next major auto shows are New York (press preview days on April 12 and 13) and, a week later, Shanghai (April 19-20 will be press days). It'll be interesting to see what Lexus does about New York. Nothing new, as in Chicago? (thus leaving the full RX L line debut to Shanghai). Or a split RX 350L debut for New York / RX 450hL debut for Shanghai strategy? I'm betting on the latter.

Also, will there be an RX 200tL for markets outside North America? Has such a badge even been copyrighted anywhere? (I doubt it).

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
For the record, the next major auto shows are New York (press preview days on April 12 and 13) and, a week later, Shanghai (April 19-20 will be press days). It'll be interesting to see what Lexus does about New York. Nothing new, as in Chicago? (thus leaving the full RX L line debut to Shanghai). Or a split RX 350L debut for New York / RX 450hL debut for Shanghai strategy? I'm betting on the latter.

Also, will there be an RX 200tL for markets outside North America? Has such a badge even been copyrighted anywhere? (I doubt it).

It would be a pleasant surprise to see a new debut or two from Toyota or Lexus at the New York Show.

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
Last edited:

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions

The New York Int'l. Auto Show just posted its 2017 press conference schedule:
http://www.autoshowny.com/press/#/press-conferences

No Lexus press conference at all. So, barring the very slim likelihood of a stand-alone event on Tuesday night 11 April, it looks like RX L will be a no-show at the Big Apple, leaving the full RX L line world debut to Shanghai.

Further dimming the hopes of a New York Lexus stand-alone event on Tuesday night 11 April, the press conference schedule lists Jeep (presumably for the "Hellcat" Grand Cherokee Trackhawk) but not Dodge. The latter brand has been making such a big advance fuss (with 10 gazillion teasers and videos) of the Challenger Demon that this will probably be the big Tuesday night pre-show press reveal.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Hmmm... with the Lexus Global Newsroom press release for Auto Shanghai 2017 ( http://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/detail/15967629/ ) mentioning only the NX mid-life refresh and the Asian debut of the LS 500h, it appears that CarNewsChina was mistaken in its prediction that RX L would debut there. When and where, then, will RX L make its first appearance? At an event outside the major auto show circuit? At Pebble Beach in August? At one of the major Fall auto shows (Frankfurt, Tokyo and Los Angeles)? Or during calendar year 2018?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Well, at least the RX now has rear overhang to match the front overhang. :joy:

In all seriousness, Lexus should be rather embarrassed with this all the way around. They've been talking about the idea for a decade and all they can do now is extend the rear overhang? Come on...

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Can you even fit a third row in the RX if you don't make it larger?
I guess you can, given that the current Toyota Highlander (sold mostly in 3-row guise) has the same identical 109.8" wheelbase and 192.5" overall length as the current 2-row RX. If the MagX rendering is correct, they're just extending the rear overhang on RX to compensate for the fact that its rear styling is more sloped than the more squared-off Highlander.

Still, the "L" when appended to a model designation usually implies a longer wheelbase. Is this an exception where the "L"means added length on the same wheelbase? Or is that rendering wrong?

As to the rumored launch schedule, if only RX 450hL is unveiled at the Tokyo Motor Show (as MagX seems to suggest), will RX 350L make its world debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show roughly a week later?

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Funny how we were just posting about the RX L. Surprised Lexus won't increase the wheelbase but just extend the rear end of the RX. The Highlander has decent room in the third row and I liked it. Hopefully Lexus can pull this off. I would have gotten an RX L if it was out sooner but went with the GX instead. I look forward to this new RX variant. This will definitely increase sales of the RX.

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
From the picture of this 3-row RX-L, it doesn't look like the 3rd row has good legroom. In fact, it looks cramped to me. I wonder who are actual their direct competitors?

mikeavelli

Reactions
We have a RX and I am also shocked the wheelbase won't be stretched. The Highlander 7 seater is quite for kids only in the back. I can't fit back there but I do fit in a GX/LX for a short trip. I guess some ingenuity will be used!!

I already showed the wife that pic and she got excited hahahaha....rarely happens for a car.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
A week-old article from Japan's Excite website offers additional bits of information on RX L.

Original Japanese-language link: http://www.excite.co.jp/News/car/20170622/NikkanCarsensor_62460.html?_p=2

As run through Google Translate: https://translate.google.com/transl...nCarsensor_62460.html?_p=2&edit-text=&act=url

Their most pertinent facts and comments:

- Since RX L is expected to maintain much of RX's C/D pillar and rear quarter window design, expect 3rd-row seat passengers to have poor outside visibility.

- On-sale date for RX L in Japan is expected to be January 2018.

- Exterior dimensions for RX L are predicted to be
5050 mm (198.8") overall length (an increase of 60mm / 6.3" over RX)
1895 mm (74.6") overall width (same for both)
1710 mm overall height (a 10mm / 0.4" drop for RX L that is probably either a rounding error or a difference in tire height)

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
The added rear overhang does affect handling negatively.....

Unless the handling-degradation is serious, or to the point where it affects safety (and I don't think Lexus would put something like that into production), I don't see where it's a big deal. One is buying an SUV, not a sports-car.