February 2017 Sales Report

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-03-01-lexus-nx-sales-report.jpg

A 20.6% decrease in sales as SUV inventory struggles to keep up with demand.
View the original article post

James

Founding Member
Reactions
With SUV demand so high and prolly continue for some time. Can the Kentucky plant that makes ES make SUVs here? Just wondering since it sucks to not have the cars on the lots for people to buy and they go to another brand because they have it in stock.

Reactions
It seems that vehicles on stilts are the only vehicles moving off most dealer lots, and if they aren't on stilts, Mercedes seems has most of the momentum right now of the luxury brands. Not good times for Lexus for sure, same for Toyota as well...

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Will hopefully this will be a wake-up call, as the LS sales are excusable now, since a new model has been shown and like the LS430 in 2006, will experience a serious sales slump. However, the move to 5-year life-cycle for the ES may not benefit them in the short term, as the car might be beginning to show its age.

I never really read into it too much (or at all), but is it possible that the "no haggling" sales technique, in addition to higher leasing rates be affecting Lexus as well? I would think that the lack of significantly improved engines might be hurting them somewhat, as Infiniti has seen a massive uptick in sales following the introduction of their new VR turbo engines in the Q50 and new Q60. Yet the 2018 MY Q50 mid-cycle refresh I had leaked was coming last year (no one else confirmed it), has barely just made its press debut. Yet Lexus is suffering with moving their own brand-new IS refresh? How will they manage until 2019-2020? And yet they want to discontinue the GS next year

I point this out the Infiniti example, as many people are quick to tell me that Lexus' customer base doesn't care about power and performance, yet Infiniti's Q50 is somehow winning them over and various older products outside and more expensive Q60. This just did not happen the past, where Lexus sufficiently updated or replaced their power plants more often. It seems that once the GR and UR families were introduced in the early-mid 2000s, they did not bother themselves with doing much to them.

Although Audi has been most focused on attacking German competitors in MB and BMW, they are also taking Lexus customers as well, partly due to reliability improvements.