Lexus Named Top Brand in J.D. Power 2017 Vehicle Dependability Study

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-02-24-lexus-gs-2013-jd-power-dependability.jpg

This is the sixth year Lexus has been the most dependable brand in the USA.
View the original article post

Reactions: Den

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
Congratulations to Lexus on another VDS win. However, I must say that while Lexus' ranking remains #1, the fact that its actual PP100 numbers are trending UP over the recent years is a bit worrying, from 68 to 89 to 95 to 110 as shown below. At this rate Lexus is rather likely to lose its VDS crown next year.
0400f6f33bf4cb6c2a889772d4418934-720x960.jpg

2015%20VDS%20Slide1_0.jpg

2016_vds_rank_1.jpg

17_vds_chart_1.jpg

On the other hand, Lexus and Toyota are the ONLY brands that consistently outperform the industry average in every single year in which VDS (and for that matter, Consumer Report's reliability survey) was done. All the other brands have been highly inconsistent. Porsche may be on top recently but it was near bottom 6 or 10 years ago. Same goes for Mercedes, Audi and Acura and Infiniti, each of which have their moments on the right side of the charts in certain years but can fluctuate wildly in other years. So in that sense it's not actually that big of a deal if Lexus loses its top place as long as it continues to be dependably dependable, rather than only "luckily" dependable like other brands. That is, when you buy a Lexus, you know you're likely to get a dependable car, but when you buy a car of another brand, you won't be so sure if you happen to be in the brand's "good year".

Last edited:

farid

Premium Member
Reactions
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees....yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees...lexuuuuuuuuuus i love youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

thanks krew for hot news...

Reactions
Hi guys,

I am doing a comparative study regarding customer care; I âm from South Africa and my car has been in a Lexus dealership for two months goint to three now, because Lexus has to order parts from Japan. Each order takes 21 days and they keep ordering parts one at a time. This would not be so frustrating if they were offering a loan car but they say it is not their problem. I want to know from you guys if this is standard practice in your country.

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
To Lexubsa - this is surely unusual I am also in South Africa and now have my second Lexus and advise I have found the Lexus service nothing short of outstanding. Perhaps you could have us more detail of the problem with the car?

Reactions
To Lexubsa - this is surely unusual I am also in South Africa and now have my second Lexus and advise I have found the Lexus service nothing short of outstanding. Perhaps you could have us more detail of the problem with the car?

I thought so too until I experienced this delay with parts ordered from Japan. Please check Hellopeter.co.za as this is not a single incident. I am glad you enjoyed your experience, but as for I am going to try other manufacturers offering better customer care. My car has been in the dealership since it was flooded on December 2016. It is second month now and Lexus is still struggling to get parts to fix the car. Most people told me to lower my expectations as I am likely to get it after three months. Unacceptable !

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Egads Acura and Infiniti?
the Acura RLX is actually one of the least reliable vehicles on the market right now. Looks like Toyota and Lexus are the only reliable Japanese companies now. Notice how they are the only two companies above the industry average that are Japanese. Hyundai is Korean. But, in 2014, Mazda, Subaru and Infiniti are above average. Now, they are below.

Also, where is Honda in the 2017 chart?

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
the Acura RLX is actually one of the least reliable vehicles on the market right now. Looks like Toyota and Lexus are the only reliable Japanese companies now. Notice how they are the only two companies above the industry average that are Japanese. Hyundai is Korean. But, in 2014, Mazda, Subaru and Infiniti are above average. Now, they are below.

Also, where is Honda in the 2017 chart?
Honda is right there at #9, below Chevrolet and above Jaguar.

The so-called "Japanese quality" is a thing of the past. We should no longer generalized quality tendency based on the nationality of a nameplate, since every nameplate, regardless of nationality, has different mission, philosophy, priority, sources of suppliers and locations of assempbly. Even Scion, essentially low-end Toyota, had been doing relatively poorly in most quality and reliability surveys before it was axed.

Last edited: