Rumor: Lexus LC F to be High-Powered Hybrid?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-02-10-lexus-lc-f-dark-grey.jpg

Will the LC F go high-tech hybrid or high-displacement turbo?
View the original article post

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Lexus used to be a company that was scared to make a dramatic change to one of it's cars that go against the norm. They only did it after a German company did it first so they can see how much the brand is criticized and follow suite depending. I don’t think that Lexus is that company anymore, especially after it bravely chose to make the first ever large luxury sedan without a V8 option and only have a V6 available. This tells me that Lexus is ready to be a revolutionary brand now instead of just imitating the Germans and other companies.

So if Lexus wants to do a LC F or any performance model of a regular model, they will do it because they are not a brand that is too scared to change the market forever. Sure, there are performance hybrids from other companies, (BMW i8, etc.) but they are not really performance models of a mainstream model in the lineup so they don’t really count for my point. I don’t think Lexus is going to back down from being the first company to make a hybrid performance car and change the performance car market forever if they really want to. Plus Lexus and Toyota in general will forever be known as the pioneers of hybrid technology, especially if they do this.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
Well I guess that transmission revision was made for a reason and just for the gear change feeling ;)

I am very interested to see what hey have in store. Sadly individual wheel electric motors out of question but I suspect some form of cutting edge lithium-ion battery storage to be in there together with more powerful motor. No matter what it turns out to be one thing is for sure, it will be the biggest revision of Lexus hybrid's electrical components after 2007.

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
Using a V8 TT screams "me too", but is surely an easier way to achieve performance figures comparable to those of the competition. It'll be the safest and the most obvious way to build some sales momentum for the F brand that it desperately needs, but again it will not help elevate the F brand to a leader in any way.

Going the hybrid route may help set it apart from the competitors, but the F brand has so far built its reputation on its focus on driving enjoyment, so unless there's a drastic change in Lexus' approach to its hybrid implementation, the current CVT-centric nature of Lexus' hybrid drivetrains, still lacking in driver engagement despite improvements made in the LC500h, will not align well with the core values of the F brand.

IMHO Lexus WILL have to rethink and re-innovate its hybrid system like the Porsche did with its ingenious drivetrain in the 918 Spyder to achieve something that a flagship F car deserves. Cheaping out with a V8 TT or reusing the current HSD paradigm simply will not do the F brand any service in the long term.

Lastly, if Lexus can somehow manage to pass its overall CAFE requirements, I'm sure everyone will welcome a retuned NA V10 in the LC-F. It may be so "last decade" but it'll surely make for a properly memorable flagship. If BMW and Audi can manage to produce V10s at relatively reasonable costs, I don't see why Lexus will have to charge LFA-like prices if the LC-F can sell at volumes similar to the E60 M5 and the R8, especially since the R&D of the V10 is done and has already been largely paid for.

Last edited:

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
v8 based hybrid would be pretty awesome. imagine if the LC500h made 550-600hp. The transmission alone already makes up for most of the gap it has between itself and the LC500 v8.

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
v8 based hybrid would be pretty awesome. imagine if the LC500h made 550-600hp. The transmission alone already makes up for most of the gap it has between itself and the LC500 v8.
The amount of horsepower the electric motor can provide is limited by the output of the batteries, which on the LC500h is only 72hp. The 5.0L V8 on the LC500 is rated at only 468hp, so the total output will be no more than 540hp. There will have to be other tunings required if the V8 hybrid is to get into the 550-600hp range.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean when you say the transmission alone already makes up for most of the gap between the LC500h and the LC500. If anything the transmission is one of the things that makes the LC500h less suitable for hardcore driving than the LC500.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The NA 5.0l V8, but also NA 4.6 and 5.7 V8 engines are quite certainly the last V8 engines from TMC. 60° V6 with forced induction and electric motors is what is coming next. Anyone believing otherwise, is deluded.

If you like the best engine ever built, you have the Lexus LFA or Ferrari V12, but it is not free. Lexus is no more a Japanese an imitation of German premium.
With forced induction, cylinder count and displacement play a lesser role. With forced induction there is no more advantage of a V8 over V6, and with hybrid tech there is no more advantage of a 90° V6 over a 60° V6. With the end of V8 engines (also by Germans), Lexus skipping force induced V8 engines as too late in the game, and the only high performance non exotic engines remaining being 6 cylinders, Lexus will have the most unique V6 with 60° (as opposed to V8 derived V6 with 90° like VAG, FCA, JLR, GM), without the size disadvantages of I6 (like BMW and Daimler).

Although I would like an I6 turbo diesel in the next Land Cruiser, TMC will have only I4 and V6 engines, NA, FI, and NA and FI with (plug-in) hybrid tech, so as pure BEV tech and probably HFCEV tech if they continue on the side.

I do think might have developed an/some FI V8 engines, but given today's context, they might never be see the light of the day.

DFGeneer

Fan
Reactions
I guess the easiest way for them is V6 hybrid with turbo, may be even electric turbo/supercharger.
The LFA NA V10 + hybrid would be a dream, but the price will be crazy. Also, the immediate response of that engine will be negated by the hybrid transmission, which on the other hand can make a laggy turbo V6 feel immediate.
Then, there is the TS050 - the LMP1 Le Man prototype with a non-planetary gear hybrid transmission..

Last edited:

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@meth.ix
I got your point that Lexus now got more courage not as before , but I still waiting and will still waiting the v8 variant

They must do it , why with God sake I will trade my V8 4.6 liter with V6

I was dad when they killed the GS460 , and I was right. If the non F V8 460 still here , maybe the GS still sold in decent numbers.

Imagine 2017 Samsung S8 with snapdragon 820 from the first half of 2016, to ditch the V8 in the large segment is a way wrong decision and you will see my point 4 or 5 years from now

RIP

mikeavelli

Reactions
With the move to lithium ion (smaller, better efficiency, more power) this makes sense especially with some of the players as hybrids (918, NSX, i8, etc). Having a new tt V-8 would be an amazing start and adding eletric power would be pretty amazing. At this rate I would think its a 150k easy though.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
All what I hope and dream about is the engine from LS650TMG
The TMG confirmed as also Akio that it will be adopted from the next generation LS

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
All what I hope and dream about is the engine from LS650TMG
The TMG confirmed as also Akio that it will be adopted from the next generation LS

This could be quite possibly the engine that they will use. Twin Turbo V8 producing 650 HP although not going hybrid will hurt them.

Now is the time, they can't revisit it again in a few years.

Also, if they can shut off half the cylinders and go 4 cyl twin turbo or 6 cyl twin turbo with hybrid power, that would definitely make the car a lot more attractive.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I still think it is too late. I am not thrilled by this anymore. As Mohammed said, TT V8 with hybrid, but it is cost accordingly. TT V8 won't cut it anymore, there is nothing special about such an engine. Even VAG's new flagship engine is no more the TTV8 but the up-coming TTV8 with hybrid. Same for the new McLarens.

A Lexus LC-F with TTV8 will be seen as fail, unless it is coupled with hybrid tech. TTV8 without hybrid will just be seen as an inferior "me too" product.

Reactions
My guess. V6 or V8 TT with hybrid application producing well over 600hp. Could be a far cry, but I think they would do it.

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
Anyway, LC looks so good, better than any supercar or GT, that it largely deserves +600 PS.

The world doesn't care about how a car looks as much as how it performs.

How many times did you hear someone say OMG look at how perfect that Bugatti looks? Or OMG look at how perfect that X Super car looks? The first thing everyone points out is how much horsepower and how fast it can get to 60mph.

Looks and fancy gadgets are important for the average car and by average I mean 0 - 60 in 5s or more. When you venture into supercar territory, looks are an afterthought.

The LFA looks great, it does, but no one pointed out how it looks as much as how well it performs and sounds.

The LC F has to be that. It has to have the power to bring in a new era of F performance vehicles even if it does it in 2 stages.

The first being the TT V8 and the second being the LC FS for example with the addition of hybrid technology.

Anyways, in a few months to a year, all will be known and we will either sing songs of praise or remind each other of the Sriracha incident.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The world doesn't care about how a car looks as much as how it performs.

How many times did you hear someone say OMG look at how perfect that Bugatti looks? Or OMG look at how perfect that X Super car looks? The first thing everyone points out is how much horsepower and how fast it can get to 60mph.

Looks and fancy gadgets are important for the average car and by average I mean 0 - 60 in 5s or more. When you venture into supercar territory, looks are an afterthought.

The LFA looks great, it does, but no one pointed out how it looks as much as how well it performs and sounds.

The LC F has to be that. It has to have the power to bring in a new era of F performance vehicles even if it does it in 2 stages.

The first being the TT V8 and the second being the LC FS for example with the addition of hybrid technology.

Anyways, in a few months to a year, all will be known and we will either sing songs of praise or remind each other of the Sriracha incident.

They missed that era. That era has passed. Sportscars are not worth anything anymore, CUVs are. ICE is outdated, the future is EV. I prefer TMC be ready for next era, than be committed to neither and fail at both like BMW, without M supercar, and without mass market acceptable i electric car.

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
They missed that era. That era has passed. Sportscars are not worth anything anymore, CUVs are. ICE is outdated, the future is EV. I prefer TMC be ready for next era, than be committed to neither and fail at both like BMW, without M supercar, and without mass market acceptable i electric car.
I like what you're saying but Toyota is not ready to go full electric. They haven't committed to it.