Lexus January 2017 Sales Report

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-02-01-lexus-rx-january-2017.jpg

Sales are down 25.6% in the first month of the year.
View the original article post

Reactions: Den

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Wow um curious to see how the other automakers did. If they are high and Lexus IS low not a great sign for a year that I think Lexus can change their look with the Germans with the LC and LS coming this year.

Lexus Cohen

Follower
Reactions
I'm really hoping Lexus did better than their competitors, these numbers I'm seeing here are just horrible!

mikeavelli

Reactions
I had a few dealership friends ask me what was going on in the month, it hadn't been that bad in ages....well the numbers align with that...

Glancing quickly in the industry...SUVs continue to climb and sedans and coupes are plummetting....

mikeavelli

Reactions
Acura was down 10%
Audi set another sales record, they are right behind Lexus in January
BMW flat at 18k
Buick down 28%
Cadillac down 4%
Infiniti up 35% with the new QX30 and Q60 leading
Lexus down 26%
Lincoln up 22%

Just looking at that above, I've never seen such a month where the brands fluctuate so greatly.

Reactions
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/...N_US/bmw-group-u-s-reports-january-2017-sales
WOODCLIFF LAKE, N.J., Feb. 1, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Sales of BMW brand vehicles increased 0.1 percent in January for a total of 18,109 compared to 18,082 vehicles sold in January, 2016.

Notable vehicle sales in January include the BMW X1 which increased 21.4 percent, the BMW X3 which increased 57.5 percent, and the BMW X5 which increased 26.8 percent.

"The increased availability of the highly popular BMW X models is paying off as our X model U.S. sales in January topped the all-important 50 percent mark for the second month in a row," said Ludwig Willisch, President and CEO, BMW of North America. "Now, with February here, we are very much looking forward to the launch of our brilliant next generation 5 Series, only two weeks away."

BMW Group Sales
In total, the BMW Group in the U.S. (BMW and MINI combined) reported January sales of 21,219 vehicles, a decrease of 0.5 percent from the 21,320 vehicles sold in the same month a year ago.

MINI Brand Sales
For January, MINI USA reported 3,110 automobiles sold, a decrease of 4.0 percent from the 3,238 sold in the same month a year ago.

Reactions
I'm really hoping Lexus did better than their competitors, these numbers I'm seeing here are just horrible!
Unfortunately not.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...yota-double-digit-fall-as-lexus-supply-slides
TOYOTA: Double-digit fall as Lexus supply slides

DALLAS -- Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. reported a sharp fall in January sales, with the Toyota brand off 9.2 percent and the Lexus division down 26 percent, after both brands made big sales pushes in December.

Combined sales at the two brands fell 11 percent to 143,048 cars and light trucks as sedan sales cratered and light trucks posted a small drop.

“Coming off a record December and year in 2016, the industry in January took a bit of a pause with volume down slightly vs. a year ago,” Bill Fay, group vice president and manager of the Toyota division, said in a statement.

Toyota’s RAV4 and Highlander crossovers bucked the trend with record January sales on greater availability, Fay said.

Jeff Bracken, group vice president and general manager of the Lexus division, said December’s big sales numbers left the brand with limited supply of its hot-selling trucks. Lexus sold 15,572 vehicles in January vs. just over 41,000 in December.

“We are continuing to replenish dealer inventories and expect healthy levels in February,” he said.

Sales of Toyota cars, including the discontinued Venza wagon, were down 17 percent. The Camry sedan, America’s best-selling car, fell 24 percent, Corolla sedan sales lost 10 percent, and Prius hybrid sales dropped 16 percent.

The Toyota brand’s light trucks meanwhile slipped 1.4 percent, with pickups down 4.1 percent and the Sienna minivan off 34 percent. Those losses were partially offset by the RAV4’s 2.8 percent rise, a 12 percent gain for the Highlander and a 16 percent jump for the body-on-frame 4Runner SUV.

Lexus car sales plunged 41 percent, with the GS sedan down 68 percent and the top-selling ES off 36 percent. Light trucks fell 15 percent, with the NX dropping 5.4 percent and the top-selling RX down 21 percent.

Reactions
Mercedes-Benz #1 for January
http://www.autospies.com/news/Merce...tsells-Lexus-By-Almost-10-000-Vehicles-91701/
Mercedes Sales Rise 3.5% In January - Outsells Lexus By Almost 10,000 Vehicles

MercedesBenz USA today reported record January sales of 25,527, topping last January's record volume of 24,664 units sold.

Adding 2,049 units for Vans and 324 units for smart, MBUSA achieved its highest January to date with a grand total of 27,900 vehicles, up 3.5% from a year ago.

"This is the strong start we look for following a record year," said Dietmar Exler, president and CEO of MBUSA. "We will continue this momentum in 2017, as our product offensive continues with our flagship the new S-Class Sedan and new product offerings rounding out several model lines."

Mercedes-Benz volume leaders in January included the C-Class, E-Class (including the CLS) and GLE model lines. The C-Class took the lead at 6,453, followed by the E-Class sales of 4,155. The GLE rounded out the top three with 3,970 units sold.

Mercedes-AMG high-performance models sold 2,596 units in January, up 36.3% from last year (1,904).

Separately, Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned (MBCPO) models recorded sales of 10,496 vehicles in January, an increase of 5.7% when compared to the same month last year (9,934).

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Let's see if the LC ad to be aired at this weekend's Superbowl boosts sales in Feb. It will be hard to measure but I am expecting a Feb uptick over Jan.

D

DDas

Man, I felt like a parent finding out my child did not get accepted into college. These results are not great :/ The way I see it: the GS, GX, LX, and ES are ready for a new look. The RC and NX are ready for an update. The CT, also ready for a new look, is just not what people want right now. The RX (sort of) and IS came out recently, so that could help explain why they declined. The LS is obviously so out-dated, but the redesign will help big time when it finally arrives to showrooms. The LC will add a new option for high end buyers and finally refill that premium sport coupe that Lexus has been missing since the death of the SC (IMO the RC was not created to fill the SC's shoes - the LC was). The future UX (still hate that name) will also appeal to more customers that want that tall hatchback feel mixed with some rugged SUV/crossover traits. I mean the GLA, X1, and Q3 sell decently. Also, the 3-row RX coming soon will be a huge help as well.

Reactions
The GX is going away and is going to be replaced with the third row seating RX. Rumor has it the CT is going away and will be replaced with the new UX. Super excited for the Super Bowl commerical showing off the new vehicle, should be awesome.

Man, I felt like a parent finding out my child did not get accepted into college. These results are not great :/ The way I see it: the GS, GX, LX, and ES are ready for a new look. The RC and NX are ready for an update. The CT, also ready for a new look, is just not what people want right now. The RX (sort of) and IS came out recently, so that could help explain why they declined. The LS is obviously so out-dated, but the redesign will help big time when it finally arrives to showrooms. The LC will add a new option for high end buyers and finally refill that premium sport coupe that Lexus has been missing since the death of the SC (IMO the RC was not created to fill the SC's shoes - the LC was). The future UX (still hate that name) will also appeal to more customers that want that tall hatchback feel mixed with some rugged SUV/crossover traits. I mean the GLA, X1, and Q3 sell decently. Also, the 3-row RX coming soon will be a huge help as well.

D

DDas

The GX is going away and is going to be replaced with the third row seating RX. Rumor has it the CT is going away and will be replaced with the new UX. Super excited for the Super Bowl commerical showing off the new vehicle, should be awesome.
I like to think the GX won't die (same for the CT) :( The Super Bowl commercial is going to be the only reason why I watch (since I don't care for either team).

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
If Lexus can drop RX L sometime in Q3, that will be a game changer for the 2017 sales crown. (In full disclosure, I am not a fan of chasing sales numbers just for the sake of being #1).

This year, we should have:

RX L introduction
NX refresh
RC refresh
LC introduction/ramp up
LS introduction
... possible UX introduction? If not, 2018 for sure.
... possible ES introduction?

Reactions: CIF

mikeavelli

Reactions
I predict Lexus will slip into 3rd and lets pray Audi doesn't catch them slipping. The IS/ES/GS/LS/CT are all old now, even with refreshes. The RC is small volume. The LC/LS won't create a huge jump as they are small volume due to price.

Basically, the LUV's are going to hold it down this year. Which is why now a sub NX makes sense since the market wants it. They prefer a raised SUV to a CT, which is why the CT being dropped makes sense.

Mercedes sold 18k SUVs last month. The E class is new. The C-class new Coupe is here. They are going to have a big year.

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
Disappointing and concerning that the saloon models continue to slide at a rapid rate - hard as a Lexus supporter to understand why the cars are so good and service facilities are excellent so what is wrong? Surely bad planning to run out of stock as is claimed however if one really wants a particular brand of car one will usually wait until it is available be it a month or six months. No doubt Lexus/Toyota will be working overtime to try and get back on track.
Bring on more new models please starting with the UX this looks production ready bar some fine tuning. The new Camry will help Toyota as well i believe but the LX and GX in my opinion need running mates along the lines of Land Rover Discovery etc., and this must be on the drawing board.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Acura was down 10%
Audi set another sales record, they are right behind Lexus in January
BMW flat at 18k
Buick down 28%
Cadillac down 4%
Infiniti up 35% with the new QX30 and Q60 leading
Lexus down 26%
Lincoln up 22%

Just looking at that above, I've never seen such a month where the brands fluctuate so greatly.

Wow those numbers are just all over the place! What gives, what happened in January?

Also GS sales fell off a cliff wow! That can't be a supply problem. Has GS demand dropped that much? It's embarrassing to see, reminds me of the low point of 3GS sales.

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
Wow those numbers are just all over the place! What gives, what happened in January?

Also GS sales fell off a cliff wow! That can't be a supply problem. Has GS demand dropped that much? It's embarrassing to see, reminds me of the low point of 3GS sales.

The GS i agree has not been the success that was hoped for - fortunately this model is due for replacement about now so hopefully Lexus will step up to the plate. A random observation is that the IS is very compact particularly the cockpit area (the tunnel is very wide) and yet the GS seems to be too big at least on the outside. I do not think it is any bigger than the Five series actually but i think it looks quite a bit bigger on the road. The Five series in particular is outwardly a compact design and yet spacious on the inside. Styling is so subjective what one person likes another does not -interested to hear what others think about this - almost seems the two models do not fit the market norm when it comes to sizing e.g. 3 Series and 5 series. This can be viewed from various points of view but with Sales falling so drastically Lexus will no doubt re-look at their line up carefully. Pricing? I think Lexus are in line or even more competitive when one considers the equipment that comes standard on a Lexus. However it does mean one can buy a BMW/Merc as cheaply or cheaper without all their extra bits so one can own an alternative aspirational brand for less than a Lexus. Perhaps offer an alternative model not so fully equipped?
Lots to do.

Reactions
Audi and Mercedes' CUV/SUVs are on the jazz...the fact that the NX and RX sales got nicked this past month, wonder if it will be a trend or not. I think Lexus might have to rethink the styling direction on its cars...we've seen pushback here on the styling direction, perhaps this is showing on its sales.