This Weekend: Lexus RC F GT3 Debuts at Rolex 24 at Daytona

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-01-26-lexus-rc-f-gt3.jpg

Lexus returns to North American sports car racing on Saturday.
View the original article post

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
More on qualifying:
  • 3GT Racing’s Lexus RC F GT3s qualified in 13th (No. 14) and 20th (No. 15) at Daytona International Speedway in a 15-minute qualifying session for the GTD class prior to Saturday’s Rolex 24 at Daytona.
  • Five-time Rolex 24 winner Scott Pruett qualified the No. 14 Lexus in the 13th position with a best lap of 1:48.541 on the 3.56-mile Daytona road course.
  • Austin Cindric qualified the No. 15 Lexus in the 20th position with a best lap of 1:49.130 at Daytona.
  • Following qualifying, the team will participate in one evening practice on Thursday and a final practice on Friday morning prior to Saturday’s race.

SCOTT PRUETT, No. 14 Lexus RC F GT3

How was your first qualifying effort in the Lexus RC F GT3?

“It was a solid effort. We know we have some ground to cover. The Lexus RC F GT3 ran strong – no issues. We have a lot to learn, which we knew going into this. Qualifying is tough. There’s a lot of great cars out there. I’m really proud of the team and we’re just going to keep doing what we’re doing. Now we’re focused on a good race car and seeing what we can come up with for 24 hours. Just overall we just don’t have as much history as some of these other teams on the car. When you look at some of the teams who’ve had years of experience, we’ve had months of experience, so we’ve got our work cut out for us, but it’s time to go racing. Again, I’m proud of the team – Lexus, TTC (Toyota Technocraft), TRD (Toyota Racing Development), 3GT. Just going to keep doing what we do.”

AUSTIN CINDRIC, No. 15 Lexus RC F GT3

How was qualifying and what are your next steps before the race?

“It’s been a busy week for the 3GT camp. I think with a new race car, obviously you want to have everything right before the first race and I think that’s what we’re doing. I think our main focus is for the race, so I don’t think qualifying was a big concern for us, so just got to make sure the car is ready to go here in night practice so we can be nice and reliable and hopefully have a good 24 hours. We’re working on race setup for the RC F GT3– that’s what we’ve been working on all weekend. We haven’t even thought about qualifying and that shows on the time sheets, but like I said it doesn’t mean too much for a 24 hour race, so I’m looking forward to seeing the progress we make in this night practice and a little bit of practice on Friday, so the guys are working hard to figure things out and hopefully we can have some fun. I think the best spots for the Lexus are to be honest – well one is driving it, but the bus stop. I think that’s one of our strongest areas, so we obviously don’t want to hurt that while we’re improving the infield. I do believe the infield is our weak spot, but as any race team we have our weaknesses and we have our strengths, so we have to build on the strengths and build up the weaknesses.”

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
No.14 car crashes -- I'm being told driver Scott Pruett is fine, but the car is unlikely to continue:

17-01-28-pruett-crash.jpg

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
SCOTT PRUETT, No. 14 Lexus RC F GT3

What caused the incident?

“Well, we were just rolling around. The Lexus was running. We were just putting in the hours, you know? Not exactly sure what took place. We were racing pretty hard there in a group. It felt like I got just a little nudge from behind. It could have been just the air taken off the rear wing cause we were in a pack or something, but it snapped pretty hard, pretty quick down in turn one and unfortunately it got into the fence on the left hand side, so I don’t know if we’ll get going again. You just feel disappointed for all the guys, all the team, everybody that’s put this thing together and this is not how you want to start, so hopefully we’ll get back out there and get a little more running in and see what we can do.”

What emotions do you go through with an incident like this?

“Just disappointment. There’s so many people here that are a part of this program that have put so much energy and effort into getting here and then to have something like this happen it’s just frustrating. It’s not how you want to get things going.”

Have you had a chance to evaluate the vehicle?

“I have not.”

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
The No.15 car has jumped to the top of the class standings, where it now sits 1st. It is also 23rd overall. Calling it a night, will check in bright and early.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Hi everyone, I'm at the race. Been a crazy first few hours for Lexus! KREW thanks for the updates.

Rain is here so that changes things up.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Here is the full exterior walk around of the Lexus Experience Center. I walked to the action so you can see how close it is to the race. Lexus had some cool gifts they were giving away if you signed up on their email list (hat, notepad, microfiber cloth). They also had all new Lexus Racing stuff for sale, I racked up :D

They did bring the LS 500, there is a GS F, RC F and IS there as well along with a GT 3.

Quote of the day from one of the nice ladies "do you happen to own a Lexus?" :D

Here is the interior of the Lexus Experience Center. It is really well done.

And here is one of the two Pace Laps with the entire field of cars. You can see and hear the RC F GT 3's!

Reactions: Den

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
The No.15 suffered a setback in the ninth hour of the race, Sportscar365 has the details:

Dominik Farnbacher held the lead after the sixth Full Course Yellow of the race for the Change Racing Lamborghini Huracan GT3 crashing at the Bus Stop, but fell back when the right-rear delaminated on the banking.

The German driver managed to bring the car slowly back to the pits, but the tire damage had ripped away the entire right-rear body panel and required a new door to be fitted.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
No.15 is currently running 19th in the GTD class and 43th overall.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
With 40 minutes left in the race, the No.15 RC F GT3 is 15th in the GTD class and 38th overall.