Interview: Lexus LS Chief Engineer Toshio Asahi & Chief Designer Kouichi Suga

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-01-25-lexus-ls-hero.jpg

Discussing the twin-turbo V6, similarities with the LC, and how long it took to develop the new flagship.
View the original article post

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Great interview Krew. I think it was great information to know. I know we had a lot of questions about why couldn't the LS just be a longer LC and he described why that didn't happen. Good insight.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Thanks for the interview and posting, Kevin. Not every forum-head gets to interview high-ranking execs of their brand. :)

But looking five or ten years down the line, we didn’t feel the V8 package would be the right fit for this car.

Although you were right there with them, and admittedly in a better position to judge than me as a Monday-Morning quarterback, this part of their reply sounds to me like just basic corporate-speak for them having their hands tied by the upcoming CAFE rules. ;)

RAL

Reactions
It strikes me how it takes a certain amount of panache to interview these two men. You do this site proud Kevin!

I so look forward to experiencing the "presence" of this flagship in real life. Excuse the pun, but Lexus is surely turning a corner with the LC and the LS. It will be fun to watch this new design direction filter down to the remainder of the lineup.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Another amazing job KREW. I was also lucky enough to chat with Toshio Asahi during the #lexuslens event. Really nice guy.

It strikes me how it takes a certain amount of panache to interview these two men. You do this site proud Kevin!

It is obvious no other Lexus Forum/Site has close to the relationship we have with Lexus. KREW is bringing Lexus Enthusiasts some really up close and personal interviews on a consistent basis these last two years. It's been remarkable to watch as you know!

GuoxJason

Fan
Reactions
Yes, I am impressed that the V6 turbo is nearly a match for the competitors' V8 turbo engines, especially when you factor the weight. Yes, this saves the trouble for developing two engines, especially when 6-cylinder turbos are projected to be the future, even in the US.

That all sounds very lovely. Now, how about a new V8? :D The 5.0 L naturally-aspirated V8 engine has both power figures and fuel efficiency that can match the competitors' 6-cylinder turbos. I really hope Lexus has something truly amazing in store.

Reactions

Was any additional information provided on the exact capabilities of this "next-generation of safety technology?" Lexus has been playing it coy regarding what else this car is capable of beyond avoiding pedestrians in its lane--but the full press release specifically mentioned a co-driving assistant, which suggests to me that the new LS will have some form of semi-autonomous highway driving capability. And it better, if it truly wants to be class-leading, otherwise the Mercedes-Benz's Drive Pilot system will eat its technological lunch.

Reactions: Dan

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Was any additional information provided on the exact capabilities of this "next-generation of safety technology?" Lexus has been playing it coy regarding what else this car is capable of beyond avoiding pedestrians in its lane--but the full press release specifically mentioned a co-driving assistant, which suggests to me that the new LS will have some form of semi-autonomous highway driving capability. And it better, if it truly wants to be class-leading, otherwise the Mercedes-Benz's Drive Pilot system will eat its technological lunch.

German brands have image status no other Italian, American or Japanese brands can match. There is thus no point in owning a German autonomous vehicle.

Anyway, I am glad all this "autonomous car" is nothing else other than hype and pure fiction (for the time being). Another "bubble" to get burst in the next years.

What surprises me is that while fiction does turn to reality, people only believe "good" fiction will happen, not "bad" fiction.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Although you were right there with them, and admittedly in a better position to judge than me as a Monday-Morning quarterback, this part of their reply sounds to me like just basic corporate-speak for them having their hands tied by the upcoming CAFE rules. ;)

Corporate speak, maybe, but I don't think this has anything to do with CAFE. I think the only way to get the power/performance/efficiency is to use turbos, and Lexus needs to move away from naturally aspirated engines. Just the way of the world.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Thanks for the interview and posting, Kevin. Not every forum-head gets to interview high-ranking execs of their brand. :)

I have the same reaction but I get the new world we live in. However, CAFE or not, I am still counting on Lexus to release a V8 TT for the exclusive future LC F / LS F:p