2017 Super Bowl Lexus LC Commercial Featuring Sia & Lil Buck

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-01-23-lexus-usa-lc-superbowl.jpg

An extended 60-second version has been released in advance of the big game.
View the original article post

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
No matter how they cut this down, it's already a miss.

$100k sport coupe, Lexus is moving into completely uncharted territory, it's drop dead gorgeous, packing a practically unrivaled N/A 5.0L V8, it's the big debut for the LC, and happening during the Super Bowl.

... and they choose Sia and a half clothed male dancer to make that statement? I don't see how this resonates with prospective buyers or even fans of the brand. This would have been much more appropriate for IS/NX/UX... something very entry level. Completely ill fitting for a flagship product.

tumblr_inline_octy2eBeS91r79k32_500.gif

How did this get approved?

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Yeah, wow, that was just brutal. I can't decide what's worse, the Sriracha IS mistake or this? Probably this, as this is a Superbowl commercial. Otherwise I'm at a loss for words.

Axel

Fan
Reactions
They should have gave it all to Sia's group dancers. What is this @Lexus ? Please just stop the fashion hip hope type of adds it doesn't work, it doesn't work in harmony. He's dancing what does that got to do with the car. It like I'm watching two videos at the same time. The car is beautiful but i don't know what that guy doing there

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
To me, the ad is simple and direct: they're comparing the LC's "emotional performance" with Lil Buck's athletic performance. It's thematically very similar to the ad where the USA Soccer guy drops shots into the moonroof, which I seem to recall was pretty well received around here.

Checking Lexus USA's post of this on Twitter, the ad is already a big hit, and especially with females and African-Americans. In 3 hours it's gotten 551 likes and 192 retweets, which is a huge response.

PS: the Sriracha IS was *also* a huge hit on Twitter, with hundreds of Millenials asking Lexus to bring it to their local auto show...

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
As far as I'm concerned, try again, folks. A guy flexing his biceps and gyrating around like Madonna is not the best way in the world to sell a car. Of course, I admit I'm probably not part of the target-base for LC marketing anyway, so perhaps (?) my opinion is not very important.

Last edited:

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
They could have done a better video, it seems as if he was having seizures.

It's a specific style of hip-hop dance intended to emulate the stereotypical movements of machinery or robots. Which is why the visuals show him as being almost part of the machinery of the car.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I think it's kinda cool TBH. It will definitely attract the millennials which are probably the age group that is into good looking coupes the most. But when I watched it I honestly didn't pay as much attention to the car as I did to the choreographer. Maybe because I am a Lexus Enthusiast and I have already seen it so many times :) I would imagine the average viewer would pretty much ignore the dancer because they are taken away by the coupe's design. But I think it was pretty cool because if you're not into cars, but into dancing, then you will also have to pay attention to the car.

mordecai

Follower
Reactions
This ad played right before a Youtube video earlier today, and the second viewing changed my mind: this is actually a really good, well done commercial by Lexus. All put together, the commercial's dynamic energy, the sweeping shots of the car, even the smooth dance performance, and the human body's integration with the engine/mechanical underpinnings of the LC makes this a classic Lexus commercial.

It's so weird that I had a totally different reaction to this commercial after seeing it as an unexpected commercial versus watching the commercial posted here on Lexus Enthusiast. It was off-putting as an internet video that I watched because I had different expectations of the LC commercial -- but it totally works as a commercial that you would see on TV and on the Super Bowl. It tracks the Lexus brand's progression from the LS champagne glass commercial, to the LFA glass commercial, to this new LC commercial.

I think this will be a really successful ad for Lexus. (It's already up to 2.3 million views on Youtube)

Last edited:
Reactions
... and they choose Sia and a half clothed male dancer to make that statement? I don't see how this resonates with prospective buyers or even fans of the brand. This would have been much more appropriate for IS/NX/UX... something very entry level. Completely ill fitting for a flagship product.

How did this get approved?
Was the old Top Gear crew not available for hire? :D

James

Founding Member
Reactions
I honestly didn't think the commercial was that bad. With all the other commercials I thought it went well. I can't wait to seeing them on the roads!

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
The ad in context during the SB worked well, although it wasn't the same as was shown here earlier. The narrator more explicitly made the point they were going after, and it touted both the LS500 and LC.

Reactions: RAL

mikeavelli

Reactions
The thing to me was so many ads were making a cultural point or stand in regards to the Cheetoh's idiocracy that this seemed very out of touch with the times. The Audi ad I thought was a grand slam in comparison.

Outside of that its grown on me as it's a big shift for Lexus toward style. I wish I could move like that lol.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
The Audi ad was widely interpreted online as "women can do anything, but only if they're blonde, rich, and thin". And then Audi admitted that they have no female execs and that they pay women less than men. VAG can catch no breaks.

The Buick ad with Cam Newton played probably the best of any of the automaker ads - at the party I was at it was replayed multiple times on the DVR and everyone laughed their butts off.

mikeavelli

Reactions
The Audi ad was widely interpreted online as "women can do anything, but only if they're blonde, rich, and thin". And then Audi admitted that they have no female execs and that they pay women less than men. VAG can catch no breaks.

The Buick ad with Cam Newton played probably the best of any of the automaker ads - at the party I was at it was replayed multiple times on the DVR and everyone laughed their butts off.

Oh mahn let me google about the Audi ad. I liked the theme overall.

I agree the Buick ad was well done. Shame the cars were not better.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Interesting:

This year’s ad invites a look at Audi’s track record on promoting women to leadership roles. Audi has no women on its six-person executive team. Its supervisory board (the German equivalent to a U.S. board of directors) is only 16% women. That’s below the already-low average of 20% for female representation on corporate boards of Fortune 500 firms, and significantly lower than BMW’s30%.

In defense, Audi spokeswoman Miranda Harper says the company signed the White House Equal Pay Pledge last year, and its graduate analyst program has a minimum requirement of 50% women. Marketing director Angelo says Audi ran an internal salary analysis, and after accounting for factors like “individual performance, experience, and tenure in the job,” it determined that it now has “equal pay for equal work.” But Harper wouldn’t comment on whether Audi has made any gender-based salary adjustments over the past two years. By contrast, companies like Salesforce andExelon have been vocal about taking such steps.

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffkauflin/2017/02/06/why-audis-super-bowl-ad-failed/#3b13e8bb5355