Lexus Planning "Big Engine" Turbocharger?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-03-17-lexus-gs-f-engine-400x200.jpg

Lexus International executive vice president Mark Templin weighs in on what the future holds for Lexus turbochargers.
View the original article post

Reactions: Den

Dreski

Fan
Reactions
Hey Mark and Akio, you guys do know what real fun it right? Add an optional #proper #gearbox with 3 pedals. Don't listen to all these flappy paddle/automatic apologist. Visceral engine+suspension dynamics+manual gearbox+Lexus F = REAL FUN!

VooDooXT

Premium Member
Reactions
Hey Mark and Akio, you guys do know what real fun it right? Add an optional #proper #gearbox with 3 pedals. Don't listen to all these flappy paddle/automatic apologist. Visceral engine+suspension dynamics+manual gearbox+Lexus F = REAL FUN!
And Lighter! And F Car will be a perfect combo ;)

Axel

Fan
Reactions
Lexus clearly said they can still extract a lot of power from this RCF v8 engine without using a turbo. I for one dont see the point of attaching a turbo in a big engine like this v8 pluss this v8 is not slack on power. If the RCF can equal the lap time of the M4 weighing that much, what would have happend if it was as light as the M4? it was gonna distroy the M5,

Axel

Fan
Reactions
Turbos are for those that cant make power naturaly aspirated. why should a company that can make a v10 that revs to 9000 in 0.6sec bother putting a turbo on its master pieces. they can make that v8 rev even faster then it does now

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Turbos are for those that cant make power naturaly aspirated. why should a company that can make a v10 that revs to 9000 in 0.6sec bother putting a turbo on its master pieces. they can make that v8 rev even faster then it does now
Not true. Ferrari, Porsche and BMW M can build NA engines, yet they also go turbo. Simply because it is cheaper and makes it easy faking consumption and emission figures.

Anyway once Toyota gets back to FI, they'll own the market.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Lexus clearly said they can still extract a lot of power from this RCF v8 engine without using a turbo. I for one dont see the point of attaching a turbo in a big engine like this v8 pluss this v8 is not slack on power. If the RCF can equal the lap time of the M4 weighing that much, what would have happend if it was as light as the M4? it was gonna distroy the M5,

It's all speculation, but my feeling is that the GS F & RC F will remain N/A for this generation. If Lexus is making a V8 turbo, I would imagine it debuts with either the production LF-LC or the next-generation LS.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Something like the TMG TS650 :)

View attachment 232

I wouldn't be surprised if the twin-turbo V8 developed by TMG is the basis of whatever is eventually released.

I believe Audi and Benz are using new 4.0 V-8s with turbos producing 450-500hp+

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeavelli

Reactions
From what I've gathered, next V-6 and V-8 get boost but what I am unsure of is if the hybrids also use these engines or get a less complicated N/A version.....

Reactions: CIF
Reactions
I think forced induction on future Lexus F models is maybe less probable than we would want/expect. I think the non-F's will have turbo chargers because they are inexpensive in terms of what is gained, and is the most logical evolution of Lexus' engine line-up. But the future of performance is honestly in the electric motors and all wheel drive. Especially for the Japanese automakers who must make vehicles to the Japanese governments standards/expectations.

The NSX has the electric motors, the next-gen GT-R will likely be a hybrid set-up, and Mitsubishi is rather bonkers with their affinity for hybrid drivetrains. Please also remember than Toyota has a Le Mans Prototype. A V8+electric motors on the LC F makes the most sense under Yaguchi, as he can still retain a visceral NA V8, hooked up to the two electric motors. Paired with a Toyota twin-clutch transmission that has been being developed since before the LFA (it was suppose to go into the LFA).

All wheel drive is probably the future of most high performance cars, because putting the power to the ground is not so easy once you are above ~550HP and your car is made out of carbon fiber. [Unless your car is just heavy, a la that fatty, the RC F or SRT Hellcats.] So no, I do not expect to see forced induction in future F models, but definitely on non-F's. I don't know when to even expect an LC to be released, but I imagine not anytime soon, so that would mean even more time would have passed, and more likely to receive the electric motors.

I feel the LC will be the more attainable LFA, so I think it will have some sort of groundbreaking changes for Lexus. [i.e. dual-clutch, different powertrain, more carbon fiber.] I think it was Yaguchi who said when they design the F cars, they do not try to develop the cars to be analogs of ///M's or AMG's, and those cars have the Twin Turbos. And for those of you that still don't understand F Marque... F Marque is rather different, they just does what they want, not really caring about comparisons.

It's probably safe to say, if you want twin turbos, go get an M or AMG car. There's probably some reason that TMG TT V8 was never pushed as a performance motor in an F.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Some great thoughts and insights here. I was excited about the NX being the first to use a turbo engine but ultimately disappointed with it's portly weight, which hampers performance. I look forward to seeing this engine in the IS and GS, as I think it will be a great performer there.

Going forward, turbocharged V6s and V8s sound great to me... but as an enthusiast, it's hard to not be sad that the days of N/A engines seem to be coming to a close.