Full Details on the Lexus UX Crossover Concept

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-09-28-lexus-ux-concept-rear.jpg

The show starts at 7:30am ET/4:30am PT/12:30pm CET.
View the original article post

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Alright! Let's brace ourselves for the front end! But I have school so you guys can tell me about it after I come back so I can decide if it's worth looking at or not.

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
Alright! Let's brace ourselves for the front end! But I have school so you guys can tell me about it after I come back so I can decide if it's worth looking at or not.

It's as good as the back end (IMO) and even when it's (inevitably) toned down for production it is going to have a strong presence and impact. I love it (except for the tiny back window).

James

Founding Member
Reactions
As much as I love to see exciting models such as the RC350, GS-F, and LC500, I'm particularly interested in this reveal because this could very well be my next car.
I agree as much as I would love to go buy and LS or LC and think those cars are going to be incredible the UX is where the price range is more. I still hope for a full F of this!

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
lexus designer gone mad even just by appearing this as concept
it's cutting edge . i still can't understand some lines from it rear especially

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
"Go bold or go home!" - Lexus

If they really wanted something unique, this thing has big-car styling, but is pretty small, I'd make each side with one huge door, and call it a "crossover coupe." Really start something new.

Then, in the second year, come out with a four-door version.
BD

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
So what would be the gas engine in this? The class norm is a 200 HP turbo-four, but Toyota doesn't seem to have one, yet. The Toyota Camry is getting a redesign for next year, and will get a new turbo-four, so that may be the base for this. I would expect that to have 185--190 HP, and then get tuned up for Lexus service.
BD

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Interesting, the wheel base is only 0.8 inches shorter than the NX, but the overall length is a whole 10 inches shorter. I really love the look of this car and I feel like the first F SUV should be based on this because it will be the cheapest F car and it will get a lot of people into the brand.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Why is this called the UX Concept? I believe that this is the first time a Lexus Concept did not have and LF- in its name. I'm aware that this is a preview of a car that is already probably close to production state, but then why was the LF-NX still have the prefix when the NX was already designed at the time?

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Bold! Loving the depth in the paint - not a purple fan but I'm impressed with this color on this car. I hope some of the interior tech such as the new interface comes into production.

Glad to see the specs since we can safely say the UX will be based on the Toyota C-HR platform thanks to the identical wheelbase and very similar other dimensions. Not a bad thing at all seeing how much better the Lexus versions are over their Toyota counterparts.

Also to note, the "in-between" hatchback (54-55") and CUV (64-65") height of 59.8" and length of 173.8" is in direct competition to the GLA and QX30 which are arguably "raised" hatchbacks. As such, one can speculate the end of the CT and if one pays attention to the Lexus nomenclature of "Urban Xrossover" and the consistency in nomenclature the rest of the Lexus "X" lineup, this will be a cross-over-only model offering.

Interesting, the wheel base is only 0.8 inches shorter than the NX, but the overall length is a whole 10 inches shorter. I really love the look of this car and I feel like the first F SUV should be based on this because it will be the cheapest F car and it will get a lot of people into the brand.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
C&D said that the large front doors may signal that Lexus may build a two-door to compete with the RR Evoque lol.
The impossibly small rear doors also suggest Lexus could be whipping up both two- and four-door versions of the UX, perhaps to battle similar Evoque models. Another two-door, especially one that affords some rear headroom, would be welcome in this segment.
And they said that the UX will compete with the X1, GLA-Class, and Q3. So where do they say that the NX belongs? Has Car and Driver finally come to their senses that the NX doesn't compete with these cars and competes one class above?

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
And yes, I like it ! I'm most impressed by the front, really sexy.
And I always think that a SUV/CUV with bigger wheels (19" or more) looks better ! Vossen has a job here.

But it's this now just a concept or is this more ? What I've read on www.autokopen.nl, just translated some part:
"This concept is a real concept model. You will perhaps look back parts on future production models, but the UX as a whole is not a new model, says Guido Roozekrans Toyota Netherlands."
Well, I don't believe him, this guy speaks for Toyota, not from Lexus :D
This is for Lexus the first concept car which has only 2 letters: UX. Why didn't they use something like: LF-NC, I don't know.
I think they are much closer to a production version than we all think. And to be honest, Lexus, please don't wait too long, the competition (read: BMW X2) is also very busy...

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
The X2 is an incredibly useless concept. Same proportions as an X1 but uglier. Everyone thought that it was going to look like the X6 and X4 but smaller because it is an X-Even Number model but it is just a messed up X1.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Why is this called the UX Concept?

I believe UX stands for urban crossover...

I know some members thought it should have been called CX but Mazda has already claimed it but if you take the C in CX and turn it counter clockwise you get a U which now become the UX...