Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-09-15-lexus-rx-wards-winner.jpg

The new RX is "a calm connection to an otherwise busy world."
View the original article post

Reactions
I posted this on a chat form but haven't had much luck with a response. Can anyone help me out?

"My wife is looking to buy an RX and my vote is for the F Sport version. Other than cosmetics, what are the differences between an RX F Sport in Standard Mode vs a standard RX in Sport Mode... I appreciate a "sportier" feel (I have an IS) but she is partial to the Gray Sapele wood trim that only comes in the standard RX."

mikeavelli

Reactions
I posted this on a chat form but haven't had much luck with a response. Can anyone help me out?

"My wife is looking to buy an RX and my vote is for the F Sport version. Other than cosmetics, what are the differences between an RX F Sport in Standard Mode vs a standard RX in Sport Mode... I appreciate a "sportier" feel (I have an IS) but she is partial to the Gray Sapele wood trim that only comes in the standard RX."

Hey we just picked up a RX F-Sport, you can feel the RX is a bit sportier and firmer in ride and doesn't wallow as much as s stock RX. The suspension is different and there seems to be active sway bar in the rear. So even in standard mode the F-Sport is sportier. Mind you its no canyon carver and still on the plush side compared to a Macan/Cayenne but not as soft as say a RDX which drives like a 2004 RX.

Reactions

Do any of you have a bad back? If you do, the F-Sport will let you know right away, at the beginning of each bump. It is relatively smooth, but this accentuation at the beginning is really where it draws the line for most customers that fit in this criteria. You do not need a completely jarring scenario, this exists from the tiniest road imperfections to the large surprise potholes. The fact that the F-Sport has differently shaped seats do not help this matter at all.

The Luxury RX is still firm, while remaining slightly plush, and on most bumps dampens the shock towards the middle or end, if this makes sense. Luxury seats have more of a balanced contour especially where the rear slope and lower lumbar area intersect. Sport mode does nothing really noticeable aside from steering, throttle and brake response. Neither will outhandle their German counterparts but are well equipped to provide your sporty excursions, granted you know and stay within your limits. YMMV.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Hey we just picked up a RX F-Sport, you can feel the RX is a bit sportier and firmer in ride and doesn't wallow as much as s stock RX. The suspension is different and there seems to be active sway bar in the rear. So even in standard mode the F-Sport is sportier. Mind you its no canyon carver and still on the plush side compared to a Macan/Cayenne but not as soft as say a RDX which drives like a 2004 RX.

Adding to mikeavelli, the F Sport has AVS (Adaptive Variable Suspension) which automatically adjusts damping force to optimize ride comfort when in Eco, Normal and Sport modes. In Sport S+ mode however, the damping force firms up to provide a sportier drive in the corners such as less body roll and quicker transitions.

upload_2016-9-16_7-21-11.png

Details on its operation, taken from Lexus UK for the NX, but applies in the same manner for the RX.

Adaptive Variable Suspension

The NX 200t F Sport is available with an optional new-generation, linear
solenoid-type Adaptive Variable Suspension. Working in conjunction with
Drive Mode Select (which adds Sport+ mode), it automatically adjusts
suspension damping in all driving conditions to achieve the highest possible
straight line ride comfort and high-speed stability, with suppression of body
roll and better cornering agility.
Lexus’s breakthrough of using linear solenoid actuators in place of the
more conventional step motors more than trebles the number of control
force levels – from nine to 30. The actuator is more compact, too, so it has
been possible to relocate it from the top of the damper unit to its lower side,
creating a lower bonnet line and more load space. As a result, suspension
response time has decreased four-fold, from 80 to 20 milliseconds.

AVS operation is governed by nine control inputs:

Vehicle Speed Sensing Control gives ride comfort at low speeds and
handling stability at higher speeds
Roll Attitude Control maintains the optimum vehicle attitude during
cornering
Anti-dive Control moderates the tendency to pitch forward under braking
Rebound Control works best on rough surfaces, smoothing out bumps
Ruggedness Sensing Control decreases damping force when vibration
from uneven road surfaces is sensed
Unsprung Mass Variation Damping Control increases damping force
when components such as the wheels start to resonate on uneven surfaces
VSC Co-operative Control works with the vehicle stability control
systems to provide the best handling options when the vehicle starts to
skid, for example on a damp surface
Pre-Crash Safety System Co-operative Control provides extra damping
force for accident avoidance under heavy braking

mikeavelli

Reactions
Adding to mikeavelli, the F Sport has AVS (Adaptive Variable Suspension) which automatically adjusts damping force to optimize ride comfort when in Eco, Normal and Sport modes. In Sport S+ mode however, the damping force firms up to provide a sportier drive in the corners such as less body roll and quicker transitions.

View attachment 1884

Details on its operation, taken from Lexus UK for the NX, but applies in the same manner for the RX.

Ahh thank you!!!

Now in regards to the RX win, it is as easy as it comes to drive and everything is pretty intuitive. The interior embarrasses the Japanese brands and on par if not better than the Germans. I have to admit even with the F-Sport, its quite the serene car to drive.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Ahh thank you!!!

Now in regards to the RX win, it is as easy as it comes to drive and everything is pretty intuitive. The interior embarrasses the Japanese brands and on par if not better than the Germans. I have to admit even with the F-Sport, its quite the serene car to drive.

Agree, the interior is superb in design, ergonomics, and materials though I must admit, the XC90's interior is supremely refined.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Having reviewed a new RX350 myself, I can't really argue with the conclusion of the article, though I'm not much of a fan of console-mounted joysticks. I just wish Lexus had put as much time and attention into the NX, which, though not a bad vehicle or agricultural-like by any means, drives with noticeably less refinement than an RX, even considering the lower price.