Lexus RC F GT Concept Finishes First in Car & Driver's Annual Lightning Lap

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-09-14-lexus-rc-f-gt-concept.jpg

The race car finished just .1 seconds behind the all-time leader, the Porsche 918 Spyder.
View the original article post

Axel

Fan
Reactions
There is nothing wrong with this 5.0l v8. I hope lexus keeps it N/A add a hp or two sort out the gearbox make the car lighter sweet engine good to go

Mk4UmHa

Founding Member
Reactions
I just notice both RC F & GS F are slower than the discontinued IS F .

2:43.2 - 2016 Lexus RC F GT Concept
2:55.1 - 2012 Lexus LFA
3:05.4 - 2011 Lexus IS F
3:05.8 - 2015 Lexus RC F
3:05.9 - 2016 Lexus GS F
3:13.4 - 2014 Lexus IS350 F Sport
3:14.0 - 2008 Lexus IS F

Source : http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...results-historical-lap-times-and-more-feature

The power to weight is about the same on the ISF GSF & RCF. I just wish Lexus would quit it with the pig mod on the F cars.

RDS

Fan
Reactions
There is nothing wrong with this 5.0l v8. I hope lexus keeps it N/A add a hp or two sort out the gearbox make the car lighter sweet engine good to go

I compare the laptime of certain cars that I think belongs to the same category , and Google about their horsepower & weights to both support & disagree on your statement , and this is what I find out ,

2:56.8 - (640hp & 1875kg) 2016 Cadillac CTS-V
3:00.1 - (577hp & 2141kg) 2014 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG S-model
3:03.5 - (707hp & 2075kg) 2016 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
3:04.0 - (556hp & 1915kg) 2009 Cadillac CTS-V
3:05.2 - (560hp & 1945kg) 2013 BMW M5
3:05.9 - (467hp & 1834kg) 2016 Lexus GS F
3:06.7 - (550hp & 1987kg) 2014 Jaguar XFR-S
3:06.8 - (420hp & 1793kg) 2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport
3:06.9 - (518hp & 1841kg) 2011 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG
3:08.9 - (510hp & 1953kg) 2011 Jaguar XFR

2:59.2 - (503hp & 1780kg) 2015 Mercedes-AMG C63 S
2:59.2 - (464hp & 1725kg) 2016 Cadillac ATS-V coupe
2:59.8 - (464hp & 1729kg) 2016 Cadillac ATS-V sedan
3:00.7 - (425hp & 1601kg) 2015 BMW M4
3:04.3 - (450hp & 1835kg) 2013 Audi RS5
3:05.4 - (416hp & 1714kg) 2011 Lexus IS F
3:05.8 - (467hp & 1795kg) 2015 Lexus RC F

Source : http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...results-historical-lap-times-and-more-feature

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
If they add the estimated 500 HP engine from the GT concept and reduce its weight by AT LEAST 100 pounds for its mid-cycle refresh, the 2018 RC F will be a winner. 500 HP isn't that much more power, but getting into the 500 HP club is awesome.

RDS

Fan
Reactions
If they add the estimated 500 HP engine from the GT concept and reduce its weight by AT LEAST 100 pounds for its mid-cycle refresh, the 2018 RC F will be a winner. 500 HP isn't that much more power, but getting into the 500 HP club is awesome.

500 horsepower might not be a lot more on paper , but sometime it really is difficult to make more horsepower when you gotta meet all the regulation ; but as for weights , downforce , grips ... Lexus should improve there .

Reactions
I so000 wish Lexus would've somehow made the RC-F 300-350 lbs. lighter. It would've been an instant classic. No, lighter and a dual clutch gearbox... That would've made it perfect IMO.

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
Good to see Lexus' name up there, though the lap time of a car not bound by any production constraints is hardly worth bragging about. Strip everything out, swap on sequential racing transmission, tack on aggressive aeros and slap on racing slicks, and just about every performance car can perform at around this level if not better. It's when a car has to be made street-legal and reasonably maintainable that meaningful performance comparisons can be made.

This good headline, however, will hopefully persuade Lexus to make a Lightning Lap Edition production car out of the one-off race car, a la the M3 CSL.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
Good to see Lexus' name up there, though the lap time of a car not bound by any production constraints is hardly worth bragging about. Strip everything out, swap on sequential racing transmission, tack on aggressive aeros and slap on racing slicks, and just about every performance car can perform at around this level if not better. It's when a car has to be made street-legal and reasonably maintainable that meaningful performance comparisons can be made.

This good headline, however, will hopefully persuade Lexus to make a Lightning Lap Edition production car out of the one-off race car, a la the M3 CSL.

Why even bring up the obvious? C&D clearly made a separate article about it and pointed out clear as day its a race car. The RC F time stock is not bad at all but no one hardly brings that up.

It was a fun thing for them to do and for Lexus to supply the car to be tested and shows a really awesome gauge of how much faster a race RC F is to stock.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
When you look at the other cars under the RC F - Like the Viper ACR for example - and then realize that the 918 Spyder is the only car faster... the significance of this cannot be understated. Huge, huge victory for Lexus and hopefully they've learned a few things that will translate into road cars.

Congrats to Lexus.

Not bound by any production constraints? The RC F GT started life as a production car. It's a production platform, a production engine (I think the only differences are headers and exhaust, if I recall correctly), and the same production transmission as the RC F road car (they even complain about it not being fast enough). I see your point - its not stock - but it's essentially the exact same formula used in cars like the M3 CSL, M4 GTS, Dodge Viper ACR and others.

If you look back at the IS F CCS-R, much of what was developed in that car became the basis for the RC F and GS F. These results are very exciting as we look at the next chapter of F performance vehicles like the LC F and others. While Lexus is blurring the lines between production and the race circuit here, that's not too uncommon these days as noted above.

I'm personally most surprised that these results were achieved with such a lackluster platform to start with. The RC F has taken a lot of flack for it's structure being a combination of different platforms, and especially for being overweight. To see what Lexus achieved here with the GT Concept is really incredibly impressive when you consider the humble beginnings - yes, as a production car.

mikeavelli

Reactions
When you look at the other cars under the RC F - Like the Viper ACR for example - and then realize that the 918 Spyder is the only car faster... the significance of this cannot be understated. Huge, huge victory for Lexus and hopefully they've learned a few things that will translate into road cars.

Congrats to Lexus.

Not bound by any production constraints? The RC F GT started life as a production car. It's a production platform, a production engine (I think the only differences are headers and exhaust, if I recall correctly), and the same production transmission as the RC F road car (they even complain about it not being fast enough). I see your point - its not stock - but it's essentially the exact same formula used in cars like the M3 CSL, M4 GTS, Dodge Viper ACR and others.

If you look back at the IS F CCS-R, much of what was developed in that car became the basis for the RC F and GS F. These results are very exciting as we look at the next chapter of F performance vehicles like the LC F and others. While Lexus is blurring the lines between production and the race circuit here, that's not too uncommon these days as noted above.

I'm personally most surprised that these results were achieved with such a lackluster platform to start with. The RC F has taken a lot of flack for it's structure being a combination of different platforms, and especially for being overweight. To see what Lexus achieved here with the GT Concept is really incredibly impressive when you consider the humble beginnings - yes, as a production car.

Bingo....its a great data point, its awesome to see and its not like Lexus is boasting it has the second fastest lap. How anyone can complain about its inclusion is beyond me. Lets appreciate C&D taking the time to do this and Lexus and all these car brands letting them loose on the track.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Yeah definitely I would like to see a Lightning Lap Edition or some special edition of the RC F based on the GT Concept that has all the same aero, same engine and same carbon fiber bodywork and lightweight windows. But of course interior should look similar to the stock RC F except for the roll cage and maybe recaro seats with a little special contrast stitching or something to differentiate it a bit more. That would be an awesome competitor to the M4 GTS and will definitely beat all its times including the Nurburgring. Slicks should also be replaced with some sticky tires because they aren't street-legal in most places. Lexus shouldn't even worry too much of the cost because it will be limited-edition selling for lots of money.

RDS

Fan
Reactions
The RC F time stock is not bad at all but no one hardly brings that up.

"not bad" in what sense of way ?

2:59.2 - (503hp & 1780kg) 2015 Mercedes-AMG C63 S
2:59.2 - (464hp & 1725kg) 2016 Cadillac ATS-V coupe
2:59.8 - (464hp & 1729kg) 2016 Cadillac ATS-V sedan
3:00.7 - (425hp & 1601kg) 2015 BMW M4
3:04.3 - (450hp & 1835kg) 2013 Audi RS5
3:05.4 - (416hp & 1714kg) 2011 Lexus IS F
3:05.8 - (467hp & 1795kg) 2015 Lexus RC F

RDS

Fan
Reactions
The RC F GT started life as a production car. It's a production platform, a production engine (I think the only differences are headers and exhaust, if I recall correctly), and the same production transmission as the RC F road car (they even complain about it not being fast enough). I see your point - its not stock - but it's essentially the exact same formula used in cars like the M3 CSL, M4 GTS, Dodge Viper ACR and others.

The different between RC F GT & M4 GTS or even Viper ACR is that , the RC F doesn't have to meet any road legal regulation in term of intakes , exhaust , suspension , brakes , and even the tires ... yes , no doubt cars like 911 GT3 RS is seriously hardcore , but at least they still has tires that has tread , and suspension that (sort of) can be use on street .

Oh , and RC F GT probably has no sound insulation left , while cars like M4 GTS still has some carpet .

$250,000 estimated price (for a one-off prototype)
500 estimated horsepower (could be more or less)
3,327 lbs or 1,509 kg (3,958 lbs or 1795kg for stock , hence 631 lb or 286 kg lighter)

Also don't forget even Car & Drivers has these quotes ,
- carbon-fiber bodywork
- polycarbonate windows
- bare interior, just metal painted black
- full roll cage
- instead of a center console, there’s a carbon-fiber switch plate with aircraft-style toggles and a bank of push fuses
- Yokohama racing slicks
- roaring loud enough inside to make your ears bleed
... just to reminds you , the RC F GT is more like M4 GT4 or actual GT3 race cars .

RDS

Fan
Reactions
2016-Lexus-RC-F-GT-concept-217.jpg

I'm wondering , if Lexus make a RC F GT with half-cage (like M4 GTS) , some interior (2-seats , and seats like LFA) , actual glass windows , road legal tires , and regulated engine modification ... would someone buy it ?

Reactions: Den