Lexus Subcompact Crossover Concept to Debut at Paris Auto Show

zema

Fan
Reactions
Lexus UX concept revealed ahead of Paris motor show

lexus-concept.jpg

lexus-zoom.jpg

Source: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/m...us-ux-concept-revealed-ahead-paris-motor-show

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
i hope it's just a concept
even i know 100% that the production version is around the corner

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Looks great to me. I do have to say I love the new F Type SUV from Jag...Lexus please this is a brand new model can we get a full F SUV?!? Please! Looks good!

Jay

Reactions
Looks awesome! Would this replace the CT?? What models would this compete against... Q3 and X1?? The NX to me is quite small already...didn't think Lexus need an subcompact SUV. Would be interesting to see the pricing for this and not overlap too much with the NX.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I think Lexus needs to be in this subcompact lux space. The US market will grow soon enough and Lexus can get a jump on it (rather than reacting late, like no growth Caddy for example), not to mention Europe and other ROW markets that already have demand.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Would this replace the CT?? What models would this compete against... Q3 and X1?? The NX to me is quite small already...didn't think Lexus need an subcompact SUV. Would be interesting to see the pricing for this and not overlap too much with the NX.

Replacing the CT seems to be the idea, though there was also a rumor that the UX would exist beside the CT as well. Too early to tell, really.

And yeah, this thing is going to be SMALL.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I think Lexus needs to be in this subcompact lux space. The US market will grow soon enough and Lexus can get a jump on it (rather than reacting late, like no growth Caddy for example), not to mention Europe and other ROW markets that already have demand.

It's true that Caddy doesn't have a subcompact Ute in the American market. But then, no other premium-nameplate company currently does, either......most sources I've seen consider even the Mercedes GLA to be a compact, not subcompact. And Cadillac, making up for lost time, has also been burning a lot of midnight-oil in the Ute-design department lately, having recently introduced the mid-sized XT5, and with larger XT7 and smaller XT3 models on the way.

My personal opinion (though not necessarily fact) is that, if premium-nemeplate sub-compact Utes ARE coming to the U.S., Acura will probably be the first one to do so, with their CDX. The CDX is already set to go in China, though it might (?) take some updating and re-engineering to bring it up to American safety/emission standards.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
It's true that Caddy doesn't have a subcompact Ute in the American market. But then, no other premium-nameplate company currently does, either......most sources I've seen consider even the Mercedes GLA to be a compact, not subcompact. And Cadillac, making up for lost time, has also been burning a lot of midnight-oil in the Ute-design department lately, having recently introduced the mid-sized XT5, and with larger XT7 and smaller XT3 models on the way.

My personal opinion (though not necessarily fact) is that, if premium-nemeplate sub-compact Utes ARE coming to the U.S., Acura will probably be the first one to do so, with their CDX. The CDX is already set to go in China, though it might (?) take some updating and re-engineering to bring it up to American safety/emission standards.

I wasn't making petty subjective classification distinctions when I mentioned Cadillac. Cadillac has already admitted it's already behind on even compact crossover SUV's (like NX-sized), not sure how anybody not working for GM knows they are burning midnight oil, lol. That's why I mentioned them as an example of late to the game and experiencing no growth even when the market was booming.

Not worth splitting hairs on GLA, because Mercedes already has a successful compact SUV derived from the successful C-class.

Not that Cadillac or Acura are even tier 1 premium brands anyways. My point is simply Lexus is getting on it sooner, rather than later (like BEFORE some other brands).

Last edited:

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I think I know why there's all this confusion about segments came from. The NX and RX are both tweeners. The NX is too big to compete with the X1, GLA, Q3, etc. but too small to compete with the X3, GLC, Q5, etc. RX is bigger than the X3, GLC, Q5, etc. but not enough to compete with the X5, GLE, etc.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
I think I know why there's all this confusion about segments came from. The NX and RX are both tweeners. The NX is too big to compete with the X1, GLA, Q3, etc. but too small to compete with the X3, GLC, Q5, etc. RX is bigger than the X3, GLC, Q5, etc. but not enough to compete with the X5, GLE, etc.
The RX will be plenty long when the RXL comes out.