Lexus to Add Smartphone-Powered Navigation System to Select 2017 Models

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-09-08-lexus-rx-display-audio.jpg

The new system will be powered by the Scout GPS Link app.
View the original article post

Reactions: Den

Dreski

Fan
Reactions
Smh... They keep saying "Priva-see issues. We want to protect you from hackers, spam, malware, 3rd party, Apple and Google". This is the standard op from Toyota/Lexus when you ask them. Give me CarPlay instead of these rubbish patch work.

Reactions
Just viewed the entire Scout GPS Link video. What an exciting, technologically advanced system! It's difficult to think of any other in car navi system that eclipses this hot piece of newness. :joy:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
To say the truth I dislike all OEM Infotainment systems, so as CarPlay and Android Auto. They all s*ck. Way too many useless things.

Reactions
I don't understand why this is so difficult? CarPlay/Android Auto make the most sense, but if not those... why not make the Lexus screen capable of mirroring a user's cell phone screen and add Lexus input functionality to select icons/type/play/pause etc? Bonus: the cell phone and Lexus input system could govern the cell phone (and by default the mirrored screen) which would increase ease of use and might be fun for everyone in the car (particularly for someone in the back seat who gets a shot at controlling the music playlist, finding a restaurant, using Apple/Google maps that will never be outdated, etc). OK - we need a code to prohibit playing movies unless the car is stopped but you get the picture. I bought Apple TV years ago for under $100 and can turn any screen in my house (including a dinosaur TV) into something great by mirroring my iPhone/iPad. We already have the technology, why not use it and skip apps like the Scout GPS link (which seems to have been developed before the turn of the century).

Ruksac

Follower
Reactions
Here is what's needed, plain and simple. The ability to copy an address from your phone and paste it into your car's nav system. Copy from either a text message, website, facebook post, etc. and plug it into the screen.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
This will make the case for the pricey optional Navigation package more difficult unless one really wants the RTI and larger screen.

But Lexus USA only? Canada gets the shaft again (no Enform too).

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Man, just put Amdroid Auto/CarPlay! 2017 Benz models are getting it, Audi, Everyone! Heck, even the $10K CAD Chevy Spark gets it STANDARD. It's so much easier. I think they don't want to do it because it's best to be used with stouchscreen and we all know Lexus will never give up on it's RTI.We're stuck with having to install Pioneer Android Auto systems which are time-consuming, expensive and hard since the newer model have the screen integrated in the dashboard curve. Apple users are lucky since they can use the Beat-Sonic thing. I really hope they're also working on an Android Auto version. I know that Android UI Design is my personal (and most of the world's) favourite design too.

Dreski

Fan
Reactions
They finally ended their holdout. The amount of complain was probably a headache to deal with and they just gave up. BMW finally announced they will offer Apple's CarPlay in their line up as an option upgrade. Really hoping Lexus and Toyota caves. I want my Tacoma TRD Pro to have Apple's CarPlay and the next CT. Those are the next two additions to the driveway.

Last edited:

nabbun

Premium Member
Reactions
Honestly, if ToMoCo can't get over their control issues, I'm going to have to move on to a different brand. My family and I have been loyal customers since the ES250 and LS400. Basically, the beginning of the brand's existence. To fail to keep up with the times is embarrassing. The majority of the market uses either Android or Apple smartphones. They are like an extension of our bodies now. Kind of like cars is a natural mode of transportation. You don't think much about it because it's so integrated into our daily lives. It's really starting to piss me off. I love Lexus but, they are really starting to disappoint me on the technology front. I mean come on. The same basic power train for the Rx450h for the 3rd time on a row? Let's step it up a notch Lexus.

nabbun

Premium Member
Reactions
I do like the direction that the brand is moving towards, though. Sport and fierce design. Just the technology front needs some attention.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Yeah, that's why the technology is frustrating. Much like how the cellphone carriers had to be beaten down into admitting that they're just data pipes with fancy branding, the carmakers need to give up on their dreams of owning infotainment and let Apple and Google handle it.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Yeah, that's why the technology is frustrating. Much like how the cellphone carriers had to be beaten down into admitting that they're just data pipes with fancy branding, the carmakers need to give up on their dreams of owning infotainment and let Apple and Google handle it.

I don't want Google and Apple spyware in my car.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I don't want Google and Apple spyware in my car.

Apple generally doesn't spy (indeed, they're borderline obsessive about user privacy, even when Obama's asking them to do otherwise), and we have a pretty good idea regarding what info about you Google collects to show you ads. Users of Android and Gmail and so on are generally OK with that tradeoff in exchange for how much cheaper those products and services are. We don't have that kind of familiarity with what's going on inside the various infotainment systems from the automakers, so I'd just as soon let an iPhone or Android handset handle that stuff.

Reactions
Smh... They keep saying "Priva-see issues. We want to protect you from hackers, spam, malware, 3rd party, Apple and Google". This is the standard op from Toyota/Lexus when you ask them. Give me CarPlay instead of these rubbish patch work.
I agree. I've driven Lexus since 1999 but when my lease is up so is my relationship with Lexus if they can't get CarPlay or AutoPlay. I don't want "Scout" - some lame app with ads! Lexus, quit trying to patch together some lame alternative.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
IMO interior car design is ruined by in car screens. I nearly prefer cars with with add-on style screens, as I can imagine deleting/dismounting them, rather integrated screens. Current Audi TT interior is one of the best IMO.