Lexus LC 500 Gets Performance Boost Ahead of 2017 Release

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-08-19-lexus-lc-500-engine-boost.jpg

The 5.0L engine now has 471 horsepower & 398lb-ft of torque.
View the original article post

Reactions
471 bhp is exactly the same as the European RC-F and GS-F horsepower ratings (477 metric horsepower) I never understood where the difference comes from. Maybe octane 91 vs 95 which is standard in Europe. Then the European spec LC500 will pass 480 hp. Torque is a slight improvement compared to the European spec, so this announcement will likely be an actual improvement and not just posting the European specs.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
+4hp and +9lb-ft of torque isn't too bad. Nice to see Lexus continuing to refine this powertrain in new applications!
Any chance 4 horsepower can lower the 0-60 times...? Glad they improve it tho I like the Pursuit of Perfection.

Reactions
Considering that this thing weighs 4,000+ lbs, I highly doubt it.
Where did you find that the weight will be 4000+ lbs? I have been unable to find any weight indications, which I found rather annoying since all those claims of using lightweight materials is still not supported by any official spec.

Reactions
Where did you find that the weight will be 4000+ lbs? I have been unable to find any weight indications, which I found rather annoying since all those claims of using lightweight materials is still not supported by any official spec.
I am still hoping that the weight will come closer to the LFA rather than the slight disappointing weight of the RC-F

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
I remember seeing the ~ 4000 lb weight too. Also factor in the claimed 4.5s 0-60 (saw that somewhere too), the weight makes sense.

Reactions
Ok well thanks for the heads up. I expected it to become lighter than the overweight RC-F. Guess I'm going to be disappointed again. Nothing they have produced so far comes close to the LFA. Which is a shame, they should do more with that investment in technology and knowledge.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
In a Kaizen Factor piece I wrote back in February on Lexus LC 500 thoughts and questions ( http://kaizen-factor.com/lexus-lc-500-thoughts-and-questions/ ), one of the sections addresses the curb weight question. Here's what I wrote:

Curb weight is conspicuously missing from the initial LC 500 specifications released by Lexus, but there are a number of…um…numbers being bandied about. The most optimistic ones come via Andrew English, one of the few super-privileged journalists given access to all manner of pre-production LC mules and evaluation prototypes over the past year or so. His account for the United Kingdom’s Telegraph cites an 1800 kg curb weight, which in his separate Autoblog story becomes 3968 lbs, just 10 lbs heavier than a base, Torsen LSD-equipped RC F.

From there, the numbers rise past the 2-ton mark, with The Detroit Bureau‘s Paul Eisenstein stating that “the target is around 4100 pounds, though it may actually come in ‘closer to 4200’”. Automotive News‘ David Undercoffler says that “the automaker is aiming for 4200 pounds”, while Motor Trend‘s Ron Kiino cites the manufacturer as the source for a 4300 lb curb weight.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
I am still hoping that the weight will come closer to the LFA rather than the slight disappointing weight of the RC-F

LFA has been weighed anywhere between 3300 lbs to 3500 lbs based on the equipment level and markets with different safety regulations. LC500 would not get anywhere close to that.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
471 bhp is exactly the same as the European RC-F and GS-F horsepower ratings (477 metric horsepower) I never understood where the difference comes from. Maybe octane 91 vs 95 which is standard in Europe. Then the European spec LC500 will pass 480 hp. Torque is a slight improvement compared to the European spec, so this announcement will likely be an actual improvement and not just posting the European specs.

I have read this misconception many times. Europe does not get better Octane fuel. Octane rating is measured differently in Europe. For example, Octane 100 in Europe, is equivalent to Octane 95 in Canada or US. Europe uses RON Octane rating system while the US/Canada markets use an average of RON and MON rating systems (RON + MON/2).

Here is a conversion table to see a direct comparison

http://www.pencilgeek.org/2009/05/octane-rating-conversions.html

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Maybe it already had that little bit of extra horsepower and torque, well within normal production variances.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Folks, why all the surprise and disappointment about weight and implied performance? The LC 500 was built to compete in the luxury GT-class against the likes of the Maserati GT, S-Class Coupe, and BMW 6-series all of which are in the 4000+ lb range yet with lower base engine power output figures. And let's not forget the rumored twin-Turbo V8 600 hp LC F coming... :p

mikeavelli

Reactions
Folks, why all the surprise and disappointment about weight and implied performance? The LC 500 was built to compete in the luxury GT-class against the likes of the Maserati GT, S-Class Coupe, and BMW 6-series all of which are in the 4000+ lb range yet with lower base engine power output figures. And let's not forget the rumored twin-Turbo V8 600 hp LC F coming... :p

This is true, very true. On the other hand the old Lexus would have aimed to make the lightest car with the best MPG and comparable power at a lower price. Imagine a LC significantly lighter than the competition which always helps with handling in addition to better MPG....While there has been tremendous focus on design, a new state of the art engine would really have been killer.

BMW 650 (note they offer a 640, M and Gran coupe)
Starts at 89k
445hp
480lbs of torque
0-60 in 4.5
17/25 MPG
193/75/54
4260lbs

Lexus LC 500 (LC 500h and LC F coming)
Starts at (rumors are 90k to start)
471hp
398lbs torque
0-60 in under 4.5 (as stated by Lexus)
16/24 MPG (estimate based off GS F)
187/76/53 (I just noted it has a very long 113" wheelbase for this length of car)

Maserati GT (Multiple versions as well)
Starts at 133k
454hp
384lbs torque
0-60 in 4.7
N/A
194/75/53
4350lbs

Mercedes S-Class Coupe(550/S63/S65)
Starts at 122k
449hp
519lbs torque
0-60 in 4.5
16/24 MPG
198/56/76
4,707 lbs

Porsche 911 (infinite versions lol)
Starts at 93k with PDK (89k with manual)
370hp
331lbs torque
0-60 in 4.0 to 4.3 depending on spec
22/30 MPG
177/71/51
3,150 lbs

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
(I just noted the Lexus LC has a very long 113" wheelbase for this length of car)
This is hardly surprising and to be expected given the Lexus LC's front-mid-engine placement (all of the V6 on the hybrid and most of the V8 sit behind the front axle line, thus pushing the front wheels forward and lengthening the wheelbase). Among the competitors cited above, only the Maserati GT shares this trait.

mikeavelli

Reactions
This is hardly surprising and to be expected given the Lexus LC's front-mid-engine placement (all of the V6 on the hybrid and most of the V8 sit behind the front axle line, thus pushing the front wheels forward and lengthening the wheelbase). Among the competitors cited above, only the Maserati GT shares this trait.

Yeah its nice to see it, Lexus mentioned how short the overhangs were in one of their press releases. I still have yet to see it in the flesh :(

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Yeah its nice to see it, Lexus mentioned how short the overhangs were in one of their press releases. I still have yet to see it in the flesh :(
Same here :( Hopefully, we'll get a chance at the Miami Auto Show in 2 weeks, although I haven't heard whether or not it'll even be there... :pray: