Photos: The Lexus LC 500 in Palm Springs

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-08-17-lexus-lc-500-larry-chen-speedhunters-1.jpg

Speedhunters has a pure dose of the LC 500, this is some amazing stuff.
View the original article post

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Looks so good. Already trying to figure out what I need to save every pay check for this! Thank you Lexus! You needed this car so badly!

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
This car looks downright exotic, and like it could cost almost double what it will. I absolutely love the LC... already one of my all time favorite Lexus models.

Reactions
It's undoubtedly beautiful, BUT...is the RC F its worst enemy? The more I see of the LC the more I fear that it's not differentiated enough from other Lexus models to lure buyers away from Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, and BMW. Sure the looks are otherworldly, but there are no new or innovative technologies being introduced outside of the transmission, which few buyers are going to get excited about. It's the same switchgear, same display...same color palette! There could at least be a dedicated concierge service for LC buyers, or more in-depth personalization options, something to make buying this car about more than owning the nicest Lexus.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I kinda think the combination of owning the nicest Lexus and that sexy, sexy styling will sell these just fine. I would like better personalization for the LS/LC/LX though.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
It's undoubtedly beautiful, BUT...is the RC F its worst enemy? The more I see of the LC the more I fear that it's not differentiated enough from other Lexus models to lure buyers away from Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, and BMW. Sure the looks are otherworldly, but there are no new or innovative technologies being introduced outside of the transmission, which few buyers are going to get excited about. It's the same switchgear, same display...same color palette! There could at least be a dedicated concierge service for LC buyers, or more in-depth personalization options, something to make buying this car about more than owning the nicest Lexus.

I don't quite understand? LC is an entirely new platform and vehicle - the only thing it really shares with the RC F is the V8. The interiors between the RC F and LC 500 are nothing alike and several classes apart. Exterior design is on another level, as ride and handling will be.

We are still waiting for a final LC press release with pricing, colors, finishes, option packages, features and more. There is definitely more to come.

However, I don't understand your points behind a dedicated concierge service?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
When are we getting a price and options?!?

We still have quite a wait ahead of us, considering the LC won't be reaching dealerships until April 2017. Pricing in December?

I would like better personalization for the LS/LC/LX though.

Personalization is the future of luxury, and the faster Lexus accepts it, the better. I'm sure Japan will get an L-Select option for the LC, but it needs to be available in North America as well.

Reactions
I don't quite understand? LC is an entirely new platform and vehicle - the only thing it really shares with the RC F is the V8. The interiors between the RC F and LC 500 are nothing alike and several classes apart. Exterior design is on another level, as ride and handling will be.

We are still waiting for a final LC press release with pricing, colors, finishes, option packages, features and more. There is definitely more to come.

However, I don't understand your points behind a dedicated concierge service?

I'm playing devil's advocate here. This is a critical car for boosting Lexus' presence in the upper echelons of luxury vehicles, so it should be subjected to intense scrutiny.

As for the concierge service, Lexus used to offer LS buyers a dedicated contact similar to what Mercedes-Benz does with S-class owners, where the driver can call someone to make dinner reservations, buy movie tickets, book travel, schedule service, or whatever they may need. As the de facto LS coupe, the LC should offer something comparable to create an above-and-beyond customer service experience in line with everything else Lexus does.

Without driving the LC I can't speak to whether its ride and handling will truly be 'several classes' apart from the RC F. I can tell you with certainty that the colors and options packages will essentially mirror those of the RC F. Will the standard materials and interior of the LC be nicer? Absolutely. But even the RC F offers Alcantara and real leather, so no new ground is being broken. Also, that accursed touchpad...why saddle the most beautiful Lexus with the worst user interface in the lineup?

mikeavelli

Reactions
We have worked with Larry Chen and I've met him a few times, great guy. His camera work is fantastic as his write-ups.

The LC looks amazing here, I agree with Mike that is looks exotic. I can only imagine it modified, it will surely be a complete stunner!!

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
As for the concierge service, Lexus used to offer LS buyers a dedicated contact similar to what Mercedes-Benz does with S-class owners, where the driver can call someone to make dinner reservations, buy movie tickets, book travel, schedule service, or whatever they may need. As the de facto LS coupe, the LC should offer something comparable to create an above-and-beyond customer service experience in line with everything else Lexus does.

I see the greater point, but I don't know if I'd be looking to run my life through a service provided by an automaker. This also reminds me of how Mickey Anderson, the principal of Lexus of Omaha, described how the Lexus Plus negotiation-free program dealt with owner loyalty:

"What if I told you we had this amazing experience, but you were only able to get it after buying five cars? We would go out of business."

Same thing applies -- I think Lexus should be striving to create an experience that provides an LC/LS experience to every one of their customers, rather than singling out some people as "special". Doesn't sit right with me.

Also, that accursed touchpad...why saddle the most beautiful Lexus with the worst user interface in the lineup?

The LC will debut an all-new infotainment system -- hopefully, it interacts better with the touchpad/Remote Touch than what exists right now.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I see the greater point, but I don't know if I'd be looking to run my life through a service provided by an automaker. This also reminds me of how Mickey Anderson, the principal of Lexus of Omaha, described how the Lexus Plus negotiation-free program dealt with owner loyalty:

"What if I told you we had this amazing experience, but you were only able to get it after buying five cars? We would go out of business."

Same thing applies -- I think Lexus should be striving to create an experience that provides an LC/LS experience to every one of their customers, rather than singling out some people as "special". Doesn't sit right with me.

Regarding the concierge service: first off, I'd find that to be kinda creepy, and secondly, it's another example of Mercedes lagging on cultural and stylistic trends. It's 2016, and all of those functions (and several more) are performed just fine by iPhones and Androids. It's not a luxury experience if tens of millions of people have it in their pocket every day. And you don't have to worry that your phone is judging you for wanting to see the new Jason Statham flick.

As far as exclusive stuff for LS/LC/LX owners, I'd also like that to be about the vehicle itself. More customization, like an option to have it delivered riding on Vossens. It may be considered sporting at Mercedes dealers for S-Class customers to shield their childrens' eyes from the terrifying sight of E-Class customers, but I like to think of Lexus as an awesome club that you join by simply driving and enjoying any Lexus.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Regarding the concierge service: first off, I'd find that to be kinda creepy, and secondly, it's another example of Mercedes lagging on cultural and stylistic trends. It's 2016, and all of those functions (and several more) are performed just fine by iPhones and Androids. It's not a luxury experience if tens of millions of people have it in their pocket every day. And you don't have to worry that your phone is judging you for wanting to see the new Jason Statham flick.

As far as exclusive stuff for LS/LC/LX owners, I'd also like that to be about the vehicle itself. More customization, like an option to have it delivered riding on Vossens. It may be considered sporting at Mercedes dealers for S-Class customers to shield their childrens' eyes from the terrifying sight of E-Class customers, but I like to think of Lexus as an awesome club that you join by simply driving and enjoying any Lexus.

Good points and lots of opportunity here.

Reactions

The LC will debut an all-new infotainment system -- hopefully, it interacts better with the touchpad/Remote Touch than what exists right now.

Great point about the Lexus ownership experience, but Lexus of Japan already differentiates the treatment of LS owners from guests who have other models, so there is a precedent. They get an exclusive lounge at the dealership, as well as personalized service while there. Is it fair? Perhaps not. But buyers from the upper tiers of luxury brands like Mercedes and Porsche will expect that sort of customer service stratification, where money equals status equals different and better perks. I also see the typical LC buyer as likely owning an LS or other Lexus model, in which case I would certainly want some sort of recognition of the fact that I represented one of Lexus' pinnacle guests.

As for not wanting to run your life through a service provided by an automaker, isn't that why we're all clamoring for Lexus to embrace CarPlay and Android Auto? To another member's point, our phones are capable of providing concierge-like services without the need for a subscription. But that's so terribly impersonal, and a lot of wealthy people (age notwithstanding) would prefer and might even pay to interact with a real person instead of a virtual assistant.

To reiterate...I love Lexus. That's why I'm here. And I do think Lexus creates the very best guest experience in the automotive industry, and their cars are quickly catching up with that sparkling reputation. It will be interesting to see how Lexus innovates to occupy this new space for the brand (outside of the LF-A of course), where ultra-luxury buyers expect and demand it all.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Great point about the Lexus ownership experience, but Lexus of Japan already differentiates the treatment of LS owners from guests who have other models, so there is a precedent.

Krew can correct me, but I think that was a trial by one dealer, not official Lexus Japan policy.

To another member's point, our phones are capable of providing concierge-like services without the need for a subscription. But that's so terribly impersonal, and a lot of wealthy people (age notwithstanding) would prefer and might even pay to interact with a real person instead of a virtual assistant.

I think age is likely the linchpin here. I'm in my low 40s and I consider that sort of concierge service to be passé bordering on embarrassing. I'd rather see automakers invent new forms of luxury, which these days is largely in the form of tech. The blind spot monitor is a good example of such a thing that already exists. It's simple, but it really improves your driving experience. Ditto the late lamented LS auto-parallel-park feature, and Tesla's (in)famous self-driving setup.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Great point about the Lexus ownership experience, but Lexus of Japan already differentiates the treatment of LS owners from guests who have other models, so there is a precedent. They get an exclusive lounge at the dealership, as well as personalized service while there. Is it fair? Perhaps not. But buyers from the upper tiers of luxury brands like Mercedes and Porsche will expect that sort of customer service stratification, where money equals status equals different and better perks. I also see the typical LC buyer as likely owning an LS or other Lexus model, in which case I would certainly want some sort of recognition of the fact that I represented one of Lexus' pinnacle guests.

As for not wanting to run your life through a service provided by an automaker, isn't that why we're all clamoring for Lexus to embrace CarPlay and Android Auto? To another member's point, our phones are capable of providing concierge-like services without the need for a subscription. But that's so terribly impersonal, and a lot of wealthy people (age notwithstanding) would prefer and might even pay to interact with a real person instead of a virtual assistant.

To reiterate...I love Lexus. That's why I'm here. And I do think Lexus creates the very best guest experience in the automotive industry, and their cars are quickly catching up with that sparkling reputation. It will be interesting to see how Lexus innovates to occupy this new space for the brand (outside of the LF-A of course), where ultra-luxury buyers expect and demand it all.

Very good points. I hope to visit this dealership next year in Chiba!
Krew can correct me, but I think that was a trial by one dealer, not official Lexus Japan policy.

I think age is likely the linchpin here. I'm in my low 40s and I consider that sort of concierge service to be passé bordering on embarrassing. I'd rather see automakers invent new forms of luxury, which these days is largely in the form of tech. The blind spot monitor is a good example of such a thing that already exists. It's simple, but it really improves your driving experience. Ditto the late lamented LS auto-parallel-park feature, and Tesla's (in)famous self-driving setup.

It is a matter of taste which can change fast and drive companies wild to see consumers shift. Personally yes in the past I wanted to be noticed and expected certain things at the dealership. This last weekend, we literally parked to the side, chose a black car, did the deal separately from everyone and drove the car off away from everyone. What mattered most was the service and my wife being taken care off and of course a good deal. That said I never negotiate or hassle to badly since I want them to eat too.

And with working with other brands/dealers to be honest they are all pretty similar with it being the specific dealership offering the specific service that might be heads and shoulders above everything else.

Some dealerships have stepped it up, I think one of the best services I've seen Lexus, Porsche, etc offer are the picking up of cars for service and dropping them back off. That way you don't have to drive to get things done or need a loaner car. To me that saves a person very valuable time.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I totally hear you on the low-key sales experience. Last time I made an appointment with my sales guy, he had several cars ready to show me, we did some haggling, and I was out the door in less than 2 hours total.

And dropping off the loaner where you are is a service that should absolutely be standard.