Lexus July 2016 Sales Report

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew

Lexus SUVs had their best-ever July for sales in the USA, but overall the brand is down 6.5%.
View the original article post

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Love the success of the SUVs but I wish the RX would get over 9k. Car sales ouch...

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Love the success of the SUVs but I wish the RX would get over 9k. Car sales ouch...

It's heading to hit 100K units for the year with a successful the December to Remember sales month.

C.Guenther

Founding Member
Reactions
I am not wondering that the cars sales drop down: The engines offering is to small, the CT is an "old" car, the IS not as good as BMW 3 or Mercedes C-class and the GS has no station wagon like Mercedes T oder the Touring from BMW. And the space ergonomics of the GS sedan is really poor, only a driver than a family car. The best offering is the ES - and that’s the best selling car!

Reactions
It's worth noting that the two-year old NX is having a greater increase in sales than the new RX. Is some cannibalizing going on?

Reactions
http://www.autonews.com/article/201...a-sales-declines-slow-as-trucks-pick-up-slack
DALLAS — Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. reported July sales of 214,233 units, a 1.4 percent decline, as record sales of light trucks failed to offset the fall in car deliveries at both the Toyota and Lexus divisions.

Last month’s numbers represented an improvement over June’s 5.6 percent sales drop and a 9.6 percent drop in May.

The Toyota division sold 186,343 vehicles, down 0.5 percent. Toyota-badged vehicles fell 2 percent. The Scion brand -- which is being phased out and merged into the Toyota brand lineup for the 2017 model year -- rose 66 percent on the strength of its iA and iM models launched last summer.

The Lexus luxury division sold 27,890 units, down 6.5 percent.

Toyota said this was its best July ever for light-truck sales, and followed supply constraints that dragged down sales for some of its hot-selling SUVs and trucks in recent months.

“Light trucks remained the hottest segment for the industry in July,” said Bill Fay, group vice president and general manager at the Toyota division, in a statement. He noted record July results for the Highlander and RAV4 crossovers.

In the car category, sales of the Corolla compact rose 4.9 percent to 31,717 units, while the perennially best-selling Camry midsize sedan saw deliveries slump 11 percent to 34,122. The Prius hybrid line fell 29 percent.

Lexus also scored with trucks, while every car model, except the bread-and-butter ES -- with a scant 1 percent increase -- saw lower July sales.

“Lexus luxury utility vehicles had another strong sales month, with RX, NX and LX up,” Jeff Bracken, Lexus division group vice president and general manager, said in a statement. “With these results, we had our best-ever July for light trucks and are up nearly 10 percent for the year.”

Lexus’ volume leader, the RX crossover, gained 3.1 percent to 8,522 units.

For the year, group sales were down 2.5 percent at 1,412,033. Car sales are off 9.4 percent, while truck sales are up 5 percent, mirroring market trends toward crossovers, sport-utility vehicles and trucks amid relatively low gasoline prices.

Axel

Fan
Reactions
I am not wondering that the cars sales drop down: The engines offering is to small, the CT is an "old" car, the IS not as good as BMW 3 or Mercedes C-class and the GS has no station wagon like Mercedes T oder the Touring from BMW. And the space ergonomics of the GS sedan is really poor, only a driver than a family car. The best offering is the ES - and that’s the best selling car!
Lol how is the IS not ss good as the 3 series and c - class? Last time I checked both IS and GS out performed their competitors

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
RWD Sedan / Coupe line-up which is mainly the core Luxury line-up miserably need a complete rework

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Once again, it's obvious where the bread-and-butter sales are (RX sand ES). .......although Mike and Mr. Pontiac may have a point about the NX cannibalizing some lower-line RX sales. Still, I've driven both of them, and IMO, unless a low price is a really important issue, the RX, especially lower-line versions, is well-worth the extra $$$ over the NX.

The RX, even with some NX cannibalization, looks like it may be on track for a 100K sales-figure this year....with five more months to go. That's remarkable for a vehicle in that price range (I've seen loaded high-end and F-Sport versions list for over 60K)...and for a vehicle that is not normally sold out in large fleet or rental sales, either.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
The market has completely shifted to SUVs. You don't even need a good SUV to sell, they don't even need to offer space or anything, people just want them. You need an amazing car to sell well, it really has to be amazing or it has to have the brand/image.

Makes sense why the next CT will be canned and moved to a CUV...Crazy to think the 3 row RX is coming and that is going to directly take sales from the Infiniti QX60 and Acura MDX.

As for the GS is crazy to think it went from basically one engine to multiple ones.
GS 200t
GS 350
GS 450h
GS F

And it hasn't helped sales not one iota. The IS has a new 200t and it hasn't helped one bit. Its a shame there is no IS F as I feel that would give that car a shot in the arm.

Also note the RC hasn't really done amazing, it met sales goals and its declining already. Coupes are hard sells and sales usually fall fast. Curious to see how the new Q60 does.