New Interview with Lexus LC Chief Engineer Koji Sato

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-06-27-lexus-lc-goodwood-festival-speed.jpg

The chief engineer compares the LC's development to the original LS 400.
View the original article post

Reactions: Den

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
Probably my favorite quote from the article:
So in every aspect, beauty is balanced with performance and function.

I think this just describes so perfectly what I love about this direction that Toyota/Lexus have been pushing towards. It was a huge feature in the LFA where they talked about purposeful design and this is continuing forward in the new models. This also goes into how the cars are about driving feel and not just numbers on a spec sheet. Looking forward to the LC coming out and the future models on GA-L.

Reactions: RAL

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
In all honesty, sometimes these Lexus PR pieces are written with so much fluff that they make it sound like Lexus just now figured out that they should try to make cars that drive well.

For as much flack as we give some of the automotive press about every Lexus review starting with, "Your idea of a Lexus is probably your grandfather's beige LS 430.... it's an appliance.... Lexus has decided to try and build an exciting car for a change..."

... It's not like Lexus PR does a really great job of giving them a different impression. Where is the storytelling about a history of iconic designs or great performance vehicles like SC 400, GS 400, SC 430, IS F, LFA, etc. ?

I'm also getting sick of Lexus talking about "great driving dynamics." Please actually tell us what has been done to create a car with crisp handling, well-balanced turn in, suspension that provides feedback to the driver, low center of gravity, low weight, etc. Those are the things that tell the story of a great driving car. Saying this is a "great driving car" does not say anything at all. Hyundai engineers probably think the turbo Veloster is a great driving car.

Lexus PR has to learn how to tell their story better. The way they talk about themselves needs to evolve to where the company is today, and is heading in the future.

I have no interest in reading the LC F press release in a year and a half talking about how it is a great driving car because it has sporty styling and calipers with the Lexus emblem on them.

Apologies for the minor rant :D

Wicus Kriel

Premium Member
Reactions
I'm not familiar with the FOS event. Are times recorded for the different vehicles doing the hill climb? Will there be more info / experience sharing about how the LC actually climbed the hill?

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
For as much flack as we give some of the automotive press about every Lexus review starting with, "Your idea of a Lexus is probably your grandfather's beige LS 430.... it's an appliance.... Lexus has decided to try and build an exciting car for a change..."

That would be significantly better than a couple of recent reviews that are getting discussed on LE, although in fairness the press tide is definitely turning with the GS F.

... It's not like Lexus PR does a really great job of giving them a different impression. Where is the storytelling about a history of iconic designs or great performance vehicles like SC 400, GS 400, SC 430, IS F, LFA, etc. ?

Agreed. The word "Lexus" in their PR should always be followed by something like "makers of the legendary LF-A" or "makers of Jeremy Clarkson's favorite car ever" or "makers of the GS-F that some @$$hat hipster drove to IKEA". Maybe not that last one.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
In all honesty, sometimes these Lexus PR pieces are written with so much fluff that they make it sound like Lexus just now figured out that they should try to make cars that drive well.

I'm also getting sick of Lexus talking about "great driving dynamics." Please actually tell us what has been done to create a car with crisp handling, well-balanced turn in, suspension that provides feedback to the driver, low center of gravity, low weight, etc. Those are the things that tell the story of a great driving car. Saying this is a "great driving car" does not say anything at all. Hyundai engineers probably think the turbo Veloster is a great driving car.

Lexus PR has to learn how to tell their story better. The way they talk about themselves needs to evolve to where the company is today, and is heading in the future.

I have no interest in reading the LC F press release in a year and a half talking about how it is a great driving car because it has sporty styling and calipers with the Lexus emblem on them.

I agree for the most part -- I understand that Lexus wants to emphasize the driving improvements made with the LC, but it's time to elevate the conversation and build off of what has come before. At the same time, PR always has to start from ground zero with every press release and piece of content -- I guess it's easiest to build off the (old) popular opinion that Lexus has poor performance.