Discussion: Top Five Legendary Lexus Paint Colors

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-06-14-lexus-lc-atomic-silver.jpg

Atomic Silver is just the latest example of a legendary Lexus color. What is your top five?
View the original article post

D

DDas

Words cannot describe my love for Ultrasonic Blue Mica [2.0]. What a color! There are so many brands that try to have a unique blue like Lexus, and they do look good, yes, but when you see the Lexus blue in person, you know its unique. Something about it is truly spectacular. My next Lexus (IS FSport or RCF) will definitely be Ultrasonic Blue Mica.

Lasse J. Nordvik

Follower
Reactions
Sonic titanium/Atomic silver,certainly. I've never been a fan of greys, but this one has such depth and complexity. The way it changes depending on light and angle shows of the car's lines and curve so well.
Pearl white I also love. It has an "expensive" look to it.
There are few things in this world as beautiful as an SC 300/400 in Sandstone beige metallic.
Pearl Yellow on an LFA is bold and classy.
Don't even get me started on how much I love the RC's orange paint! <3

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Only 5? This is a one tough one.

Ultrasonic Blue
Amethyst Pearl
Atomic Silver
Glacier Frost Mica
Matador Red/Infra Red

I would also definitely have to add a few LFA colors. Now which LFA colors is hard to say, because the LFA buying process allowed some custom colors which provided some spectacular custom color finishes. In terms of stock LFA colors though, I would throw in:

Starlight Black (or Obsidian as a regular non-LFA black)
Pearl Yellow

These two colors I would interchange possibly with two above colors. It's really hard to choose, but I think that Pearl Yellow and Starlight Black/Obsidian are pretty iconic.

Some notable LFA mentions for me would also be:

Sunset Orange
Crystal Gold
Black Amethyst
Moss Green
Slate Blue
Fresh Green

It's a shame that the LFA had such wonderful colors offered, but as the LFA is so rare, and given that only some LFAs have these colors, many of these colors will never be seen in person by Lexus enthusiasts.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Amythist....best Lexus color of all time (I tend to like anything with purple in it). Then Solar Yellow (I had a 2001 IS300 painted that color). Then Auburn Sky Metallic (which was also an IS300 color that year). Then Atomic Silver. Then Matador Red.

rayaans

Fan
Reactions
Atomic silver a legendary colour? No chance, probably the most dull colour I can imagine

For me the colours are Starfire Pearl, infrared, ultrasonic blue, Obsidian and molten pearl

Reactions
Words cannot describe my love for Ultrasonic Blue Mica [2.0]. What a color! There are so many brands that try to have a unique blue like Lexus, and they do look good, yes, but when you see the Lexus blue in person, you know its unique. Something about it is truly spectacular. My next Lexus (IS FSport or RCF) will definitely be Ultrasonic Blue Mica.

True that, I own a RC 350 F-Sport and I get equal compliments for the color and car :)...the color is awesome to look at, under all light conditions...

My top-five colors:
- Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0
- Smoky Granite Mica
- Atomic Silver
- Matador Red/Infra Red
- Glacier Frost Mica or Midnight Green Mica

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Atomic silver a legendary colour? No chance, probably the most dull colour I can imagine

That's just it. Regular bread-and-butter silver DOES look dull....most of us here would probably admit that. But the Atomic Silver adds a depth of an attractive Titanium-metallic effect to it. Audi and Dodge had a shade that was even more impressive, with an even more striking titanium-effect to it, but I don't remember what it was called.

Ved

Reactions
I own a 2010 GS 460... yes, a very rare breed. Color of choice? Black Sapphire Pearl. The amount of compliments I get on the sexy & sleekness, and COLOR, of my vehicle? Unbelievable. Daylight, especially sunlight, the dark blue with glass (or glass-like?) flakes is just pearlescent and gorgeous. At night? Looks black. Haha.

Don't know if anyone remembers that color choice from 6yrs ago, but man there's nothing like it (not discounting other beautiful colors everyone else may state here, as I have a few other "love that color" too... But I really love how my GS460 "gleams" (as a bystander once stated) in the sunlight!

Reactions
Atomic Silver tops my list because simply, it goes with everything under the sun and there is simply nothing else that showcases such a depth between shadow and highlight, making whatever car it is on that much more striking.

Similarly, Infra Red comes a close second, I remember having customers specifically wait for this color in the form of their special-ordered RC-F units. The wait was agonizing since early on, the factory ended up having a 6-month wait due to issues being able to actually manufacture the paint. In the end, it was absolutely worth the wait and the only thing keeping it from the top spot is that it doesn't go well with all the model shapes.

My real-world favorite is 077, otherwise known as Starfire Pearl. Common? Yes. But even more fantastic. There is not a nicer pearl white on any car period. When you get to admire just how nice this shade of white is, how good it is at hiding dirt, how it erases scuffs, how much nicer and deeper it looks in artificial light, all the notions of it being a bland color - like scuffs - disappear.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
USB / USB 2.0 is my number 1. I never tired of the color. I have never received so many compliments on my IS.

A close second is Infrared as it pops with fluidic depth. I also get people stopping me giving compliments on the RC F, with an emphasis on complimenting the color.

Next Matador Red Mica. Owned two for a reason! :)

Obsidian is the blackest black ever on a car. Stunning on the NX.

Then Smokey Granite Mica, Liquid Platinum, and Bamboo Pearl.

I'm not fond of white but Starfire Pearl has left an impression on me since the 2IS.

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0 or Heat Blue C.L (Contrast Layering) 8X1 is indeed very unique. It looks fabulous when seeing it in person especially auto show lighting. You cannot capture it in picture. I was intrigued by it when seeing it the first time in an auto show.

My other favourite (biased) is
Atomic Silver/Sonic Titanium

It is unique as it is not the normal silver colour. It looks unique and good under various lighting. I enjoy mine every day. What is only known to owners is the easy of maintenance -- when it is covered with dust, you won't find it too dirty and it is extremely, extremely to see any light swirls/minor scratches with this colour. The downside is when you polish it. You need to have very good lighting and lighting angle.

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
USB / USB 2.0 is my number 1. I never tired of the color. I have never received so many compliments on my IS.

A close second is Infrared as it pops with fluidic depth. I also get people stopping me giving compliments on the RC F, with an emphasis on complimenting the color.

Next Matador Red Mica. Owned two for a reason! :)

Obsidian is the blackest black ever on a car. Stunning on the NX.

Then Smokey Granite Mica, Liquid Platinum, and Bamboo Pearl.

I'm not fond of white but Starfire Pearl has left an impression on me since the 2IS.
Liquid Platinum, also known as sonic silver is a good colour as well. If there is no atomic colour, I would have chosen that one as well.

The Matador Red Mica looks richer than Infrared. I saw a current gen GS in Matador Red Mica today under sunlight and it is stunning.

PS: You sold your IS and has a HS?

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Liquid Platinum, also known as sonic silver is a good colour as well. If there is no atomic colour, I would have chosen that one as well.

The Matador Red Mica looks richer than Infrared. I saw a current gen GS in Matador Red Mica today under sunlight and it is stunning.

PS: You sold your IS and has a HS?

Yeah, traded my IS after almost three years, for the HS. My 50+ km stop/go commute was a factor. I missed owning a hybrid and too bad the IS 300h is not here or I'd be in one. So far enjoying the HS as an alternative and averaging a frugal 6.7 L/100 km vs 11.2 for the IS (on 91 octane)

As for color, I know Atomic Silver has its rave reviews, but the "beige/titanium" tones do not appeal to me. I prefer more vibrant colors :D. But, what impresses me about this color is the exceptional depth, luster. and multi-tones depending on angle and sun light.

Oh and Black Sapphire Pearl is one of my favorites as well, on my HS... Looks very dark navy blue in bright light but looks black in shade or night time.

upload_2016-6-14_23-16-45.png

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
Yeah, traded my IS after almost three years, for the HS. My 50+ km stop/go commute was a factor. I missed owning a hybrid and too bad the IS 300h is not here or I'd be in one. So far enjoying the HS as an alternative and averaging a frugal 6.7 L/100 km vs 11.2 for the IS (on 91 octane)

As for color, I know Atomic Silver has its rave reviews, but the "beige/titanium" tones do not appeal to me. I prefer more vibrant colors :D. But, what impresses me about this color is the exceptional depth, luster. and multi-tones depending on angle and sun light.

Oh and Black Sapphire Pearl is one of my favorites as well, on my HS... Looks very dark navy blue in bright light but looks black in shade or night time.

View attachment 1709
Black Sapphire Peal, while not my colour as I prefer lighter colour for easier maintenance, is a great colour that pops if it is well detailed. That colour complements Matador Red Mica as they are very rich. :)