NEWSFLASH: Lexus is the Least Expensive Luxury Brand to Own

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew

Lexus also ranks as third overall in a new study from YourMechanic.
View the original article post

James

Founding Member
Reactions
I am proud to be both Lexus and Toyota owner. High quality, unbeatable reliability, good resale value, low cost ownership. Bravo!!!
I would like to second that as I both have a Toyota and a Lexus. Wouldn't want it any other way...except if I had Lexus and Lexus! Lol

Brooks2IS

Premium Member
Reactions
Ditto. With years 0f Toyota/Lexus and BMW ownership (currently 1 Lexus, 1 BMW, and 2 Toyota's in the garage), I can agree wholeheartedly!

Reactions
I agree since there's both Toyota and Lexus in the family garage....but we all know this already, it ain' t no secret. It's obvious!

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
10 out of 10 Mercedes Benz, BMW, Jaguar and Range Rover owners will verify that fact. Read this yesterday on USA Today. Glad someone took the time to post it.

Reactions
I'm always curious, does the average American luxury car buyer care as much about the costs especially when most of them lease and not purchase, for a 36 or 48 month term, and most likely isn't paying for maintenance? To these folks, a 10 year total cost of ownership along with any depreciation won't matter since it goes back when the lease is up.

Most_and%20Least_to_Maintain.jpg

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Brilliant, absolutely brilliant! Thanks for this post! This information fully backs up everything I already know from personal experience, talking with numerous mechanics, etc.

For example, the little-known fact that Hondas/Acuras are noticeably more expensive to maintain than Toyotas/Lexus.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
I'm always curious, does the average American luxury car buyer care as much about the costs especially when most of them lease and not purchase, for a 36 or 48 month term, and most likely isn't paying for maintenance? To these folks, a 10 year total cost of ownership along with any depreciation won't matter since it goes back when the lease is up.

Most_and%20Least_to_Maintain.jpg

Agree, but it also speaks to the used car buyer. :)

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I'm always curious, does the average American luxury car buyer care as much about the costs especially when most of them lease and not purchase, for a 36 or 48 month term, and most likely isn't paying for maintenance?

As someone who does that sort of leasing, yes it does matter. My time definitely isn't free. If you haven't realized that yet about yourself, wait'll you turn 40 :) So every time my LS starts no problem and gets me where I'm going where a hypothetical BMW/Mercedes/Audi would start dropping transmission parts that's saving me money, even if everything's under warranty.

Reactions: CIF

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I'm going to avoid making sweeping generalizations regarding transmissions and certain German brands, even though I actually have both leasing and ownership experience with several Mercedes and Porsche vehicles.

No surprise on the list shown, although my Lexus IS is consuming parts and labor of considerable cost (at $0 owner cost, as it relates to topic here) due to recalls and warranty enhancements and TSB's.

Reactions
As someone who does that sort of leasing, yes it does matter. My time definitely isn't free. If you haven't realized that yet about yourself, wait'll you turn 40 :) So every time my LS starts no problem and gets me where I'm going where a hypothetical BMW/Mercedes/Audi would start dropping transmission parts that's saving me money, even if everything's under warranty.
You're right I'm not 40...but I don't see my two friends with 3 Series at their local BMW center all the time. While one just drives his E92 335i coupe on the weekends mostly, while my other buddy mostly dailies his E90 328i sedan (was a dealer loaner), whom I fear for because the CPO warranty is already over.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
One thing that helps with the maintenance of Lexus vehicles is that, unlike with some other luxury brands, Some of the work (and minor repairs) can be done for less money, at Toyota dealerships. In most instances, you get the same filters, plugs, wiring, fluids, brake pads, wiper blades, etc......, at both Toyota and Lexus shops. It's just that Toyota shops tend to charge less for the same work. I found that to be the case with my Lexus IS300. When I got the IS, the Service Manager at the local Toyota ship where I had gotten my former Celica and my mom's Corolla said bring the IS there for anything except warranty-related work (he and I were personal friends besides the business aspect, and he often asked my advice after a review). He said, at that time (early 2000s), that warranty work could only be reimbursed at an actual Lexus shop....but that may or may not have changed in the meantime.

And, from what understand, I'm wasn't the only one...a number of Lexus owners also use Toyota shops, for at least the simpler things.

Though I don't have the hard numbers or personal experience to prove it, I would imagine that Lincolns are also probably inexpensive (by luxury-car standards) to maintain, since they are generally sold and serviced at Ford shops....Lincoln no longer has exclusive dealerships of their own in the American market. Some Audi functions might (?) also be able to be done at VW shops.....especially where they share the same engines/drivetrains.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
Not really surprised about the Germans or Lexus obviously but Acura and Infiniti more to the rear has to be concerning.