Some Lexus Vehicles in the USA Experiencing Nav System Error

Reactions

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/7/11879860/lexus-navigation-broken-software-update-bug
An unknown number of Lexus automobiles have seen their infotainment and navigation head units broken by a bug in an over-the-air software update from Lexus.

The glitch, which was confirmed by a Lexus spokesperson, was delivered in a routine software update. In affected cars, it can cause the dashboard screen to spontaneously reset itself and, as a result, both the radio and navigation system can be unusable. It affects cars equipped with Lexus' Enform system with navigation.

Lexus social media channels have been flooded by frustrated owners, but the company has been unable to give any estimates for when the problem will be resolved. The company also couldn't say whether customers will see the problem fix itself with another software update or if they will need to head into dealers to get it fixed. Some users on Twitter have reported success with disconnecting their battery for a few moments to force a reset of the system.

Tesla has been the most prominent automaker to regularly issue over-the-air software updates, even offering the ability to pay to unlock new features. But, like with tablets and smartphones, seamless software updates can sometimes be a double-edged sword by breaking more than they fix.

Breaking news, story at 11 with more to come!

http://jalopnik.com/lexus-owners-experiencing-a-nationwide-blackout-of-nav-1781158360

Reactions: Den

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Do we know what vehicles are affected? And don't update anything rt now?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-06-08-lexus-navigation-system.jpg

The issue was caused by a faulty over-the-air update.
View the original article post

Daniel Guyton

Premium Member
Reactions
Do we know what vehicles are affected? And don't update anything rt now?
My '14 CT was affected by the update. It seems to be any vehicle equipped with the Gen. 8 nav systems, so mostly '14 and up. You don't have a choice in the update, it is pushed to the unit when it is booted. It has been fixed and the patched update is being broadcast now. If any units are stuck in a boot loop, a hard reset is needed.

Daniel Guyton

Premium Member
Reactions

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
My girlfriend experienced this as well on our 2014 GX 460. Hopefully Lexus will have some kind of solution for this.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Even Lexus can't prevent computer errors from happening! This brought up this question in m mind: If in the future cars are going to be autonomous and glitches in computers are going to be even once a year, wouldn't that be really dangerous? What if there was no steering wheel at all and the driver can't do anything about it even if he is awake at the time?

Reactions
Even Lexus can't prevent computer errors from happening! This brought up this question in m mind: If in the future cars are going to be autonomous and glitches in computers are going to be even once a year, wouldn't that be really dangerous? What if there was no steering wheel at all and the driver can't do anything about it even if he is awake at the time?
ZNlRX.gif

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
My '14 CT was affected by the update. It seems to be any vehicle equipped with the Gen. 8 nav systems, so mostly '14 and up. You don't have a choice in the update, it is pushed to the unit when it is booted. It has been fixed and the patched update is being broadcast now. If any units are stuck in a boot loop, a hard reset is needed.
I've read that it's 2014-2016 Lexus (models unspecified but it seems to be the whole model lineup) plus Toyota Land Cruiser.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Even Lexus can't prevent computer errors from happening!

This is not merely a minor error, but a rather more serious one. Minor glitches do happen, but I stand by my original statement. This is an unusual problem for Lexus.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Lexus service department is bogged down this week and early next week at my dealership. I will get my car serviced next Wednesday.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I never use the NAV so...lol....As cars get more complicated with electronics and 3rd parties I expect this to happen from time to time. No big deal to me but I can understand how some people would be freaked out or a bit upset about the situation.