Lexus to Cancel CT in Favor of Sub-Compact Crossover?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-05-24-lexus-ct-replacement.jpg

A sub-compact crossover could be the key for Lexus in the European market.
View the original article post

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Autocar interview sounds strange, it is not real interview so it is hard to understand what did Uyttenhoven say and what did Autocar interpret. For instance CT200h replacement crossover (UX) would be compact crossover like C-HR not sub-compact like LF-SA.

Lasse J. Nordvik

Follower
Reactions
Lexus has always had a "tradition" for worrying far too much about having too many models and that there may be an overlap or redundancy (except with the GX/LX models where it actually might be a valid concern). I can't help but naively ask the rhetorical question: "If other premium brands can offer both a compact car AND a cross-over,why can't Lexus?" The CT should definitely continue,preferably with more than one engine option,along with the UX.

D

DDas

I was thinking the same thing as what Lasse J. Nordik said; if other brands are being successful with their models that are closely related, why can't Lexus? Another problem Lexus faces is the lack of advertising these poor selling vehicles. How often do you see a CT commercial vs the ES/RX? My TV is flooded with the RX and ES. I know that they are the bread and butter of Lexus and top-selling models, but you have to show your product to people who aren't like the people on this site - car enthusiasts. The common people probably believe the ES and RX are the only Lexus models out there.
I also find an issue with the fact that Lexus is trying to produce "useless" models. Will a production LF-SA actually be successful or useful? How well did the Scion iQ do? The Aston Martin Cygnet? The Lexus UX (still hate the name) would appeal to some customers, but the NX is a good city crossover that is doing very well. Lexus still lacks that 3-row crossover that people are demanding (I know the RX L has been trademarked), yet they want to focus on cars that may not be so successful. I personally feel like Lexus needs to work on their F brand, their performance of FSport and base models, and their styling. I do love Lexus styling, but let's not deny the fact that the RX is a little much and the RC grille is too wide (not the F). If Lexus focused on these things, the CT would probably do well in its next generation. Just my opinion.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Lexus 1: Why is the CT getting barely any sales?
Lexus 2: Probably `cause the segment is unpopular, not the car or the engines fault.
Lexus 1: Right, we should just kill the CT, the fact that it is only offered as a hybrid has nothing to do with it.
Lexus 2: Or that it is the only Lexus model that has no full spindle grille.
Lexus 1: Lexus cars are great, it will never be the cars fault for low sales. Let`s just kill the CT and instead put a small crossover in the lineup
Lexus 3: Why can`t we have both?
Lexus 1 & 2: Because people don`t buy any affordable luxury cars anymore.

Reactions
Strategery-SNL.jpg

Sounds like a smart strategic move because even Europe might be moving on...there wasn't much of a market in the US to begin with, and Europe is starting to change its tastes. If anything, they can pull the badges off a Prius and call it a new CT. :joy:

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
Cancelling the CT for a sub compact seems odd when we've seen CT test mules last year of a similar sized car to the current model. My bet is that the new CT will be a vehicle with "crossover" looks but no real off road ability so Lexus can cash I on the crossover trend with a vehicle smaller and cheaper than the NX.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Lexus could do something like the A-Class and GLA-Class where the GLA is literally a lifted A with a slightly different looking front and rear.
Mercedes-A-200-GLA-200-Vergleich-Bild-02.jpg

Then the UX should be based on the CT! But if they are doing what Benz did with the wheelbase of the A and GLA being the same, the UX wheelbase would be only two inches shorter than the NX.

A-Class Wheelbase: 106.3 inches
GLA-Class Wheelbase: 106.3 inches

NX Wheelbase: 104.7 inches

CT Wheelbase: 102.4 inches
UX Wheelbase (if they use Benz strategy): 102.4

First of all, that would be only two inches shorter than the NX. Is that enough to make it a whole different class? And also, the UX would have a wheelbase that is a whole 4 inches smaller than that of the GLA.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Cancelling the CT for a sub compact seems odd when we've seen CT test mules last year of a similar sized car to the current model. My bet is that the new CT will be a vehicle with "crossover" looks but no real off road ability so Lexus can cash I on the crossover trend with a vehicle smaller and cheaper than the NX.
Have any images?

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Lexus please keep the CT and add the UX. Both those vehicles can co-exist in the Lexus lineup.

CT 200t
CT 200h
CT 300h

UX 200t
UX 200h
UX 250

LexusTechSA

Founding Member
Reactions
I can't see anywhere in the article where the quote Alain saying that they will cancel the CT, maybe they are just putting their own spin on it to make an interesting headline. I think the only reason for slow CT sales is the Hybrid only stratagy. If they make a CT200h and CT200t I think sale would improve quite a bit.

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
I would be surprised if the CT-replacement isn't a hybrid crossover. Toyota just built a new mini-ute, so they can amortize the costs by sharing that platform. Hopefully it is better looking and less industrial that the new Toyota. That already has a hybrid option. Should hit the streets by first of the year....
BD

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I came across this rendering recently, but probably not much of anything. (Forgive the watermark, but I do not trust those who keep taking from Lexus Enthusiast)

I do not know to trust this rumour entirely. The Toyota Motor Corporation and their Japanese product planners for Lexus, cannot be as so short-sighted and lazily to not be able to have both models in their line-up.

They will continue to lose market-share to German competitors with such reasoning. In some ways that is perfectly fine, since they have Toyota. With that being said, if their excuse is having Toyota volume, then they need to get serious about revamping the upper range. There are many features missing from current models, that would send me to their competitors.

One has yet to know the full breadth of innovations brought to market by the LC coupe, not only in the LC500h's power train and drive train, but that of in-cabin technology.

2017-ct-001.jpg
Lexus could differentiate the CT from the UX by making it rwd. Just a thought.
They could, but they won't of course. I don't know if the GA-L would fit such a compact product though. Then again, the XE40 IS will be GA-L.

Last edited:

Lasse J. Nordvik

Follower
Reactions
I came across this rendering recently, but probably not much of anything. (Forgive the watermark, but I do not trust those who keep taking from Lexus Enthusiast)

I do not know to trust this rumour entirely. The Toyota Motor Corporation and their Japanese product planners for Lexus, cannot be as so short-sighted and lazily to not be able to have both models in their line-up.

They will continue to lose market-share to German competitors with such reasoning. In some ways that is perfectly fine, since they have Toyota. With that being said, if their excuse is having Toyota volume, then they need to get serious about revamping the upper range. There are many features missing from current models, that would send me to their competitors.

One has yet to know the full breadth of innovations brought to market by the LC coupe, not only in the LC500h's power train and drive train, but that of in-cabin technology.

View attachment 1663

They could, but they won't of course. I don't know if the GA-L would fit such a compact product though. Then again, the XE40 IS will be GA-L.
A rwd 2nd generation CT is probably unlikely,but if I remember correctly Toyota's TNGA platform is supposed to flexible enough to accommodate front,rear and four wheel drive configurations,so I think it could be done.