Lexus GS F Lexus GS F Review from Dan Neil of The Wall Street Journal

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-04-26-lexus-gs-f-dan-neil-wsj.jpg

The "pharmaceutically enhanced, dripping-with-brakes Lexus GS F" wins Neil over.
View the original article post

Reactions
"By way of a computer-controlled multiplate clutch, the GS F diff can over-rotate the outside wheel, helping the car answer the helm. The first diff I saw capable of this trick was in a Ferrari."

The hugely incremental positive reaction to this car simply proves that Lexus is indeed listening and taking action on the the minute details that make a big difference in driving pleasure. I admit that when the RC and RC-F first came in, it was vastly underwhelming due to not being a clean-slate chassis, and the reviews found the same nuances similarly annoying. Well, they listened and now I can't wait to see how the LC in its most brutish form will begin to execute the market segment we've waited so long for them to take part in.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
"By way of a computer-controlled multiplate clutch, the GS F diff can over-rotate the outside wheel, helping the car answer the helm. The first diff I saw capable of this trick was in a Ferrari."

The hugely incremental positive reaction to this car simply proves that Lexus is indeed listening and taking action on the the minute details that make a big difference in driving pleasure. I admit that when the RC and RC-F first came in, it was vastly underwhelming due to not being a clean-slate chassis, and the reviews found the same nuances similarly annoying. Well, they listened and now I can't wait to see how the LC in its most brutish form will begin to execute the market segment we've waited so long for them to take part in.
I may be wrong but the LC doesn't have the GS F differential, we will have to wait for an LC F for the TVD on an LC.

mikeavelli

Reactions
A

Well said. I had the opportunity to drive a GT4 in the Cali Coast for a few days and it is not overpowering at all compared to a 911 Turbo S I had a few weeks earlier. And while they both put grins on my face, the GT4 just is better balanced to me and exciting since I have to stay involved and keep it in the right gear. Its by no means slow but to get the most out of it, I need to pay attention. Contrarily the Turbo is so fast you can be in any gear and the car takes off like a rocket.

Also credit the manual vs PDK and RWD vs AWD. I write all that to say in my brief time with the GS F I feel its like the GT4 in being a tremendous car full of all the right balance though it might be underpowered to some others and not a neck snapper. I hope to take the GS F through its paces at the "Tail of the Dragon" in a couple of weeks and report back my findings.

Dan got it right and its great to see another solid review for the GS F. Also nice to see him shout out South Miami :D

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
A

Well said. I had the opportunity to drive a GT4 in the Cali Coast for a few days and it is not overpowering at all compared to a 911 Turbo S I had a few weeks earlier. And while they both put grins on my face, the GT4 just is better balanced to me and exciting since I have to stay involved and keep it in the right gear. Its by no means slow but to get the most out of it, I need to pay attention. Contrarily the Turbo is so fast you can be in any gear and the car takes off like a rocket.

Also credit the manual vs PDK and RWD vs AWD. I write all that to say in my brief time with the GS F I feel its like the GT4 in being a tremendous car full of all the right balance though it might be underpowered to some others and not a neck snapper. I hope to take the GS F through its paces at the "Tail of the Dragon" in a couple of weeks and report back my findings
by Dan got it right and its great to see another solid review for the GS F. Also nice to see him shout out South Miami :D
By GT4, do you mean Cayman GT4?