Lexus Sells One Million Hybrid Vehicles Since 2005

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-04-12-lexus-hybrid-lineup.jpg

Lexus has reached the milestone of 1,000,000 hybrids sold.
View the original article post

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Wonder where the LC 500h sales will fit in with the sales. I'm sure it will be more popular than the RC 300h.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
It's an awesome accomplishment for Lexus. I'm very happy with my 2011 CT 200h. I have over 120,000 miles and it runs like a champ...

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Though the present figure is not bad at all, I think we would have seen more hybrid sales in Europe over the years, except that diesels, for a number of reasons, have been far more popular in Europe than in the U.S....and that was one technology Lexus never really seemed to get into. Of course, the recent VW/Audi diesel scandal may put a big damper on future diesel sales and clear the way for even more hybrids.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Lexus did have the IS 220d/200d but never really took off and were plagued with issues. Currently Lexus does have the LX 450d. It's obvious Lexus wants to lead in the future of engine propulsion such as gasoline and hydrogen hybrids. I look forward to what Lexus has in store...

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Lexus did have the IS 220d/200d but never really took off and were plagued with issues. Currently Lexus does have the LX 450d. It's obvious Lexus wants to lead in the future of engine propulsion such as gasoline and hydrogen hybrids. I look forward to what Lexus has in store...

Thanks, Trexus......I had forgotten about the diesel IS and LX models. Not surprisingly, we never saw those in the U.S. Hydrogen fuel-cell vehicles don't really seem to be taking off much, either, as, even waiting 8 hours with a 110V outlet, it is often simpler and easier to just recharge a hybrid battery than to find 20,000 PSI compressed hydrogen refills.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Petrol/electric hybrids have been around now for sometime and is just another option to choose from that doesn't have too much of a premium. I'm sure Toyota/Lexus wants to lead the future with hydrogen/electric hybrids such as the Toyota Mirai. Here in California I've seen about 4 or 5 Mirai's in the wild. This car goes for about $50K which has a significant premium.

So far for 2016 Toyota has sold over 97 Mirai's
In 2015 Toyota sold 72 Mirai's.

I'm sure in the near future the LS will have a hydrogen variant and may carry over to other Lexus models such as the ES...

Last edited:

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
However, the big news for me in the breakdown is the LS.... 41K units is a HUGE number for a 100K vehicle, wow!

Agreed, I'm *really* surprised they moved that many LS hybrids.

I don't know why it didn't jump out at me initially, but you two are right -- 41k is an impressive number for the LS hybrid, around 4,100 a year since the model's introduction.

Dreski

Fan
Reactions
With all the Model 3 talk wiping out Prius etc... I really hope the FCV hydrogen tech goes full speed. It really does not help having the Mirai to kick things off. What a disgusting piece of kit. I hope this translates over to some Lexus models cause I hate Tesblah. ASAP immediately, like before 2020. Toyota/Lexus put it on your regular models & not some ugly duckling "Future" embarrassment. Huge mistake imo. Tesla sells well cause their cars look decent enough to show off and brag. How can anybody mass adopt an ugly kit? #SMH If they hydrogen tech was fitted in an IS, Camry, Avalon, ES, CT... this tech will spread like fire.
*vent*

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Pre and post Tesla, Lexus has taken a leadership role amongst the top 3 brands in US with greener premium/luxury vehicles (hybrids so far). I'm looking forward to how they advance that position in near future, ignoring gas price declines/fluctuations that will continue.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
How can anybody mass adopt an ugly kit? #SMH If they hydrogen tech was fitted in an IS, Camry, Avalon, ES, CT... this tech will spread like fire.
*vent*

It will be eventually. But there have been repeated surveys indicating that early adopters of eco-cars *want* the kind of odd, "look-at-me" styling made (in)famous by the original Prius so that everyone knows how good they're being. After that, with the ice having been broken, it was easy to roll out Hybrid Synergy Drive throughout the Toyota and Lexus lineups. I expect they're aiming for the same thing with hydrogen, but on an accelerated schedule since the public already knows this stuff is coming and the Mirai will be less necessary to break the proverbial ice this time.