Lexus Europe Sales Up 16% in First Quarter of 2016

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-04-10-lexus-nx-europe-sales.jpg

Lexus Europe has reported first quarter sales of 18,058 vehicles, an increase of 16% compared to the first quarter of 2015.
View the original article post

Reactions: Den

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Wonder if the GLA, X1, and Q3 beat those sales for the NX in Europe, since the German cars in its segment are extremely popular in Europe.

S10

Reactions
Yes, they dwarf the NX sales figures:
GLA: Jan-Feb 2016 9086 (March not included)
Q3: Jan-Feb 2016 14736 (Again March not included)
X1: Jan-Feb 2016 12478 (and again)

But the NX figures are very good for Europe, it is the best selling Lexus ever.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

that seems not big difference compared to number of dealers they all have... I think it is crucial that NX sells great in Russia why your stats probably do EU only.

S10

Reactions
Lexus sold 18000 cars in europe, including Russia in the first quarter. A record but the Audi Q3 alone sold more than the whole Lexus line up.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Lexus sold 18000 cars in europe, including Russia in the first quarter. A record but the Audi Q3 alone sold more than the whole Lexus line up.

What I am saying is that this difference is too small. Lexus sells very small numbers in Europe, difference between Q5 (not Q3) and NX should be much larger. I assume that the difference is that regular EU stats do not include Russia why Lexus EU includes Russia as their European market.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions

How can people choose the ugly Q3 and GLA over the awesome looking NX?!?!?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
How can people choose the ugly Q3 and GLA over the awesome looking NX?!?!?

well first of all, Q3 is not NX competitor, or GLA.

But this is Europe. Lexus has few dealership and barely sells any cars in many countries in Europe. So these are highest Lexus sales in European history (overall).

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
well first of all, Q3 is not NX competitor, or GLA.

But this is Europe. Lexus has few dealership and barely sells any cars in many countries in Europe. So these are highest Lexus sales in European history (overall).
What I am saying is that this difference is too small. Lexus sells very small numbers in Europe, difference between Q5 (not Q3) and NX should be much larger. I assume that the difference is that regular EU stats do not include Russia why Lexus EU includes Russia as their European market.
Umm, actually, the NX is a competitor to the Q3, not Q5, because of their wheelbase lengths and overall size.Look, the Q3 has a 102.5-inch wheelbase while the NX has a 104.7-inch wheelbase. That's pretty close, which makes them in the Small Luxury Crossovers and SUVs segment with the GLA and X1 as well. The Q5 has an 110.5-inch wheelbase, which makes it in a different segment, and the RX has a 107.9-inch wheelbase. This means the NX, Q3, X1 and GLA are all in one segment, the Small Luxury Crossovers and SUVs. The RX is in the upper segment with the Q5, GLC, and X3 in the Compact Luxury Crossovers and SUVs segment. A lot of people on this forum have been saying the NX is a competitor to the X3, Q5, GLC, RDX, etc. but all the numbers including price and size point to the RX being in that segment. People on this forum have also been saying that the RX is in the segment of the X5, GLE, Cayenne, etc. in the Mid-size Luxury Crossovers and SUVs but it is actually a competitor to the RDX, Macan, X3, GLC, Q5 and so on because of similar price and so on. Cars in the Mid-size Luxury Crossovers and SUVs segment are bigger than the RX, and have a higher price. And this means it's not the Q3, GLA, X1 segment that Lexus to compete in (it already is), it's the Mid-size Luxury Crossovers and SUVs segment that needs a Lexus to compete with the Cayenne, X5, GLE, Levante, and QX70.

Last edited:

S10

Reactions
Well, I can guarantee that in Europe nobody will consider the Q3 in the same category as the NX. It is the Q5 (and the X3). Wheelbase is not what makes the difference.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Well, I can guarantee that in Europe nobody will consider the Q3 in the same category as the NX. It is the Q5 (and the X3). Wheelbase is not what makes the difference.

yep. Just sit in them and it is pretty obvious.

Q3 is imho weakest car in the segment. X1 makes more sense and so does GLA. It proves that people love the luxury badge and not the cars behind it.

S10

Reactions
The Q5 (corrected), NX and X3 have similar length, booth size, interior space, price range.

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The Q3, NX and X3 have similar length, booth size, interior space, price range.

You mean Q5?

Q3 is about the size of C-HR at 4.38m vs 4.35m. On the other hand, NX is 4.63m.

As to the boot space, from one of the UK reviews:

In the UK market, the Lexus NX offers a 550-litre boot. Other markets get 580 litres of luggage space, but us Brits sacrifice underfloor storage in favour of a space-saver spare wheel – which we think is a far better option than a tyre-repair kit. As such, the NX has exactly the same size boot as a BMW X3 and beats both the Audi Q5 and Volvo XC60's luggage-carrying capacity.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
You mean Q5?

Q3 is about the size of C-HR at 4.38m vs 4.35m. On the other hand, NX is 4.63m.

As to the boot space, from one of the UK reviews:
IMO I still think the wheelbase length is more important than the overall length. Segments are usually based on space for people to sit in, not space for cargo. The X3s segment has more leg space. Also, the X1, which is according to you, in a lower segment than the NX, has a longer wheelbase than the NX! So how can the NX be in a higher segment? Also, the Thing about Lexus crossovers is that they have longer lengths so they can have more cargo space than it's competitors, but this causes them to have smaller wheelbases. Like your example, the NX has the same cargo space as the X3, but has a much shorter wheelbase. You really can't say the X3 and the NX are in the same segment when the NX has a wheelbase 6 inches shorter. That's why I think the upcoming UX will probably be a Q2 competitor. I also think Lexus should also have a X5 competitor.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Umm, actually, the NX is a competitor to the Q3, not Q5, because of their wheelbase lengths and overall size.Look, the Q3 has a 102.5-inch wheelbase while the NX has a 104.7-inch wheelbase. That's pretty close, which makes them in the Small Luxury Crossovers and SUVs segment with the GLA and X1 as well. The Q5 has an 110.5-inch wheelbase, which makes it in a different segment, and the RX has a 107.9-inch wheelbase. This means the NX, Q3, X1 and GLA are all in one segment, the Small Luxury Crossovers and SUVs. The RX is in the upper segment with the Q5, GLC, and X3 in the Compact Luxury Crossovers and SUVs segment. A lot of people on this forum have been saying the NX is a competitor to the X3, Q5, GLC, RDX, etc. but all the numbers including price and size point to the RX being in that segment. People on this forum have also been saying that the RX is in the segment of the X5, GLE, Cayenne, etc. in the Mid-size Luxury Crossovers and SUVs but it is actually a competitor to the RDX, Macan, X3, GLC, Q5 and so on because of similar price and so on. Cars in the Mid-size Luxury Crossovers and SUVs segment are bigger than the RX, and have a higher price. And this means it's not the Q3, GLA, X1 segment that Lexus to compete in (it already is), it's the Mid-size Luxury Crossovers and SUVs segment that needs a Lexus to compete with the Cayenne, X5, GLE, Levante, and QX70.
I am going to have to politely disagree with you. If you look at the total size of the SUVs the NX is 182.3 inches in length, the Q5 is 182.6 inches, and the X3 is 183.4 inches. Those vehicles are all the same length in actual car. What each company wants to do with the space that they have is irrelevant but if you lined them up they are the same. Now while the price of the NX is closer to the X1 and Q3 that is the Germans making it more expensive and/or Lexus trying to take sales with the NX being cheaper than X3 and Q5. Also, I would like to point out if the RX is with the Q5, X3 segment than the RX would not and should not get third row seat since nothing in that segment has a third row. But because it rivals the X5 the RX is getting the third row seat. Also, if the NX rivaled the Q3 and X1 Lexus would not need a smaller SUV because the NX would be in the small segment and wee have rumors saying Lexus will go smaller. Those are my two cents I don't know how the rest of the forum thinks/feels and I'm sure there is room for debate but I would love a Lexus official to come out and say where the NX is suppose to fit accordingly to them. Krew, LexFather, flipside909, or Gecko do you guys have any opinions on where the NX is? I know you are our founders here on this site!

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
IMO I still think the wheelbase length is more important than the overall length. Segments are usually based on space for people to sit in, not space for cargo. The X3s segment has more leg space. Also, the X1, which is according to you, in a lower segment than the NX, has a longer wheelbase than the NX! So how can the NX be in a higher segment? Also, the Thing about Lexus crossovers is that they have longer lengths so they can have more cargo space than it's competitors, but this causes them to have smaller wheelbases. Like your example, the NX has the same cargo space as the X3, but has a much shorter wheelbase. You really can't say the X3 and the NX are in the same segment when the NX has a wheelbase 6 inches shorter. That's why I think the upcoming UX will probably be a Q2 competitor. I also think Lexus should also have a X5 competitor.

I reckon you never sat in any of these cars. Wheelbase does not always mean leg room, overall length matters more since they all have similar trunks and engine bays.

The rear seat, too, is supremely comfortable in the NX – it doesn’t have quite as much head room, and the door openings are a little shallow, but once you’re in there’s better leg and toe room than the BMW. That’s despite the BMW riding on a longer 2810mm wheelbase; the gap between the front and rear wheels of the NX is 2660mm.

2015-BMWX3-LexusNX-smallSUVcomparo-sydney-45.jpg

2015-BMWX3-LexusNX-smallSUVcomparo-sydney-69.jpg

Up NX, lower X3.

Cars are more than collection of specs. Just look at how much better position is at the rear of NX. Not only there is more space for legs and knees, position of the passenger is much better - more laid back and natural. Not only that, but rear boot is also longer.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/347803/...t-sports-luxury-prestige-suv-comparison-test/