Lexus Trademarks NX 300 & GS 300 Nameplates

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Toyota Jidosha Kabushiki Kaisha has filed to trademark the names NX300 and GS300. The GS300 trademark was filed on March 10, 2016 in the United States and designated as "NEW APPLICATION FILED" on March 15, 2016.

This is possibly related to the new twin turbo V6 engine that rayaans mentioned in October 2014, that a privately shown 2018 LS (poseib LS300) prototype was powered by.

Lexus is actively signing off on design changes and improvements for a facelift to the NX line, set to be introduced in the fall of 2017 for MY2018.

This will include the NX300, which a trademark was filed on March 25, 2016 and designated as "NEW APPLICATION FILED" on March 30th.

The GS300 will likely replace the GS350 on the current "New N" platform or the GA-L platform redesign for 2019.

At the moment, I can bet the next generation is getting many design details finalised, ahead of intro in less than 2.5 to 3 years.

Any new Lexus on a new platform, takes about 3 years after reaching that point. The LC coupe was already final according to Lexus Europe chief, exactly 21-22 months ago. Production begins in December, so that's 30 months right there.

The new LS has been final for about 18 months, it starts production next summer. That is nearly 36 months.

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
My guess is that they will be using the same de-tuned 3.5 V6 that the new IS300 is using. For the GS this means GS200t, GS300, GS350 and GS450h which is similar (except for the hybrid) to what we see on the IS lineup.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-04-04-lexus-nx-300.jpg

Is there a new engine option coming to the popular compact crossover?
View the original article post

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
NX has been so popular already, and I've been saying for months that a V6 option would go a long way. You have X3 35i, GLC 350, Q5 3.0T, RDX... Lexus needs something V6-powered to compete in that range.

2.0T is a great engine, but there are a lot of people who just want a V6 for smoothness and NVH. This will satisfy those folks as well as others looking for more performance.

What is interesting to think about is what we should expect out of this "3.0L" engine.

Could it be the same detuned 3.5L V6 that went into the IS 300 AWD and RC 300 AWD? If we are talking about an introduction late next year, I'd certainly hope not.

I am weary of the idea of this "300" being a 3.0T as Lexus' naming strategy thus far with turbos has been to use the displacement of the engine with a "t" at the end. I personally like what the Germans do with a nomenclature that illustrates an engine size closer to an N/A output, but Lexus hasn't gone that route yet. However, it's a lot easier.

My bet is on a detuned version of the 2GR-FKS V6 putting out ~275hp, still 3.5L, but they use the "300" moniker. 8AT. That's essentially Lexus' "best thinking" in a V6 for now with Otto/Atkinson and D-4S, and it's an off-the-shelf solution. It breaks down to be 84.2 hp/L and 76.3 lb-ft/L in the RX (295hp/267lb-ft). If you take those numbers and downsize to 3.0L, you get 253hp and 229lb-ft. That's insignificant compared to the 2.0T 235 or 241hp/258lb-ft. The current IS/RC 300 AWD make 255hp/236 lb-ft. 2GR-FKS was about a 20hp and 20lb-ft gain over 2GR-FE, which is what those models currently use... so I assume they land around 275hp/250lb-ft IF indeed they use a similar approach with detuned 2GR-FKS for NX and GS 300.

....and I'm done speculating for today. :D

I'm just excited that a V6 may be coming to the NX...

Last edited:

RAL

Reactions
The Lexus Advisory Board has been repeatedly surveyed regarding the NX engine/prospective options. I have decried the idle vibration of the 4 cylinder and begged for a V6 option with all its advantages. I am encouraged if this new V6 option comes with the refresh ... about 6 months before the time we'll bail on our NX lease.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The Lexus Advisory Board has been repeatedly surveyed regarding the NX engine/prospective options. I have decried the idle vibration of the 4 cylinder and begged for a V6 option with all its advantages. I am encouraged if this new V6 option comes with the refresh ... about 6 months before the time we'll bail on our NX lease.

In theory, if a V6 was available, would you get another NX? I'm hoping they heavily refresh the interior as well, but we'll see.

Reactions: RAL

RAL

Reactions
In theory, if a V6 was available, would you get another NX? I'm hoping they heavily refresh the interior as well, but we'll see.
Absolutely! ... A little refinement of the interior would be much appreciated! I'd also like to see them fix the "chopped off" lower front facia on the US model (non F-Sport). Want Panoramic roof and retracting outside rear-view mirror options too! ... Yes I've given them an ear full several times ... They claim they pay close attention ... hmmm

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Absolutely! ... A little refinement of the interior would be much appreciated! I'd also like to see them fix the "chopped off" lower front facia on the US model (non F-Sport). Want Panoramic roof and retracting outside rear-view mirror options too! ... Yes I've given them an ear full several times ... They claim they pay close attention ... hmmm

they did the front bumpers that way so it gets designated as a truck for CAFE rules.

As to the NX300 and GS300, they could simply be same engine as in IS300. Does that engine have D4S?

RAL

Reactions
I knew about the effect of the CAFE rules ... there's got to be a better alternative for the front facia and still satisfy CAFE ... someone said the current front fascia looks like a "catfish with an overbite" from the side profile ... I hold my nose when I look at it from the side ... front profile not so bad.

Don't know about D4S engine ... someone on here probably knows

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I think RX has similar thing so I dont think it can change, approach angle has to be steeper than on F-Sport model.

As to the 3.0, it could be just another option... I dont think they will focus on hp so it might have 250-260hp but feel completely different to 2.0t.

I wish it was 3.0tt but since it is on NX, i doubt it... they also specifically have t in the name of 2.0t models.

So in the end it could be:
1. 3.5l detuned like in IS300 AWD
2. 3.0l V6 new and high tech, still about same hp but better efficiency due to D4S, Atkinson cycle, etc, etc.

Reactions
I hope they update the nx front bumper to euro spec and add f sport to the 300h as well. Lexus also needs to update the camera as well. I think the new toyota rav4 has the 360 view camera and even hyundai tucson as well. the nx needs lots of update inside and out.

Brooks2IS

Premium Member
Reactions

Side note unrelated to the engines, but a refreshed NX needs an option for HUD!

S10

Reactions
What's wrong with the interior? I love it the way it is. Only thing I want to see improved is the multimedia/nav software... never a strong point on japanese products.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
This is kind of related, but I have an idea for the future of the Lexus Performace Lineup. First, I will talk about the F brand. Keep on being awesome, in the future, forced induction will be even more of a must in its segment. I really like the idea of superchargers even though it will probably be turbos. I also want to share my idea for a Nurburgring Package for all F models. The Nurburgring Edition would be similar to the Competition Package on M Cars and the S badge on AMGs. They would offer a horsepower gain with slightly sportier styling (Not saying F cars aren't sexy) and possibly more Carbon Fiber. Next F Sport. Currently, F Sport is very popular, and I've mostly seen it on the IS and the NX. But we all have to admit, there's little point to calling it a "Performance Brand" if there is no horsepower gain. So my idea is to make F Sport what AMG Sport used to be (AMG Sport is dead, now they are sold as regular AMG models with lower numbers like the C 43 used to be the C 400 AMG Sport). So what I am saying is not having an F Sport option on the regular models (For example, no F Sport on IS 300, 200t, 350) but to create a whole new engine and a new number to go with it. So what I'm saying is an IS (insert number greater than 350) F Sport. For most models, a 4.0 liter V6 would be an ideal engine IMO. It would have around 350 horsepower. So instead of IS 350, 200t, etc. F Sport, it would be IS 400 F Sport. That would be the only F Sport model for each model. This will be very frustrating for current F Sport owners as they will have an "old" F Sport when there is a better model that is called F Sport out there. Sorry this didn't turn out to be related at all, but it came to my mind when I heard of the NX 300 trademark with a horsepower gain.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
What's wrong with the interior? I love it the way it is. Only thing I want to see improved is the multimedia/nav software... never a strong point on japanese products.

Personal opinion, but the NX interior just doesn't appear very luxurious or befitting of a vehicle from a premium brand. It has some cool design details and is nicely packaged, but many of the finishes and detailing could use a serious upgrade. Have you sat in a Mercedes GLC lately? Interior is crazy nice. New X3 and Q5 will be out within the next 18 months as well - likely before or around the time that the refreshed NX debuts.

2016-GLC-SUV-GALLERY-001-GOI-DR-1024x574.jpg

2015-Lexus-NX-200t-interior-creme-leather-trim-overlay-1204x677.jpg

Not really even in the same league from my experience. A nip, tuck and a few changes would do big things for the NX.

RAL

Reactions
Not really even in the same league from my experience. A nip, tuck and a few changes would do big things for the NX.

I agree ... the NX interior could be a bit less sporty and a lot more luxurious with the right refresh.
Changing the fake aluminum-like plastic trim surrounding the console would help ... it scratches very easily (was already scratched when we took delivery).

mikeavelli

Reactions
I think Mercedes interiors are class leading in every category that has gotten a new generation. The new C63 interior completely shames the RC F. I'm still stunned that the C-class and GLC got such high end interiors.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Personal opinion, but the NX interior just doesn't appear very luxurious or befitting of a vehicle from a premium brand. It has some cool design details and is nicely packaged, but many of the finishes and detailing could use a serious upgrade. Have you sat in a Mercedes GLC lately? Interior is crazy nice. New X3 and Q5 will be out within the next 18 months as well - likely before or around the time that the refreshed NX debuts.

2016-GLC-SUV-GALLERY-001-GOI-DR-1024x574.jpg

2015-Lexus-NX-200t-interior-creme-leather-trim-overlay-1204x677.jpg

I think they are really designed well, but once you sit in it and explore a bit better you will see they are not using that much better (or better at all materials).

I just had some time at autoshow in all of MB products and while really nice, i think they look way better in pics. I was kind of disappointed with E class in real life since pics look so amazing...