March 2016 Lexus & Industry Sales

mikeavelli

Reactions
http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/toyota+lexus+scion+march+2016+sales+release.htm

Toyota Motor Sales Reports March 2016 Sales
  • TMS, Toyota, and Lexus divisions set March sales record in light trucks
  • RAV4 up over 15 percent
  • Lexus LUV sales up 9.5 percent
April 01, 2016
March 2016 Sales Chart

TORRANCE, Calif. (April 1, 2016) – Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., today reported March 2016 sales of 219,842 units, a decrease of 2.7 percent from March 2015 on a volume basis. With two more selling days in March 2016 compared to March 2015, sales were down 9.9 percent on a daily selling rate (DSR) basis.

Toyota division posted March 2016 sales of 189,644 units, down 2.7 percent on a volume basis and 9.9 percent on a DSR basis.

"Trucks hauled the industry to see the best March in over a decade," said Bill Fay, Toyota division group vice president and general manager. "For the Toyota division, light trucks, mostly supported by record sales of RAV4 and Highlander, posted best-ever March and first quarter sales."

Lexus posted sales of 30,198 units, down 2.8 percent on a volume basis and 10 percent on a DSR basis.

“Lexus continues to be well-positioned with our fresh LUV lineup to meet the increasing customer demand for crossover and utility vehicles in the luxury market,” said Jeff Bracken, Lexus group vice president and general manager. “Our NX posted its best-ever month, and the all new RX posted its best-month since launch. In addition, the new LX was up 45.7 percent”

March 2016 Highlights:
  • Camry posts sales of nearly 37,000 units
  • Corolla posts sales of 32,556 units
  • TMS, Toyota, and Lexus divisions all post new March record for light truck sales
  • RAV4 sales rose 15.1 percent; a best-ever March and first quarter
  • Highlander up 14.6 percent; a best-ever March and first quarter
  • 4Runner up 11 percent
  • Tacoma up 11.3 percent for the month
  • Lexus luxury utility vehicles up 9.5 percent for the month
  • NX up nearly 25 percent for the month
  • RX posts sales of 9,648 units, up over 5 percent for the month
  • LX up almost 46 percent for the month

*Note: Unless otherwise stated, all figures reflect unadjusted raw sales volume

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
YTD
Mercedes- 75,769
Lexus- 74,221
BMW- 70,613
Buick- 54,287
Audi- 41,960
Acura- 37,875
Cadillac- 35,633
Infiniti- 32,660
Lincoln- 24,905
Land Rover-
Volvo-
Porsche- 12,238
Jaguar-

Luxury & Entry Level Luxury Brands (month)
Lexus- 30,198
BMW- 30,033
Mercedes- 28,164
Audi- 18,392
Buick- 18,207
Acura- 14,852
Infiniti- 13,375
Cadillac- 13,053
Lincoln- 9,689
Volvo-
Land Rover-
Porsche- 4,323
Jaguar-

Flagship
S-class- 1,332
7 series- 850
LS- 469
XJ-

A8- 422
Panamera- 334
Equus-
K900- 95
CT6-35 (not sure where to put this car, starts at 55k to 90k but no V-8)

Mid-Size
E-class/CLS- 4,095
5 series- 3,157
GS- 1,524
CTS- 1,499
A6- 1,453
MKS- 781
Q70- 577
S80-
RLX/RL- 130

Entry Level Lux

3series- 6,218
ES- 5.792
Q50- 5.590
C-class-
TLX- 3,768
IS- 3,679
A4- 3,226
A3- 3,173
MKZ- 2,480
Lacrosse- 2,275
ATS- 1,859
1/2 series- 1,606
Regal- 1,276
CLA-
S60-
CT- 972
Q40- 22
TSX-2 (huh)

Midsize Luxury Coupes
4series- 4,710
RC- 1.194
A5- 784
Q60- 105

Small SUV
RDX- 5,310
Q5- 3,728
GLK/GLC- 4,871
NX- 4,533
X3- 4,466
GLC-
XC60-
MKC- 1,956
QX50- 1,512
Macan- 1,123
X4- 689

Midsize SUV
RX- 9,648
Enclave- 5,116
M-class/GLE- 4,730
MDX- 4,088
SRX- 4,071
X5- 3,617
QX60-
XC90-
GX- 1,961
MKX- 2,771
Range Rover Sport-
X6- 635
Cayenne- 1,294
Q7- 3,004
Touareg- 394
MKT- 390
QX70- 661

Flagship SUV
Escalade- 3,328
GL- 858
QX80- 1,403
Range Rover-
Navigator- 1,311
LX- 424
G-wagon- 349

Other Coupes

Mustang- 12,563
Challenger-
Camaro- 6,879
Corvette- 2,753
911/918- 939
Boxster/Cayman- 633
A7- 605
370Z- 576
6series- 389
SLK-314
SL- 304
AMG GT- 140
Z4- 120
TT- 308
i8- 89
GTR-66
ELR-
Viper-
Alpha4C-
R8- 7
LFA- 2

Last edited:

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-04-01-lexus-nx-march-2016-sales.jpg

Lexus USA has reported 30,198 total sales for March 2016, a 10.0% decrease over last year.
View the original article post

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
To me the biggest news is the GS' sales drop of 40% from March 2015 and a 32% drop YTD from 2015, despite the mid-cycle refresh. :confused:

On the positive, the NX has had its best monthly sales yet while the RX seems untouched. So much for the NX cannibalizing into the RX and instead one can speculate it's doing that to the Lexus sedans.

Reactions
To me the biggest news is the GS' sales drop of 40% from March 2015 and a 32% drop YTD from 2015, despite the mid-cycle refresh. :confused:

On the positive, the NX has had its best monthly sales yet while the RX seems untouched. So much for the NX cannibalizing into the RX and instead one can speculate it's doing that to the Lexus sedans.

Not surprising that even luxury buyers' tastes are towards SUVs/trucks, so car sales are bound to suffer. Its the same story with BMW and Mercedes too.

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
Many things:

1. Last March had 5 Sundays in the month, which may be affecting sales figures relative to this year. This year, April will have 5 Saturday sales days, so April 2016 sales should be way ahead of last year throughout the industry. This month will be much more telling than March on where you stand in the industry.
2. Lexus NX had a very strong month, but the Acura RDX had an even stronger month, and is not about 1000 ahead of the NX for the year. MDX sales are dropping, so Acura may be stealing from Peter to pay Paul.
3. The Lexus RX is only up 7% for the year, a modest increase for a full redesign. I expected more like 15-20% after a redesign.
4. The refreshed GS and IS are struggling. The IS has lost sales ever since it received the new engines and maybe the market is not digging the new grille on the GS. Sales are down over 30% this year. If the IS and GS don't pull their own weight, Lexus is not winning any sales titles, so you may see Lexus change their incentive programs soon.
5. Mercedes is ahead by 1000 units, but they are bottom-feeding the market. The CLA sedan is $5k less than the Lexus IS to start, and that provides almost 7k sales so far, and the same goes for the GLA, which is $2500 less than the Lexus NX.
6. BMW is 4k units behind Lexus. The 3-series is down 30% and the 5-series is down almost 20%. Outside of X1, new 7 and X3 the rest of the brand is down big. Overall down over 10% this year
BD

Last edited:
Reactions
fgsdfgdsfgsdgsdgsdfgds.jpg

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...ch-u-s-luxury-sales-as-crossovers-draw-buyers
Toyota Motor Corp.’s Lexus, bolstered by demand for its crossovers, sold the most luxury vehicles in the U.S. for a second straight month in March, closing in on Mercedes-Benz’s first-quarter lead.

None of the three largest sellers of premium vehicles in the U.S. had a gain for the month. Lexus deliveries fell 2.8 percent to 30,198, even with increases of 25 percent for its NX compact crossover and 46 percent for the LX SUV. BMW AG’s namesake brand reported a 12 percent drop to 30,033 while Mercedes posted a 5.9 percent decline to 28,164.

“Look at luxury according to segment mix,” Kevin Tynan, an analyst for Bloomberg Intelligence, said in an interview before the carmakers released results. “Truck is holding up much better and I think that’s a fundamental shift in what we’re buying.”

Lexus outperformed its two biggest rivals as its SUV and crossover sales climbed 9.5 percent while the brand’s car deliveries slid 14 percent. SUVs and crossovers are benefiting from fuel efficiency improvements that are driving an appetite for larger models, Tynan said. Cheaper interest costs are also helping to spur demand, sending the rate of leases for premium models to near record highs.

“The driving dynamics are much better, fuel economy is much better, so essentially they’re trucks that ride like cars,” Tynan said of luxury SUVs. Lower interest rates are “creating affordability for more expensive vehicles, so more people have access.”

Industry slowdown

The drop in sales for the three premium brands comes as industrywide results for the month broadly lagged analyst estimates. The slower sales may be a sign that automakers are tempering gains after a record-setting run last year.

For the first quarter, Daimler AG’s Mercedes held the top spot in luxury deliveries, followed by Lexus and BMW. The third-place spot for BMW stands in contrast to its ranking last year, when the brand won the annual luxury title. The figures exclude BMW’s Mini models and Daimler’s work trucks and Smart cars, which aren’t luxury vehicles.

“It’s been a tumultuous first quarter of the year for business in the U.S. with plenty of volatility even in the premium vehicle segment,” Ludwig Willisch, BMW’s chief executive officer for North America, said in a statement.

Infiniti, Audi

Some luxury brands did manage gains in March. Nissan Motor Co.’s Infiniti said sales rose 10 percent to 13,775 vehicles. Volkswagen AG’s Audi reported a 7.5 percent increase to 18,392 cars and SUVs, the brand’s 63rd consecutive month of record deliveries.

Randy Parker, vice president of Infiniti Americas, cited consumer confidence, even as a measure of that sentiment dipped slightly in March -- a third straight decline -- as concerns persisted that the U.S. economy will cool.

“When consumer confidence is high, that bodes well for the premium space, and we’re taking advantage of the wave,” Parker said.

Scott Keogh, president of Audi of America, said the rate of potential buyers who say they’ll consider the brand has doubled to 68 percent, helped by new products and dealer improvements. That has bolstered Audi as its corporate parent struggles after admitting to cheating on diesel-emissions tests.

“When a strong brand that’s doing well goes into a storm, it’s able to navigate through it,’’ Keogh said. “But to me this isn’t just a business issue. It’s a trust issue that I want to make right.’’

Reactions: Den

Hamed Al Ketbi

Founding Member
Reactions
I can see the mid-size cars are effected badly while the SUV are growing.
But what happened to the GX?
I think Lexus should focus on updating the GX and also for the RX, I think the NX is taking over even though it is the lower version!
But I am the happiest for the Lexus LX it has a huge grow!

Hemi

Premium Member
Reactions
Dont you have mistakes in mentioning RC a d RX in % for months difference?

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
Couple of good points here.
For all you ES haters, LOOK at the sales figures. SMDH. I tried swinging a deal to trade my 2015 for the refreshed 2016 but Lexus went all Turning German this month asking for OVER $6,000 in total inceptions on current leases offers for me to keep same payment. Those are advertised deals. Was told my payment would go UP $60 a month. I'm good.

Yeah, IS sales are butt hurt. If I were in the market today, I'd pass. No interest here in a 4-cylinder. Hence, they'll need to pry the keys out of my hands while a flatbed repos my Matador Red Mica IS250 F Sport in 24 months. This may be the first time I actually keep a lease to full term because I can't get this color or this powertrain ever again.
Aiming for a refreshed GS next time, but my current financials make that a marginally realistic goal.

Controversial redesign of the RX isn't emptying the lots according to this post. Get off this enthusiast board and the public perception out on places like Facebook is people have had enough of the over the top Spindle Grill treatment.
I personally think the new RX has a futuristic look with the sharper angles that is appealing to me. And I am NOT a truck / SUV person at all.

What I do find odd is the NX. Sat in a couple and was at the dealer a couple of times during its frenetic release. People were literally waiting in line to take a test drive. They have a baby RX appeal to them, but after sitting in a few of them and doing a walk around, it's most likely the Lexus closest to a Toyota. Too much a RAV4 for my taste.

While the introduction of the GS F has brought some buzz, precious few will actually have the ability to possess one. With the six figure LC 500 still two model years away, there really isn't anything trend worthy at the moment. Remember it took seven years for Lexus to refresh the IS so I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. I see SO many IS F Sports on the streets at any given time, they're not a loss leader by any means in S Fla.
End of model year deals are coming soon. I bought both of my 2015's in May, after all. There's always a better deal around the corner.

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
Many things:

1. Last March had 5 Sundays in the month, which may be affecting sales figures relative to this year. This year, April will have 5 Saturday sales days, so April 2016 sales should be way ahead of last year throughout the industry. This month will be much more telling than March on where you stand in the industry.
2. Lexus NX had a very strong month, but the Acura RDX had an even stronger month, and is not about 1000 ahead of the NX for the year. MDX sales are dropping, so Acura may be stealing from Peter to pay Paul.
3. The Lexus RX is only up 7% for the year, a modest increase for a full redesign. I expected more like 15-20% after a redesign.
4. The refreshed GS and IS are struggling. The IS has lost sales ever since it received the new engines and maybe the market is not digging the new grille on the GS. Sales are down over 30% this year. If the IS and GS don't pull their own weight, Lexus is not winning any sales titles, so you may see Lexus change their incentive programs soon.
5. Mercedes is ahead by 1000 units, but they are bottom-feeding the market. The CLA sedan is $5k less than the Lexus IS to start, and that provides almost 7k sales so far, and the same goes for the GLA, which is $2500 less than the Lexus NX.
6. BMW is 4k units behind Lexus. The 3-series is down 30% and the 5-series is down almost 20%. Outside of X1, new 7 and X3 the rest of the brand is down big. Overall down over 10% this year
BD

:party::party:BMW sales down? They deserve it. :thumbsup:

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
Well here's a possible reason sales are down. Thread inspired me to hit up my J.M. Lexus app to see what changed for April incentives...."New Specials Coming Soon".
It's the first Saturday in April, yo! Any car dealer on any given Saturday has the potential to sell me a car. I always end up buying when I'm not looking because I run into some stupid good deal I can't pass on.
Damn, Lexus. :broken_heart:

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Well here's a possible reason sales are down. Thread inspired me to hit up my J.M. Lexus app to see what changed for April incentives...."New Specials Coming Soon".
It's the first Saturday in April, yo! Any car dealer on any given Saturday has the potential to sell me a car. I always end up buying when I'm not looking because I run into some stupid good deal I can't pass on.
Damn, Lexus. :broken_heart:
Haha so if can predict the future what will you be buying?!

James

Founding Member
Reactions
I know sales are down pretty much across the board. But wasn't that the prediction for this year anyway? I mean the RX is still almost selling 10k a month. In a supposedly down year and the NX success I would have to say the RX is still kicking some butt in the first quarter of 2016.

arrow1982

Fan
Reactions
In Europe People are buying Q5s instead of A6s. And X3s instead of 5ers. So i think the NX cuts into the GS.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Get off this enthusiast board and the public perception out on places like Facebook is people have had enough of the over the top Spindle Grill treatment.
I personally think the new RX has a futuristic look with the sharper angles that is appealing to me. And I am NOT a truck / SUV person at all.

In fairness, 10 years ago the same Facebook perception was that Lexus has no handling, no power, and bland styling. I see new RXes out on the road pretty much daily and I agree that they look futuristic, much less bland than the previous model. I even think they look great in white, which is normally not my favorite automotive color.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Dont you have mistakes in mentioning RC a d RX in % for months difference?

All percentages are calculated by the Daily Sales Rate (DSR), which takes into account the number of days in the month that dealerships could sell cars. March 2016 had 27 selling days, March 2015 had 25 selling days.