Design Review: The Lexus LC 500

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-03-31-lexus-lc-500-design-review.jpg

Robert Cumberford of Automobile Magazine has turned his design eye towards the Lexus LC 500.
View the original article post

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I find his dissection of the design a bit ... to use his word ... "convoluted"
Like krew, I've been a long-time follower and fan of Robert Cumberford's design analyses (probably for a decade or 2 longer, even, given our age difference ;) ) and I feel that the older Mr. Cumberford gets, the more obtuse, puzzling, cantankerous and...yes...convoluted his thoughts and opinions.

I personally disagree with the way he gives short shrift to Lexus sedans as a whole. The 1st and 2nd-gen IS, original, Giugiaro-designed GS, the current LS and even (gasp!) 2nd, 5th and pre-facelift 6th-gen ES are beautiful, attractive designs. I remember being particularly infuriated by his "design analysis" of the 2nd-gen IS, which was just a tiny box with a single front 3/4 view and a couple of pithy comments about how much it bored him.

On a random note, though, I can't wait to see what Mr. Cumberford has to say about Toyota's new Setsuna Concept ( http://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/detail/11559474/ ), which was, I'd say, at least partially inspired by the stillborn Cumberford Martinique that he hoped to build for sale ( http://www.banovsky.com/archive/cumberford-martinique ).

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Like krew, I've been a long-time follower and fan of Robert Cumberford's design analyses (probably for a decade or 2 longer, even, given our age difference ;) ) and I feel that the older Mr. Cumberford gets, the more obtuse, puzzling, cantankerous and...yes...convoluted his thoughts and opinions.

Oh, I agree completely. It's been hit and miss for a few years with Cumberford. Much like Clarkson and Chris Harris, I ignore their Lexus coverage and focus on learning more about other brands. When it comes to Lexus, I figure it's about agreeing to disagree.