Lexus Safety System+ Will Be Standard on Most Models by End of 2017

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-03-30-lexus-rx-safety-system-plus.jpg

Announced today, the Lexus Safety System+ package will be included as standard equipment on nearly all new models sold in the USA by the end of 2017.
View the original article post

Reactions: Den

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Agreed, these are great safety features and not excessively intrusive to the driver.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Any idea what the cars that won't receive it are? My first guess would be the CT.
To quote the last sentence of Krew's original article post, The GX 460 will be the only Lexus model to not offer the Lexus Safety System+ as standard by the end of 2017.

As to the rest of the Toyota lineup, the original press release ( http://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota.com/releases/lexus+toyota+automated+braking+standard+2017.htm ) states that
25 out of 30 Lexus and Toyota models will include Lexus Safety System+™ or Toyota Safety Sense™ as standard equipment... Models that will not offer the systems standard by the end of 2017 include Lexus GX, Toyota Mirai, 4Runner, and 86 (jointly developed with Subaru), and Scion iA (developed by Mazda). Mirai and Scion iA currently provide pre-collision including AEB as standard equipment.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Can this be used as more proof that the GX will possibly die?
Not necessarily. What it does say is that GX (and its downmarket Toyota 4Runner fraternal twin) will not receive any major changes between now and the end of the 2017 calendar year (2017 and perhaps 2018 model year). After that, it's anybody's guess. As early as the January 2018 Detroit Auto Show we might see either a second mid-life facelift to the current GX/4Runner or all-new generations of both vehicles. Both models dying at that time isn't impossible, but I'd say improbable...

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
Great! Both my 2015 leases will be up then.
It's very confusing to go from my IS F Sport with Blind Spot Monitor to my ES without it. You get complacent with these tools in only some cars.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Same here. Once I got comfortable with the Blind Spot Monitor it changed how I drive, and it's hard to do without it.

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
Same here. Once I got comfortable with the Blind Spot Monitor it changed how I drive, and it's hard to do without it.
Believe it or not, it goes off if a bicycle crosses behind me. The backup camera keeps pedestrians from scratching my paint and it's invaluable when backing up between those inconsiderate drivers with the pickup trucks and SUV's longer than a boat.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
The backup camera keeps pedestrians from scratching my paint and it's invaluable when backing up between those inconsiderate drivers with the pickup trucks and SUV's longer than a boat.

Yes! The safety sensors are the greatest in that situation. The LS, even in normal wheelbase, is not what I'd consider to be a short car. But it seems like many times when I park it and then come out of the store something much longer is on at least one side, especially with the recent revival of the SUV craze. With the various sensors and stuff I can back out, slowly, with confidence.

Reactions: RAL