Guessing Game: What Will Happen with the Lexus GX?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
16-03-17-lexus-gx-defense.jpg

A Lexus GX enthusiast believes the recent RX L trademark means the GX will live to fight another day.
View the original article post

Last edited:

GuoxJason

Fan
Reactions
That is too bad. The body-on-frame GX rides smoother and quieter than even the LS and especially the RX.

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
Really good points. I think the greatest reason, that you cited, for keeping the GX in the lineup is that it fills that $35k gap between the RX and LX. There is a large group of customers in there that Lexus would potentially lose if they dropped the GX. That along with the fact that the RX/crossovers are not as capable when it comes to towing

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Really good points. I think the greatest reason, that you cited, for keeping the GX in the lineup is that it fills that $35k gap between the RX and LX. There is a large group of customers in there that Lexus would potentially lose if they dropped the GX. That along with the fact that the RX/crossovers are not as capable when it comes to towing

I agree with you (obviously)! RX-L is a great but utilitarian solution to the three row CUV market. It is, however, still an RX - a vehicle that's really a class below the X5, Range Rover, Cayenne, GLS, etc.

While I love the GX and want to see it survive for personal reasons, I really don't see how an RX-L could close the gap between a $42,000 RX and $89,000 LX. Theres a whole, huge segment that Lexus would be walking away from.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
from day 1 of GX life Lexus annonced that GX to Lexus as GL to Benz
and LX to Lexus as G to Benz and that's will stay
next LX minimum price start maybe 3 digits to go with the top guys and the next GX to go for X5 , Q7 , GL , XC90 and so on
RX-L may be something like the china with more legroom and maybe also 3 rows not confirmed yet
adding to this a Sporty RWD based CUV to go for Cayenne aka "TX" and the small NX
so you have a perfect Lineup
LX as always for the top guys from Bentley , Rolls Royce , Land Rover
GX as always for the fullsize as i said X5 , Q7 , GL , XC90 ,
TX for sporty as Cayenne , X6 , GLE coupe , Range Rover Sport
RX for GLE , MDX
NX for Q5, X3, RDX

Reactions
The GX is truly niche vehicle - my inlaws have owned five of them and will continue to do so if I had to assume. The LX is too big and the RX is too small and the GX is just right. I do hope that the GX continues to soldier on as it does have a good following and Lexus does sell quite a few of them still. The interior could use some refinement and some improvements, I feel that my wife's RX and my ES both have a nicer center stack design, and the little screen between the tachometer and speedometer is pretty sad. A larger fuel tank wouldn't hurt as well. But that being said, the formula is successful as it remains profitable. Love that growl when you start up the GX!

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
My sense is that we will know something sooner rather than later related to GX.

2016 marks the 6th model year for the GX, which in Lexus land, generally coincides with a redesign. I would assume that the 2017 GX is going to either be refreshed, significantly refreshed or completely redesigned.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Its funny how times have changed but its also a bit sad how slow Lexus has moved when they were first in this segment.
LX 450 was first. Until then it was just the Range Rover and the G-Wagon you could only get grey market
RX came along as first car based SUV. Influences entire industry
GX kind of came unexpected. Lexus was bashed for having 3 SUVs.
NX came pretty late but has done well.

Now Look at Today
Range Rover went from two to I think 5 SUVs
BMW went from none to 5-6
Mercedes had the ML now has 5-6. The G Wagon is here and soldiers on.
Audi had none now has 4-5
Hell Bentley has a SUV
Porsche has two

I strongly believe there are those people that want a rugged SUV, they won't want a car-based one. I don't think Lexus needs to choose if they don't have to. Sell the RX-L and GX even if it hurts GX sales a bit. Figure things out. Its obvious the Germans are going to sell as many SUVs as they can bring to the market. There is a X7 coming for example. Obviously the Prado sells very well worldwide so this isn't a USA centric vehicle.

Another area Lexus is sorely missing is a true sports SUV. A true Cayenne/X5 fighter. And then a true F car. Lexus has sales hits but not really passionate driving SUVs though looks are much more exotic than in the past. If they transformed the GX into anything, that would be amazing, like a GS based, RWD biased sports SUV. I know wishful thinking :D

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
from day 1 of GX life Lexus annonced that GX to Lexus as GL to Benz
and LX to Lexus as G to Benz and that's will stay
next LX minimum price start maybe 3 digits to go with the top guys and the next GX to go for X5 , Q7 , GL , XC90 and so on
RX-L may be something like the china with more legroom and maybe also 3 rows not confirmed yet
adding to this a Sporty RWD based CUV to go for Cayenne aka "TX" and the small NX
so you have a perfect Lineup
LX as always for the top guys from Bentley , Rolls Royce , Land Rover
GX as always for the fullsize as i said X5 , Q7 , GL , XC90 ,
TX for sporty as Cayenne , X6 , GLE coupe , Range Rover Sport
RX for GLE , MDX
NX for Q5, X3, RDX
Your CUV/SUV segments are a little off. Here it is:

LX competes with G-Class AND GL/GLS-Class(since the GL has the same proportions as the LX), QX80, Escalade, Navigator
GX competes with Q7, XC90, X5(7-seater form), MDX, QX60
RX competes with X5(5-seater form), Cayenne(not the GTS), GLE-Class, QX70
NX competes with Macan(not Turbo), Q5, GLC-Class, XC60, MKX, XT5, QX50, RDX, X3
UX will most likely compete with Q3, X1, GLA-Class, Range Rover Evoque, QX30

Brooks2IS

Premium Member
Reactions
Wonderful article, thanks for posting. I've mentioned here on the site that we previously had a 2006 GX470 for quite a while and it was the best car we've ever owned. It won't be too long before we have another one.

Reactions
As much as I like the GX, i'd love to see it turn into a true competitor to a Porsche Cayenne, and V8 powered X5. Also it will be very interesting to see Lexus' next generation Engines. The 4.6L V8, 5.7L V8 Lexus has been using are just about 10 years old now and will be most likely replaced with some kind of turbo/supercharged engine. I'm sure the engine will be a gem, it's just taking forever.

Next Generation LS i'm sure is going to happen in the near future, i'm mean the current LS has been on sale for 9 whole years 2007-2016, and along with it a new engine.

What do you guys think?

Will lexus replace the 3.5L V6 312HP/ with a 3.0L Turbo 300-400HP?
replace the 4.6L V8 in the LS and the GX with a 4.0L forced induction V8?
the 5.7 phased out? LX , GX, LS use same engine with different performance tunes. (remember the days of LX/LS/GX/GS430)
5.0L V8 I don't think will phased out soon, when it debuted with 467HP Lexus said they will have more potential to get more power of it and it really gives the GSF, RCF,LC500 quite a unique experience compared to its competitors turbo engines.

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
I don't see the GX going anywhere. Sales have skyrocketed since it gained its Spindle Grille. Strangely, the Toyota 4Runner has also seen a sales explosing of even greater proportions, also saving it form the knife. The 4Runner 3-4 years ago was also rumored to be facing extinction.

If sales were still 12-15k, it probably wouldn't make it, but these vehicles are not just profitable but popular. They $50k price point gives the GX a nice hint of value in the segment. the TX would slot in over it, starting around $60k, so Lexus will have a space to fill for those who need to tow or off-road. I expect to see a new GX/4Runner in 2017, with a minimal price increase.
BD

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I expect to see a new GX/4Runner in 2017, with a minimal price increase.
BD

We know now that 2017 4Runner will be a carryover, but to your point, I think we will see the 2018, 6th gen 4Runner debut in the middle to later part of next year. Just wondering if they will let the GX go on for another year in the same fashion. Maybe so?

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
We know now that 2017 4Runner will be a carryover, but to your point, I think we will see the 2018, 6th gen 4Runner debut in the middle to later part of next year. Just wondering if they will let the GX go on for another year in the same fashion. Maybe so?

Toyota/Lexus usually have the Toyota come out first and the Lexus come a year later, if they're sharing a platform.
This should be the case with the Toyota Prius this year, Lexus CT next year.
BD

Reactions
I think the new GX will continue its niche market of people wanting a premium rugged SUV instead of a crossover. The refresh has been doing very well and i think the only reason the current generation did poorly on launch was just poor styling.

Reactions
I think the new GX will continue its niche market of people wanting a premium rugged SUV instead of a crossover. The refresh has been doing very well and i think the only reason the current generation did poorly on launch was just poor styling.
Gas prices too affect sales; they weren't as low as they are now when the GX was first introduced.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Your CUV/SUV segments are a little off. Here it is:

LX competes with G-Class AND GL/GLS-Class(since the GL has the same proportions as the LX), QX80, Escalade, Navigator
GX competes with Q7, XC90, X5(7-seater form), MDX, QX60
RX competes with X5(5-seater form), Cayenne(not the GTS), GLE-Class, QX70
NX competes with Macan(not Turbo), Q5, GLC-Class, XC60, MKX, XT5, QX50, RDX, X3
UX will most likely compete with Q3, X1, GLA-Class, Range Rover Evoque, QX30

and where's the TX then
i think the TX will replace the GX in your scheme
and the GX & LX will share the top lux. in a way like G class and GLS class
the G still the most expensive car in Benz lineup even more than the S 65 AMG coupe and this is what i see the LX will hit then leave the other top to the GX

Reactions
and where's the TX then
i think the TX will replace the GX in your scheme
and the GX & LX will share the top lux. in a way like G class and GLS class
the G still the most expensive car in Benz lineup even more than the S 65 AMG coupe and this is what i see the LX will hit then leave the other top to the GX

I agree with most. besides the Porsche comparisons. A base cayenne is almost $20,000 more than a RX so hardly in the same market. Same with the Macan. Besides the Cayenne and Macan are pretty bespoke premium sport SUVs it wouldn't be fair to compare cars that are so much more expensive to Lexus' N/RX.

The NX is fantastic car but when you get to the Porsche' Macan's level of performance a Rav4 underpinned Lexus isn't going to cut it.

I mentioned this in another post but I was saying I'd love to see the GX turn into a true competitor to the Porsche Cayenne, purpose built platform, with tons of style and power. Granted the Cayenne and VW Touareg share underpinnings but that's not a bad thing since the touareg is a fine machine as well.

Reactions
The GX needs a redesign. From owning one for the past 5 years and looking to buy a new one now, not much has been changed at all. Its also odd how the price is the same as it was when i bought it five years ago. I can clearly see the RX with the third row taking over for the current GX and those who want the bigger car getting the RX or looking elsewhere. The GX is not selling as it used to. Also, more people are going for the car platform for the SUVs as most companies are shifting that way. How often do you need the off-road capabilities of the GX that the RX cant handle?

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Needing off-road capabilities has never been more than a niche factor in SUV sales. A lot of customers, especially at the mid-to-higher end, want an SUV with real off-road capabilities, even if they never use them. That's pretty much Range Rover's entire reason for existing, and the GX plays there too. A GX F that was more Cayenne-like would probably sell like hotcakes.