Lexus has "No Plans" to Use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto Systems

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-02-23-lexus-no-carplay-android-auto-400x200.jpg

Toyota and Lexus "prefer to use our in-house proprietary platforms" for infotainment systems.
View the original article post

GuoxJason

Fan
Reactions
NO!!! The lags... The inconsistencies... The lack of updates... The incompatibilities...
If anything, at least have a user interface that is unique to Lexus and not shared with Toyota.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
well, obviously they will not tell you to buy next lexus in 12 months or whenever this comes.

But let me also point out that no matter what, it will be proprietary platform that has support for CarPlay and Android auto... just like now. So you will always be able to use it without any kind of phone, or with iphone or with android... So for any manufacturer adding support for these, it will be on top of their proprietary system, this is how these work.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
well, obviously they will not tell you to buy next lexus in 12 months or whenever this comes.

I don't know -- if the comment had been something like "we don't discuss future product plans", I might believe that Toyota would be adding the functionality shortly. This seems more definitive that it could be a while before we see either system in a Lexus.

That said, this is just the USA. CarPlay or Android Auto could easily be added to other markets.

Nate Wiener

Premium Member
Reactions
Disappointing. They must think their in-house proprietary system is on par with Apple or Google's systems, which is disturbing. They won't have much luck attracting the younger demographic they're seeking with the NX & RC if they don't improve the infotainment system pronto.

Reactions
Sadly Lexus seem to be behind not just their premium rivals but even volume manufacturers when it comes to modern technology trends!

Reactions
This is a bad move by Lexus. I was told by a corporate guy that it was a privacy issue and they Apple and Google wanted too much customer information. The problem is that a Gen Y will make a decision to not even look at a car if it is not technologically advanced enough. That is my only complaint about Lexus, the tech is subpar.

Dreski

Fan
Reactions
I am not expert in this field for sure. If they are concerned about privacy, then why not add another disclaimer for CarPlay when you turn it on. There's a disclaimer on everything from cup holders to picking your boogers in a car. This is a step backwards and their in-car tech is lagging even compared to bargain brands. #imo

Onelog

Follower
Reactions
Maybe they're thinking of pairing with microsoft? Just a thought.......
ugh, I can only think of the system that's in my mom's 2008 Lincoln. Sync was just horrible, so I'm sure they can only move up from there, hah

mikeavelli

Reactions
The Android systems in the Infiniti Q50 has been a disaster. It was one of the main reasons for the cars initial delay and continues to be a sore spot with people. I can't blame Lexus here.

BOOSTEDLEX

Premium Member
Reactions
IMO I think the should let Apple take care of this part in all automobiles, then stuff might just work like it's supposed to. (one ie: Bluetooth)

Izzam@RegencyAuto

Founding Member
Reactions
Answer is obvious. They would be sacrificing their 1st placement in the JD Power IQS.

"Because issues with technology impact overall dependability, they also impact repurchase intent. The study finds that 56 percent of owners who report no problems with their vehicle say they “definitely will” purchase the same brand next time, compared with 43 percent of those who report three or more problems. Together with the fact that 15 percent of new-vehicle buyers indicate they avoided a model because it lacked the latest technological features—up from just 4 percent in 2014[2]—technology clearly plays a key role in affecting future purchase decisions."

RAL

Reactions

UPDATE: "NO PLANS" may not be the final word!

Yesterday, Mar. 13, the Lexus Advisory Board (LAB) was asked for feedback about our "expectations for in-vehicle connectivity and ways Lexus can meet those expectations".

They asked specifically about our interest in Apple CarPlay and Android Auto Systems integration in our next vehicle.

At least . . . corporate seems to recognize the demand . . . "for near seamless integration of certain smartphones with a vehicle".

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
UPDATE: "NO PLANS" may not be the final word!

Yesterday, Mar. 13, the Lexus Advisory Board (LAB) was asked for feedback about our "expectations for in-vehicle connectivity and ways Lexus can meet those expectations".

They asked specifically about our interest in Apple CarPlay and Android Auto Systems integration in our next vehicle.

At least . . . corporate seems to recognize the demand . . . "for near seamless integration of certain smartphones with a vehicle".

Very interesting -- I'm sure the feedback will be overwhelmingly in favor of adopting both systems. Looking back now, I think the quote from the spokesperson is just playing it safe. I can't imagine Lexus not adopting CarPlay & Android Auto.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I was told by a corporate guy that it was a privacy issue and they Apple and Google wanted too much customer information.

But doesn't Carplay just pull information directly from your iPhone? It might be just the opposite, maybe Apple & Google don't want to share customer information with manufacturers.