Lexus February 2016 Sales Report

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-03-01-lexus-rx-february-sales-2016.jpg

Lexus was the best selling luxury brand in the USA last month.
View the original article post

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
To me, the most eye-opening number is the NX coming up just 117 units short of perennial #2 selling Lexus ES in February. If this pattern continues, we'll soon see NX displace ES as the second-best-selling Lexus in the U.S. It's a crossover-mad world we're living in, indeed.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
To me, the NX's success in today's market is expected. And the RX (as a trend-setting crossover SUV) has been the top-selling Lexus model for years and continues as such.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
To me, the most eye-opening number is the NX coming up just 117 units short of perennial #2 selling Lexus ES in February. If this pattern continues, we'll soon see NX displace ES as the second-best-selling Lexus in the U.S. It's a crossover-mad world we're living in, indeed.
I'll have one soon! NX is a great vehicle especially in lovely Chicago (for the wife)which Mother Nature decides to give us snow on March 1st when we really haven't had any all winter!

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

Lexus Europe revealed yesterday that over 180,000 NX's were sold so far worldwide, since November 2014. It is by far the best selling Lexus model only new RX has a chance to catch it.

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
I'm not a fan of crossovers compared to sedans, especially with Lexus' great car line-up, but clearly the public and Lexus buyers love them. I'll just wind up the clock, put some coal on the fire, blow out the lamp and go to bed.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
^ Good observations on trends, but premium sport sedans still have their appeal and produce profitable sales especially for the premium brands (Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Jag). Often the owners of these sport sedans have another vehicle in household that is a crossover/SUV of some sort.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
the only car i have beside the 2008 LS460 is the 2006 SC430
i drove them even in this much snow we have and even if i have money i will buy again coupe and sedan

Brooks2IS

Premium Member
Reactions
Though Lexus sedan sales may be down, isn't that true across the market? I would assume with Mercedes, BMW, and Audi releasing more and more crossovers their sedan sales are declining as well.

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
A Lexus luxury Truck may be a good idea - it is rumoured that Mercedes are going to launch a lux truck. Very popular vehicles and useful and Lexus have a wonderful foundation to work from with the Toyota models.
The ES is popular really only in the USA front wheel drive and Camry mechanics will not cut it in the rest of world particularly Europe - the German brands offer maybe less luxury but more cutting edge tech or at least they are perceived that way. The ES remains the odd one out of the range and yet it has proved the foundation of Lexus from the start although tailing off now it would seem. SUV models are taking over from the large family sedan in all the brands. Lexus could probably do well with a real competitor to the X5 and Range Rover, they have the LX but it really is a different kind of vehicle from the European models. Interesting as always - thank you Krew.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
A Lexus luxury Truck may be a good idea - it is rumoured that Mercedes are going to launch a lux truck. Very popular vehicles and useful and Lexus have a wonderful foundation to work from with the Toyota models.
The ES is popular really only in the USA front wheel drive and Camry mechanics will not cut it in the rest of world particularly Europe - the German brands offer maybe less luxury but more cutting edge tech or at least they are perceived that way. The ES remains the odd one out of the range and yet it has proved the foundation of Lexus from the start although tailing off now it would seem. SUV models are taking over from the large family sedan in all the brands. Lexus could probably do well with a real competitor to the X5 and Range Rover, they have the LX but it really is a different kind of vehicle from the European models. Interesting as always - thank you Krew.
Motoring.com.au did an interview with the Lexus Australia Rep, and he said that a Mid-Sized Luxury Pickup Truck is a possibility.
Lexus-Pickup-1024x.jpg

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
I don't see a viable market for a Lexus truck. Toyota trucks are great sellers in their classes, and Lexus bringing out a truck would just step on those sales. For those looking for more luxury in their trucks, there is the Limited trim levels. Those prices are already ~40k for the Tacoma and ~50k for the Tundra. I could be wrong, but I don't know if there is a need/desire for anything above these.

Motoring.com.au did an interview with the Lexus Australia Rep, and he said that a Mid-Sized Luxury Pickup Truck is a possibility.

Motoring.au tends to post a lot of stories based on unverified rumors, I wouldn't necessarily believe this until something more official is stated.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Motoring.au tends to post a lot of stories based on unverified rumors, I wouldn't necessarily believe this until something more official is stated.

Even the quote from Motoring was pretty lukewarm:

“It’s one of the study items so far we’re looking at,” [Tanaka] said via an interpreter.

Tanaka cautioned that the ute was “the least possible” of the vehicles Lexus is currently studying, which include a seven-seat RX and a compact SUV, but his confirmation that a ute is under consideration is significant.

Tanaka-san admits the priority is “very low” for a Lexus ute – at present – but with established European brands such as Renault and Fiat also joining the ute segment, it’s clear the segment is appealing to an increasing number of unlikely car-makers.

Lexus Europe revealed yesterday that over 180,000 NX's were sold so far worldwide, since November 2014. It is by far the best selling Lexus model only new RX has a chance to catch it.

This is a very good point -- the RX may be the best selling model in North America, but the NX could very well be the top selling Lexus model worldwide in 2016.

Reactions
Though Lexus sedan sales may be down, isn't that true across the market? I would assume with Mercedes, BMW, and Audi releasing more and more crossovers their sedan sales are declining as well.
That's definitely somewhat the case at Toyota...while the Corolla increased sales, and Camry stayed #1 (flat sales though), car sales were disappointing compared to the growth all the trucks had.